Poor DAB

Rob

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I know location is big factor for DAB signal quailty but these VW's I find particularly poor.

We have an Audi and that too is just as bad and it as been in now 3 times under warranty (Audi claim no fault present) for poor reception on certain DAB channels which are mainly anything that is not BBC broadcast as they seem to be not to bad. I obviously thought it was an issue with the car until I got the transporter which drops out in nearly all the same places.

I would have put this down to the area we live if it wasn't for the fact that we have 2 other cars of different manufacturers that don't have this issue and it's now driving me mad and scares the S**T out of me to think that I might have to listen to Radio 1 in order to hear a song from start to finish.

Where is the ariel located and is it possible to fit some kind of booster?

What I have found with DAB, is that you need to keep rescanning when on the move to use the closest transmitter (I also drive an Audi by the way)

E.g, where I live, the closest DAB transmitter is in Ayr, but if I am listening to a non-BBC channel (usually Gold) and I am driving towards Glasgow, I then need to retune to Gold from the Glasgow transmitter if that makes sense?

BBC channels seem to use a standard frequency throughout the country and never need re-tuned in my experience.

I will give that a go thanks and fingers crossed it sorts it. It's just strange that our other cars have now issue so I can only assume their setup/software performs different.

DAB reception is the same in my van and my works van, a Ford Connect. Living in North Wales the signal is poor when moving away from the coast.

Thanks @Pauly I knew you would know.

On another note I fitted some H4 Philips clear whites yesterday as discussed on the titanic (other forum) and I am really please but agree the fogs need changing to match. Did you ever replace the DRL bulbs?

Yes I replaced the fogs with Philips H11 Crystal Vision lamps, for some reason the Philips white vision H4 lamps are 4300K but the white vision H11 are only 3700K so I went for the crystal vision ones so thay match
Technically the H11 ones are not road legal but I don't foresee any issues as they are visually very similar. You also have the added bonus that the Philips ones come with white sidelight bulbs so I have a spare set.
I did replace the DRLs with LED lamps, I bought two different sets of off eBay, the first set flicker very slightly for 5 mins after being turned off (something to do with the canbus system I believe) which I didn't like to much so I bought an alternative set and they work fine.
The only thing worth mentioning is that the DRLs do not match the other lights but as I tend to leave mine set to auto they are never on together its either DRLs or head/sidelights, manually turning to sidelights is the only time you could have DRLs and sidelights on together
Heres a couple pics,

IMG_2228.JPG IMG_2241.JPG IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Top man thanks. Which bulbs are they please because that looks spot on.

The DRL's I have fitted in the lower bumper are 6000k and nearly all of the bulbs to replace the standard DRL's appear to be the same.

As for the side lights I have fitted dummy bulbs because the bumper DRL's replace the need for them.

I find the DAB works pretty well on my transporter to be fair. A mate of mine had a transit custom with DAB and he said it was crap!

Pauly are the new DRLs the one on left on first photo. They look good a have you got a link to them please. If I get the van next week will be fitting them. Anyone changed the rear load space lights? I had LEDs in my custom and are great in the winter.

@Rob these are the DRLs in the picture 2 x CANBUS ERROR FREE BA15S 382 p21w 1156 BULB XENON WHITE DRL 30 SMD LED
@Keeff the LED is on the left in pic & these are the lmaps I bought for internals
These are the festoon lamps, there are three in total front centre light and the two rear ceiling lights
These are the C5W lamps, I changed the two front maps lights but these are also fitted in the side step courtesy lights so depends how many doors you have
I went for 6000K xenon white and they are so much brighter, its much easier to see but does light you up like a xmas tree when you are parked at night and someone opens the door !

Thank for the reply will get some order next week. I have a transit custom and the DAB in that is not to good i just use the fm .

I'm really impressed with DAB in mine. The stereo is great, only complaint is Apple car play is a bit random

@Mattsvan , know what you mean about Apple CarPlay , good when it's working but tends to lock up and connection problems the odd time . Could do with more compatable apps that work directly from head unit such as napster ect.
The DAB on my pioneer AVIC F77 is very good using the stock VW aerial .

I put a DAB radio in a Ibiza back in 2005 and the signal quality was much better back then. My sister has a Outlander with DAB & that's much more reliable than the VAG offerings we have.
Only seem to have acceptable VAG DAB around the M25 so far.

No problems with DAB, didn't drop out even on a trip to Northubmerland.

But Our Skoda drops out on a run I into Leeds!

@DaveBos i don't drive anywhere that has bad DAB although I was caught out when I drove from corwen to betwys y coed a few weeks ago. It's terrible on the A5 on that stretch.

Same here have been doing a job in Llangollen every Friday, have to resort to FM. I think its down to poor DAB reception, the VW and Ford suffer in the same areas.

Agreed, the DAB in the T6 is pretty poor. I have noticed that it completely fails if the Satnav and/or phone are being charged.

Back