Parking Sensor Fault

Mccoatup

VIP Member
T6 Pro
My parking sensor system has failed again. Carista is showing a fault code of 1078833. Is this something that can only be interpreted using VCDS? (Google 's not showing anything).

Single long beep when selecting reverse and no parking display on screen. I couldn't hear any clicking when I listened previously to the rear parking sensors, so maybe my restricted hearing is the problem.
Thanks, Bob

Hmm, shame Carista cant read the proper codes.

VCDS will be able to talk to the PDC module and see what the issue is, and also feedback the live sensor readings.

as you say the sensors should click with a very high pitch when activated.

have you got front and rear ?

- from memory you have the rear 4x sensors - check the fitting and connection at the rear plug behind the bumper.

- A rear bumper loom that runs to under the passenger seat base to a mid loom join - check the connection.

- then a connection to the PDC module.

anyone with VCDS near him?

short YT vid about them here >

My parking sensor system has failed again. Carista is showing a fault code of 1078833. Is this something that can only be interpreted using VCDS? (Google 's not showing anything).

Single long beep when selecting reverse and no parking display on screen. I couldn't hear any clicking when I listened previously to the rear parking sensors, so maybe my restricted hearing is the problem.
Thanks, Bob
In VCDS log files (though not a T6) the code is logged as "1078833 - Rear Left Parking Aid Sensor -- No Signal".
Perhaps swapping two sensors to see that fault code will be different, unless obvious wiring problem??

I would expect fault codes for the other sensors to be: 1079601 - Rear Right; 1079089 - Center Rear Left; 1079345 - Center Rear Right.
EDIT: for the same "no signal" fault.

My reversing camera went silly once. Unplugged the connector block that is located behind the nearside panel sort of behind light cluster location. Blew it all out reconnected it, never had a problem since. Maybe reverse sensors are located in this same block. Might be worth a try.

Heres a rough guide to how its connected. (rear PDC)

3 wires to each sensor, +12v, 0v ground, and signal feed back from each

The joins in the loom are,

G203-6 sensor connectors. (3pin)
T12v - 12 pin connector, black, behind left d pillar trim
T10T - 10 pin black under seat
T12s - 12 pin module conector

1 pdc rear.JPG

and heres that front connection under seat.....

1 cpl lft seat box.JPG

upload_2018-8-25_9-16-21.png

upload_2018-8-25_9-16-32.png

upload_2018-8-25_9-17-4.png

upload_2018-8-25_9-17-59.png

I had the same issue - like Dave, I unplugged all plugs and blew out any dust, and they’ve been fine since.
Plug behind the N/S/R panel along with all four plugs behind the sensors themselves.

Wow- what a great forum! So much useful information - thanks everyone.
Hopefully will get it sorted this week now it's stopped raining.

Finally got to look at the parking sensors again today. Swapped 2 sensors round and fault code stayed the same. I had previously had to cut the control signal wire from the LH sensor both at the sensor connector and the BCM ends as it was somehow shorting to something (although not to earth). I had fitted a bypass wire which solved the problem the first time round, but this time when I checked, the bypassed wire was somehow connected to the sensor control line again! So off with the panels under the steering wheel and the headlight switch. (This time it took a couple of mins. First time round about an hour of figuring out how to get all the bits off!) Sure enough the wire I had disconnected had somehow dropped back into the connector and connected again! The insulating tape I had used had come off in the 37 degree heat when I was on holiday the other week which is when it stopped working.
40 years working in the electronics industry and I still can't insulate a wire properly. Just as well I retired last year!
Thanks everyone for your help.

Finally got to look at the parking sensors again today. Swapped 2 sensors round and fault code stayed the same. I had previously had to cut the control signal wire from the LH sensor both at the sensor connector and the BCM ends as it was somehow shorting to something (although not to earth). I had fitted a bypass wire which solved the problem the first time round, but this time when I checked, the bypassed wire was somehow connected to the sensor control line again! So off with the panels under the steering wheel and the headlight switch. (This time it took a couple of mins. First time round about an hour of figuring out how to get all the bits off!) Sure enough the wire I had disconnected had somehow dropped back into the connector and connected again! The insulating tape I had used had come off in the 37 degree heat when I was on holiday the other week which is when it stopped working.
40 years working in the electronics industry and I still can't insulate a wire properly. Just as well I retired last year!
Thanks everyone for your help.
At least you managed to find and resolve the issue. It’d have taken a few hours and a good bit of cash to have an auto electrician do that for you.

