Pimping The TransVelleCali: T5 to T6.1 Swamper Look

Plastic Cow

Hi,

I’m a new member, gratefully received by, I believe, an old hand (Thank You); it was suggested I send some pics: This is a £1k banger T30 Transporter with full windows and 9 seats in Sand Beige and dents in every panel, including the roof!

It had done 320,000 on the original motor and now has a 2.5 Tdi with about 80,000 (miles) since it was fitted. It still has the original auto box; so I assume this will be the weakest link in my project:

I wish to use it for my dog and as a day van/weekender with my two young boys and tow a boat. Everything I buy should hopefully be transferable to the next VW or sold. Things like leisure batteries and the kitchen will be removable without too much hassle. Being a Shuttle type I want to keep the sound insulation and ceiling vents. Therefore no ‘pop top’; just a roof tent, so I can escape!

I am going to the paint shop tomorrow. This is the bit that will cost money that I will never get back! I intend to go two tone and my kids want Green.

I have decided to go for T6.1 bits and sourced them separately. They all seem to be white. The lights and bumper/grill are from VW direct.

I am expecting hassle with the light wiring so any ideas on T5 to T6.1 would be gratefully received. I hope I can just buy a loom adapter, as I can’t afford to go the LED route and spend too much on an electrician.

I’ve never owned a VW but I am smitten. This will hopefully be a great learning curve experience with some fun weekends.

I just want to know how long the gearbox will last?!?

David

3D703250-665A-4D57-A5F3-B585D1F48226.jpeg
76971C75-DCF8-4900-A5D9-82EA96229FE3.jpeg
9087A2C0-2A89-4BAA-864B-70F8A3D64175.jpeg
154586B4-87A2-4E7B-8934-05E55A277155.jpeg
1E46D313-F363-4F8B-8F94-1AC9F09122D4.jpeg
516311BA-6BAF-4269-B9C5-DAD3E78705CE.jpeg

Hi,

I’m a new member, gratefully received by, I believe, an old hand (Thank You); it was suggested I send some pics: This is a £1k banger T30 Transporter with full windows and 9 seats in Sand Beige and dents in every panel, including the roof!

It had done 320,000 on the original motor and now has a 2.5 Tdi with about 80,000 (miles) since it was fitted. It still has the original auto box; so I assume this will be the weakest link in my project:

I wish to use it for my dog and as a day van/weekender with my two young boys and tow a boat. Everything I buy should hopefully be transferable to the next VW or sold. Things like leisure batteries and the kitchen will be removable without too much hassle. Being a Shuttle type I want to keep the sound insulation and ceiling vents. Therefore no ‘pop top’; just a roof tent, so I can escape!

I am going to the paint shop tomorrow. This is the bit that will cost money that I will never get back! I intend to go two tone and my kids want Green.

I have decided to go for T6.1 bits and sourced them separately. They all seem to be white. The lights and bumper/grill are from VW direct.

I am expecting hassle with the light wiring so any ideas on T5 to T6.1 wouldView attachment 100112View attachment 100113View attachment 100123View attachment 100124View attachment 100116View attachment 100117would be gratefully received. I hope I can just buy a loom adapter, as I can’t afford to go the LED route and spend too much on an electrician.

I’ve never owned a VW but I am smitten. This will hopefully be a great learning curve experience with some fun weekends.

I just want to know how long the gearbox will last?!?

David
Wow. I'm looking forward to this thread, be a mammoth achievement if you can pull this off! Good luck :thumbsup:

I am updating this thread as I have just got the van back from the spray shop. I have gone for ‘Retro Swamper’! I picked up a T6 bootlid and bonnet separately on EBay and the same for the 6.1wings. The grill/bumper and lights are from VW. It’s not perfect but this van will never be after all the base vehicle had probably dome over 400,000 miles.

The Green was chosen by my youngest son and is ‘Porsche Mamba Green’ The body mouldings hide a number of sins and there was even a dent in the roof.

I think the green works with the original ‘Wheat Beige’. The build sheet says ‘Reflex Silver’ and I thought it was ‘Sand Beige’. Anyway it looks pretty smart at a distance when parked in a field with the sun setting!!

