Pop Top Securing Method

CJ_T6-red

T6 Pro
hi folks, sorry if this has been discussed before, but have seen some posts about what the best pop top is for clearence and for profile on the top.
I do know that it’s a pers9nal choice what u go for British or euro import ( long waiting time but better build ). And have seen things around different canvases and gutter bars, drainage etc.
But same old question dilemma.
Go SCA, but bigger profile, comfy, long wait to order then who to get installed by.
I like the low profile hi-lo.
Also the Reimo but hear there are drainage problems.
Then uk ones that have no load testing done.

So the one question that hasn’t that I can seen been asked, is securing said pop top,
I think I have seen you tube videos of the hi-lo having bolts coming through the roof and u secure front and back with screw on heads, not very practical when right over the wardrobe at the back, and u have to spend ages screwing them in.
Others have a clip that secures the pop top.

So pls can I see examples of the securing methods of the different pop tops out there.
Happy to hear different experiences good and bad for each.
Thanks

Good question I wish I’d of asked, had I known I would of got a screw down clamp arrangement again .....my old roof was screwed down clamp but my new roof has cargo straps. I’m always convinced the cargo straps have worked loose and there’s a gap in my rubber roof seal and the brackets as pictured don’t look substantial enough to ratchet strap it airtight.

B03269B6-224E-4B89-803B-52D09CBDF48B.jpeg

Good question I wish I’d of asked, had I known I would of got a screw down clamp arrangement again .....my old roof was screwed down clamp but my new roof has cargo straps. I’m always convinced the cargo straps have worked loose and there’s a gap in my rubber roof seal and the brackets as pictured don’t look substantial enough to ratchet strap it airtight.

Which make is this pls ?
I have seen that one of the makes has an actual lock ? Maybe I am just midnight surfing and making it up.
I do like the low profile of the hi-lo but not keep on the screw bit being in the back inside the wardrobe , plus it has stick out bolts when lifted.

The SCA 194 (and I presume others in the range?) has sturdy clamps either side that are tightened via a half turn of the catch - on a well fitted rood this half turn pulls the roof down nicely into the seals.IMG_3098.jpg

There are also safety straps to give a bit of extra security in the unlikely event of the catches failing.
IMG_3097.jpg

There are magnets in the catches so they can stow out of the way of the canvas when opening/closing.

The SCA latching system works very well and is very easy to use and get the roof down nice and tight - I have no rattles or fears of the roof coming undone when I don't want it to.

image.png

Last edited:
The latest Skyline Aurora has a positive fixing rather than the straps, a half turn cam-lock (first quarter turn engages the cam on the locking bar, second quarter turn pulls the roof down onto the seals)
IMG_20191023_161752.jpg IMG_20191023_161726.jpg IMG_20191023_161703.jpg

Sorry old thread revival here but just wanted to ask how the black catch is attached to the roof? Did you have to drill through the roof itself and bolt through?

This is a SCA 190 deluxe, which isn’t the newest model but IMO the cleanest inside

8B568941-31AA-4F6F-8A00-67B4841B5DA5.jpeg

then pull the aluminium door back to reveal the locking catch
CFE8F245-697A-4960-B400-E055BF482916.jpeg

twist and push up

A79D0507-BB94-4619-ADE6-9D3B29311DF8.jpeg
when closed & locked in place the roof is held in place by two car door catches outside of the canvas

F506C5B8-0324-4C46-9B1A-42E8EF7B7A0E.jpeg
82046C62-4948-4333-87E0-10D1D9C9C5AA.jpeg

The sliding aluminium door is definitely a nice touch. When I got my roof fitted a few years ago I ordered the model with sliding panel but there was a shortage of roofs in the country from SCA. After months of delay I eventually agreed to have the model without the slider fitted and subsequently the one with the straps too. Wish I had just waited longer. Have often thought about trying to fit a custom slider but haven’t got to it yet. Mine is covered by a leather flap that Velcro’s on (SCA product but can’t think of the name - thermal cover I think from memory)