My reversing camera went silly once. Unplugged the connector block that is located behind the nearside panel sort of behind light cluster location. Blew it all out reconnected it, never had a problem since. Maybe reverse sensors are located in this same block. Might be worth a try.
Hello DaveyB,
I have a reversing sensor issue at the moment on my T5.1 (don't have camera) and think I have read somewhere there is a connector in behind a N/S rear panel. Could this be the same place you camera connection resides? If so could you explain how to get to it?
Any help appreciated
Brian

Hello DaveyB,
I have a reversing sensor issue at the moment on my T5.1 (don't have camera) and think I have read somewhere there is a connector in behind a N/S rear panel. Could this be the same place you camera connection resides? If so could you explain how to get to it?
Any help appreciated
Brian
Hi @BrianK , the camera feed runs up the offside roof line from under the drivers seat on a T6, so hopefully won’t cause you any issues since you say you don’t have a camera as that specific part of the loom probably won’t be there.
Not sure if the connector that I cleaned out for my reversing sensors will be in the same place as on a 5.1, but you never know. If you pop the rear near side quarter internal panel off, it’ll give you the access you need. There is a block roughly in line with the tail light, on the inner edge of the d-post. I just unplugged it blew it out and not had any issues with that since. Worth a try if yours are connected in the same way.

Hello All

Have found and dusted off the connector as discussed between DaveyB and myself above but this didn't help.

My issue like many is where sometimes they work and sometimes I just get the continuous beep for 10 seconds then nothing. Bear in mind mines a 2015 T5 but I believe they are the same as the T6 ones.

Today I have stripped them to bits and inside each connector was literally wringing wet. The hope is that this is the sole problem and thorough cleaning will be all that is needed.

Attached is a picture of the connector (sorry for the poor shaky quality).

Is anyone aware of whether this part can be removed from the cable? This would make for more thorough cleaning/drying.

Stay safe everyone.

Rear sensors .JPG

I don't specifically know that connector, but the purple bit will slide a little allowing the pins to become free. typically the pins have a 2nd means of being retained..some can be released from the front, others from the top but it should be a lot easier to figure out when that purple bit is moved.

I have managed to pull back the purple clip but then couldn't work out what it had been holding and no part is looser than before.

3 Pics attached.

I was hoping the part indicated by the arrow in picture 3 would slide out of the rest of the connector meaning I could remove it for more thorough cleaning but of course don't want to pull it too hard :eek: Anyone any ideas?

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg

Are there little tangs on the terminals that you can depress in those rectangular openings? But, looking at the corrosion there I would be inclined to get new housings and pins and just chop them off. For some reason the waterproofing appears to have failed big time. ( I can't see any silicon rubber seals at the wire end - maybe they were not fitted?)

Thanks @oldiebut goodie, your question about the silicone seals provoked me to look online so I now see how the wires fit, see link below.
4F0973703 Connector for VW/AUDI/SKODA/SEAT and other
I don't have a photo of it but mine have an aditional wrap around cover behind the connector which gives a further layer of protection to the part where the wires enter which I removed for photo 3.

I'm a bit of a make do and mend type plus I've only just re-fitted the entire leisure electrics including replacing two batteries and don't want to upset her-in-doors if I can help it :whistle: so I will have a go at just cleaning them up as much as I can and see if it works.

For the end where the sensors connect (currently most corroded looking) I have ordered some of the product below. I have never used this type of thing and would appreciate advice from anyway who knows how you apply it, for instance do you just fill the entire area or just dab a bit on the terminals.
Dielectric Silicone Grease Universal Use, 15Kv/mm -50°C to +230°C 50g Tin 5081941866127 | eBay

Self amalgamating tape is a easy solution to protecting connections that are rarely disconnected.

Hello All,

Hope someone can help with this.

Finally got around to doing these.

After removing and cleaning up all of the sensors I went back to replacing them and only then realised the colours of the group of three wires going to each sensor are different!

I have found some diagrams online but nothing that has helped so far.

I have connected all of them where I thought the wires were before but apparently three are wrong! The first one (far right) has the correct wiring as I had a previous photo, the others I think are all wrong as if I put the van in revers all three act as if something is behind the van already.

Hopefully someone can say which order the wires should be in for the remaining three. Sorry for the blurry photos, the sun seemed to make them really hard to get clear.

Bear in mind mine is 2014/2015 T5.

Right (correct)
Right.jpeg

Second from right (probably wrong)
Second from right.jpeg

Second from left (probably wrong)
Second from left.jpeg

Left (probably wrong)
Left.jpeg

Sorry I should have added that I eventually found out how to remove the individual wires from the connectors ( see my post #11). To remove all three the purple clip must be completely removed then all three slide out, and as you see in the picture below there is a silicone seal around the wire that slides in the hole.

Out.jpeg

Last edited:
Back