Panel Marks

Kius

Hello all. Hope i can get some clarification here and put my mind at rest. i have a new 4 motion tdi 400 in black. I also have dual sliding doors, now i have noticed 2 parallel lines (high points) in both sliding doors, very slight but still noticeable from a sharp angle. The lines correspond to the adhesive lines on the back of the skin where it meets the channel behind (this is on the top half of the sliding door and runs vertical down the middle). I have also stuck protection panels (birchwood from modexion on with double sided tape) using pressure only on the middle channel and surround and not on the actual skin, my worry is that i may have caused this while others say its the adhesive used in production. Could someone give me some of there opinions? Thanks in advance.

Can you upload some pics for us please?

Hi Dellmassive. thats going to be hard as its only visible as you are moving along the panel. i can upload something but it will be difficult to see.

Hi Dellmassive. thats going to be hard as its only visible as you are moving along the panel. i can upload something but it will be difficult to see.

Video clip maybe?

Yes will do. Currently night time here in sydney,but will do tomorrow morning. Thanks for your interest it's only 4 weeks old coming from a 20 year old t4 and would kick myself if i caused it. Black looks good but it also shows defects well, I had no other choice as I had a 7 month wait for a white one.

If you look closely, they all have marks on the outside the match the adhesive lines on the inside.

Ok. Please see attached video. I may being going nuts but I see it each time I walk past. Is it possible to cause this from pushing a birchwood panel from the inside out and applying that pressure only to the frame and not the skin? Just notice the white window frame of the house in the reflection

Thanks again

Nice one (the video),

That look me a moment to see what you was referring too......

now i can just about see the vertical line in the reflections . . . . .

im going to check mine, but might be harder to see (reflex silver)

lets see what others say, im not a body work guy. but im sure some of the guys with a very dark glossy paint colour, can now compare finishes to your video.

Nice one (the video),

lets see what others say, im not a body work guy. but im sure some of the guys with a very dark glossy paint colour, can now compare finishes to your video.

I cant see anything but you can, the only way I can think of covering it would be bonding tinted glass onto the panels. Would look like a Cail but without the sliding windows. just don't cut the panels out. just a thought.

Ok. Please see attached video. I may being going nuts but I see it each time I walk past. Is it possible to cause this from pushing a birchwood panel from the inside out and applying that pressure only to the frame and not the skin? Just notice the white window frame of the house in the reflection

Thanks again
I can see the “bump/line” of middle strut at steep angle on mine (regular white) too. It seems that the strut is very lightly pushing the panel outwards. Applying a little pressure by finger I can make the appearance of the “bump/line” to change and even disappear for that moment.

Have you checked if there is any difference at different temperatures?

Would be interesting to experiment by putting a straight steel strip on the middle strut to give a light pull inwards around the centre of the strut. Or maybe just attach your inside panel into the middle of the strut so that it gives a little pull there. :unsure:

Anyways, it seems there is no permanent deformation of the panel – just some inherent tensions...

Nice one (the video),

Yes. Black looks so good but it's a double edged sword. So hard to maintain, I used
I can see the “bump/line” of middle strut at steep angle on mine (regular white) too. It seems that the strut is very lightly pushing the panel outwards. Applying a little pressure by finger I can make the appearance of the “bump/line” to change and even disappear for that moment.

Have you checked if there is any difference at different temperatures?

Would be interesting to experiment by putting a straight steel strip on the middle strut to give a light pull inwards around the centre of the strut. Or maybe just attach your inside panel into the middle of the strut so that it gives a little pull there. :unsure:

Anyways, it seems there is no permanent deformation of the panel – just some inherent tensions...

Yes. I thought temperature would make a difference as metal expands and contracts while the adhesive line would stay at a constant. Hasn't been hot enough here as still winter. Also I think black highlights this more.

Back