The 2.5 came from a 80,000 mile vehicle and I had new filters and oil and I wish to check the autobox next as I think that could be the weakest link.

I have some 18” steel Amorok wheels coming which I hope to powder coated Wheat Beige if anyone knows a suitable firm near London. I am not sure what tyres to use; I like Falken as they are relatively I expensive and last long. Will be getting some BF Goodrich on my original 16’’ after I have them powder coated orange.

I had a unheated 80% tint window put in the back. I would have liked an opening ‘Reimo’ motorhome top hanging unit but I couldn’t find a supplier. I will probably replace the leaky sliders on the sides for fixed panels and but hope the interior trim will not cause problems. I’d also like any advice on tinting the front drivers and passengers windows as I really would like an 80% tint but wonder if the police get really upset about this?

I will be hanging or resting bikes on a new tow bar which will be fitted this week. So I am not worried about the window wiper at the moment. The main issue is fitting a lock and barrel which I have seen on a few T6.1’s and have been told it’s a factory option; if anyone has the part number that would be great. I’ll attach a picture of what I want below.

I now have to turn my efforts on buying carpets. I think I will be using old school Westfalia colours of orange, brown and green. It my look a bit ‘psychedelic ‘ on the inside!

Thanks everyone for the advice so far and I look forward to progressing and using the van with my boys as we get out of lockdown.

0674B466-20DD-4C2A-AE0A-0FCDACAFAD90.jpeg

81FC12D2-C43C-46EA-85E9-36131FAD628F.jpeg

4B6181AA-C824-457E-8860-D6261BAFA7C6.jpeg

7413EA12-8AF9-4427-BAD1-A8106B573A59.jpeg

62B1B159-29BB-4F2F-880F-BD3BC8C97615.jpeg

I am updating this thread as I have just got the van back from the spray shop. I have gone for ‘Retro Swamper’! I picked up a T6 bootlid and bonnet separately on EBay and the same for the 6.1wings. The grill/bumper and lights are from VW. It’s not perfect but this van will never be after all the base vehicle had probably dome over 400,000 miles.

The Green was chosen by my youngest son and is ‘Porsche Mamba Green’ The body mouldings hide a number of sins and there was even a dent in the roof.

I think the green works with the original ‘Wheat Beige’. The build sheet says ‘Reflex Silver’ and I thought it was ‘Sand Beige’. Anyway it looks pretty smart at a distance when parked in a field with the sun setting!!

The 2.5 came from a 80,000 mile vehicle and I had new filters and oil and I wish to check the autobox next as I think that could be the weakest link.

I have some 18” steel Amorok wheels coming which I hope to powder coated Wheat Beige if anyone knows a suitable firm near London. I am not sure what tyres to use; I like Falken as they are relatively I expensive and last long. Will be getting some BF Goodrich on my original 16’’ after I have them powder coated orange.

I had a unheated 80% tint window put in the back. I would have liked an opening ‘Reimo’ motorhome top hanging unit but I couldn’t find a supplier. I will probably replace the leaky sliders on the sides for fixed panels and but hope the interior trim will not cause problems. I’d also like any advice on tinting the front drivers and passengers windows as I really would like an 80% tint but wonder if the police get really upset about this?

I will be hanging or resting bikes on a new tow bar which will be fitted this week. So I am not worried about the window wiper at the moment. The main issue is fitting a lock and barrel which I have seen on a few T6.1’s and have been told it’s a factory option; if anyone has the part number that would be great. I’ll attach a picture of what I want below.

I now have to turn my efforts on buying carpets. I think I will be using old school Westfalia colours of orange, brown and green. It my look a bit ‘psychedelic ‘ on the inside!

Thanks everyone for the advice so far and I look forward to progressing and using the van with my boys as we get out of lockdown.

View attachment 108390

View attachment 108388

View attachment 108389

View attachment 108391

View attachment 108392
This is a great thread - there's more than one way to get where you want to go and you've got the courage to try something a bit different, well done, please keep on with the updates! :thumbsup:

Back