Fixing DAB Interference From Aftermarket LED Lamps

catfood12

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have poverty spec T4 headlamps on my T6. The old incandescent DRLs look so old fashioned, and I wanted to change to LEDs. The first problem with this is finding reliable CANbus ones that don't bring on the bulb failure monitor. All the ones I tried caused DAB interference. I almost lost interest, then tried a fix with chokes in series with the LED lamp.

A couple of 330uH chokes soldered into the DRL lampholder.
20220124_155540_resized.jpg

These then siliconed in place to stop them breaking off in time.

20220125_214237_resized.jpg

Once fitted, all DAB interference gone! All station reception restored. Before this, it was drive with the sidelamps on or in silence.

I tried to get before and after traces on a 'scope. This was ignition on, but engine not running, and using an awesome kit built digital storage scope bought from Ali Express. Before;

20220124_161012_resized.jpg

Only 200mV, but noisy signal induced on the DC feed. There must be loads of harmonics in that covering the DAB band.

Here's the after;

20220126_094253_resized.jpg

Still peaks of 80mV, but all the choppy HF noise being stopped by the chokes.

Quite a bit of work just to get a mod working without causing other issues..

More to the point where you get your oscilloscope looks pretty cool would be useful for the audio systems

More to the point where you get your oscilloscope looks pretty cool would be useful for the audio systems
The 'scope was a kit from Ali Express that I bought to play with really, but it's turned into being used as a proper bit of kit. I often get involved with debugging RS485 links, or 4-20mA analogue signals. This is great on the latter as better than a DMM and a shunt, as you can watch the delta as you're provoking whatever sensor.

I also bought a 10:1 attenuating proper scope probe from CPC that allows a better range. I got dragged into a door entry system dispute a couple of weeks ago, and we could prove that half of the swipe card readers were faulty/wrong type, as there was no serial output when a card was presented.

I power it off a 12V plugtop adapter.

Now available on Amazon;

Back