Pop Top Height And Vw Approved Converters

Malcyb

Hi,
After our NEC visit last week we're now pretty sure what layout we want and still certain we want a SWB Pop top conversion. We're down to a small shortlist of converters. I've got a couple of questions you might be able to help with...
1. Some conversions claim to be one or two cm below 2m high, others a tiny bit over. Not sure why this is when they use the same roofs. What difference in practice would this tiny difference make? I'm aware that 2m is a threshold for autoroute toll charges, but is there anything else? From what I can see a lot of car park height restrictions are a bit over 2m, though a few multi storey ones are under, but not spot on.
2. A handful of converters make a big play about being vw approved or accredited, though most don't. What is the real significance of this? Trying to decide whether I should just stick to approved ones.

Most Pop tops don't add significant cms to height.
We have a SCA roof done with an approved converter.
IMO - this fulfils the VW warranty on vehicles by using an approved converter.
But... if you're going to cut a great big hole out of your precious, then you want to make
sure that its done properly.
It also keeps the rigidity/stability of the van by doing it properly.

They probably quote different heights to cover themselves. They last thing they want is someone coming back to them with a claim, because they ripped their roof off in a car park where there shouldn't be a problem.

If you are planning to change the wheels/tyres or drop the ride height, then this will probably have a bigger affect on overall height.

Pete

My Westfalia came as standard on their spec at 2.02m and I think an unconverted van is 1.98m? That would mean my roof added 4cm, however it actually measured bang on 2m when I got it home so they probably do add a bit to cover themselves. Much lower now of course :)

If you are planning to change the wheels/tyres or drop the ride height, then this will probably have a bigger affect on overall height.

I might contemplate this option. But I don't want to do anything too drastic as I want to keep decent ground clearance, and I don't want to mess up the ride with very low profile tyres. Perhaps dropping it by 1 or 2 cm would be ok but a bit uncomfortable about more than that

The people who are VW approved basically are registered body builders and have access to ‘window vans’ these are empty vans with glass all round intended as a base for conversion so they are not buying vans or kombis and ripping out surplus parts, these companies normally have a ‘letter of non objection’ from VW which means VW know the work they carry out and have no objections to it meaning it will not impact warranty etc

I have a 'Reimo Easyfit' poptop roof and I advise to make sure whoever is fitting whatever roof you get have been fully trained in fitting it.
My roof was fitted by a company used to fitting other poptops though NOT 'Reimo'. I had problems with the roof where they proved worse than useless though thankfully 'Reimo' are one of the best companies and on contacting them directly in Germany they arranged for the problems to be sorted in both super quick time and at no cost to me.
For info I checked out loads of converted VWT6's with many different roofs and some, when sitting on the rear sit my head was touching the bottom of the roof which made it useless.
One thing is for sure; not all converters are the same so choose wisley!

The people who are VW approved basically are registered body builders and have access to ‘window vans’ these are empty vans with glass all round intended as a base for conversion so they are not buying vans or kombis and ripping out surplus parts, these companies normally have a ‘letter of non objection’ from VW which means VW know the work they carry out and have no objections to it meaning it will not impact warranty etc
Not sure that is strictly true anymore as Hillside advertise as "VW Registered Campervan Manufacturers" but I know their preference is for the blank canvas of a panel van??

Either way, if buying from a convertor, whilst I would still look for such VW accreditation, personally, I'd put more emphasis on them being members of one of the big trade bodies, e.g. NCC, and building to their associated standards - at least this way you know that the things being included follow accepted industry guidelines/standards and will offer a degree of safety, e.g. standards for gas installations such as lockers, drop out vents, etc. , and provide a route to challenge in the event that something does go wrong.

Last time I looked (which was a couple years ago) there were 7 registered body builders in the UK although that may have changed by now ?

Last time I looked (which was a couple years ago) there were 7 registered body builders in the UK although that may have changed by now ?
Quite possibly - when we bought ours a couple of years back there was nothing in Hillside's literature about being VW registered manufacturers but the fact that they are now saying they are suggests things have changed, which, given the volumes they deal with, I'm not surprised at.

Where do I find that list? I'm still a bit unclear whether if a company isn't one of the 7, that means VW wouldn't honour the warranty on issues related to the base van?

Assuming the same pop top the post conversion overall height can be significantly influenced by whether the suspension has been lowered also.

In so far as I am concerned a VW registered converted assures you of no related warranty issues with a new van (body work, structural integrity, electrics), whereas with a non registered converter you would be providing VW with an open goal to argue that the warranty has been invalidated in the event of a claim.

Back