Pop Top Strap Alternative / Hack

smilie121

VCDS User
T6 Pro
I know there are some older threads (which I have gone through) but bear with me.

I see some people have cut their long straps very short requiring them to thread through the latch before tightening after lowering the roof.

See this video

Question is - Has anyone done this and are there any concerns about not having the long straps in place to help the pop top in winds? Or any other downsides to report?

Also interested in this Youtube Video

Any thoughts/ suggestions greatly appreciated

I’ve had short straps on my Reimo roof since installation. If I’m expecting strong winds with the roof elevated I park the rear of the van into the wind.
IMO any roofs exposure to side winds is the worst case scenario and the long straps are not going to help.
If you have a gut feeling it’s too windy put the roof down, I wouldn’t be chancing an expensive repair by relying on two straps.

I’ve had short straps on my Reimo roof since installation. If I’m expecting strong winds with the roof elevated I park the rear of the van into the wind.
IMO any roofs exposure to side winds is the worst case scenario and the long straps are not going to help.
If you have a gut feeling it’s too windy put the roof down, I wouldn’t be chancing an expensive repair by relying on two straps.
Not sure if I’ve read you correctly, That’s not something I was prepared to chance when I had a pop top.
The reward-v-risk (just in ££’s) costs are well out of kilter, let alone the repair buggeration.

but it’s your van, your call.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Like my Reimo setup. About two feet on the straps which is enough. In terms of wind worry the deflector at the front makes a difference.

They can fail, commonly used on boats to sometimes keep the water out.
Not denying that - Sussex campers use something similar and I initially hated the idea of straps but they are the better option. when I asked Sussex campers if they’d be happy me going over 70 mph on the autobahn they said no. I then decided to go elsewhere.

Not denying that - Sussex campers use something similar and I initially hated the idea of straps but they are the better option. when I asked Sussex campers if they’d be happy me going over 70 mph on the autobahn they said no. I then decided to go elsewhere.
That says it all. There is a slightly better version of that type of clasp with a locknut both side of the barrel nut pivot and a clevis pin to lock the cam lever down.
Obviously correctly adjusting the threads, re-adjusting after stretching and remembering to fit the clevis pin leaves it wide open to operator error.

I have short straps on our reimo poptop, never realised there was any other type until now…

Back