How does the SCA look from the outside? We want to get a roof fitted to our shuttle but just don't want to get one that doesn't look nice from the outside. It seems like a bit of a minefield on what is such an expensive and important part of the van. We aren't doing any other conversion work at present as we need 6 seats (4 kids!) but love the flexibility of using the roof when camping with the drive away awning. Any photos would really help. Thanks

How does the SCA look from the outside? We want to get a roof fitted to our shuttle but just don't want to get one that doesn't look nice from the outside. It seems like a bit of a minefield on what is such an expensive and important part of the van. We aren't doing any other conversion work at present as we need 6 seats (4 kids!) but love the flexibility of using the roof when camping with the drive away awning. Any photos would really help. Thanks
Mine can be seen in here - www.Flickr.com/vwt6

you will have to scroll a bit as it’s where I dump all my build progress photos

Mine can be seen in here - www.Flickr.com/vwt6

you will have to scroll a bit as it’s where I dump all my build progress photos
Thanks for sharing. Wow, you have been busy and it looks like an amazing transformation. Any regrets with anything? What other roofs did you consider and what made you settle with the SCA? Would you still go within SCA today? Thanks again

Thanks for sharing. Wow, you have been busy and it looks like an amazing transformation. Any regrets with anything? What other roofs did you consider and what made you settle with the SCA? Would you still go within SCA today? Thanks again
Thanks!

I actually didnt consider any other roof, I hired a camper before I bought my base van to make sure I liked it and it had an SCA. I then read into it a bit and decided the SCA was the one I wanted.

In terms of regrets/niggles/annoyances -

- SCA Roof - I wish I had just held out and got the deluxe roof that I ordered. It would have had the sliding closure panel and the better securing system. After waiting months for stock though I ended up agreeing to the Start model which has neither. Not the end of the world but a bit annoying in hindsight

- RIB Altair bed - The bed is very comfy and by all accounts the RIB is one of the best on the market. The only thing I didnt realise is that the seat is quite high so when I sit in it my feet dont touch the ground. Im only 5 foot 10 though so might not be an issue with taller folk. The other thing with that is that if you sit on the back seat next to the window your head becomes very close to the SCA frame above. I seem to have short legs and a long upper half of my body as others have sat in my van and not had that issue. Its usually just the kids on the back though so its fine but something to consider.

- LED Lights - I wish I had bought a base van with LEDs, the H4s are literallly like small candles in the dark

- AC - Also wish I bought a base van with AC as the van gets hot when driving in hot weather and the window ends up down a lot. Luckily I live in Scotland so it doesnt get hot much :)

Apart from that I absolutely love the van, and even the things above are more annoyances than anything else, it doesnt sour the experience too much

Hope that helps

Thanks!

I actually didnt consider any other roof, I hired a camper before I bought my base van to make sure I liked it and it had an SCA. I then read into it a bit and decided the SCA was the one I wanted.

In terms of regrets/niggles/annoyances -

- SCA Roof - I wish I had just held out and got the deluxe roof that I ordered. It would have had the sliding closure panel and the better securing system. After waiting months for stock though I ended up agreeing to the Start model which has neither. Not the end of the world but a bit annoying in hindsight

- RIB Altair bed - The bed is very comfy and by all accounts the RIB is one of the best on the market. The only thing I didnt realise is that the seat is quite high so when I sit in it my feet dont touch the ground. Im only 5 foot 10 though so might not be an issue with taller folk. The other thing with that is that if you sit on the back seat next to the window your head becomes very close to the SCA frame above. I seem to have short legs and a long upper half of my body as others have sat in my van and not had that issue. Its usually just the kids on the back though so its fine but something to consider.

- LED Lights - I wish I had bought a base van with LEDs, the H4s are literallly like small candles in the dark

- AC - Also wish I bought a base van with AC as the van gets hot when driving in hot weather and the window ends up down a lot. Luckily I live in Scotland so it doesnt get hot much :)

Apart from that I absolutely love the van, and even the things above are more annoyances than anything else, it doesnt sour the experience too much

Hope that helps
That's really great. Thanks for taking the time to help navigate the enjoyment and potential perils that await a conversion.....thankfully only looking at the roof at present though and therefore plenty of time to work through what we want with the rest of it! Enjoy your van!!

Back