Insulation of T6 2016 Transporter Panel Van (creating a sealled cocoon

Curious Ape

About to insulate my van, planning on using the following
- some form of fleece insulation
- foil and foam barrier
- acoustic wood panelling screw to panel

Like a cool box my plan is to not infill the panels like I've seen on numerous youtube video, but to completely seal the rear with taped joint (so imagine running a roll up the walls over the ceiling and down the other side stright over the internal structure of the van) this will then create a complete closed jacket. If the insulation is only going in the gaps between the structural struts then the cold will still penetrate the space from the outside skin along the un insulated metal work. I also intend on creating foil curtains that fit floor to ceiling across the rear doors, sliding door and bulkhead to enclose and cocoon the space.

Just found this.

Has anyone else taken this approach?

Last edited:
Are you going to the Arctic?
No, but no point insulating it incorrectly, I just feel how others afe doing it is wrong, i want the van for trips all year round so want to make sure its not an ice box in the winter... the van will not have a diesel heater either.

It certainly would be better insulated than most with that method. However I wouldn’t want to be without my heater even in a well wrapped van.

In our van it’s the windows that are probably chilliest. I made curtains with a thermal lining, but your big foil curtain approach would probably be warmer still.

In our van it’s the windows that are probably chilliest. I made curtains with a thermal lining, but your big foil curtain approach would probably be warmer still.
whats the coldest tempretures you've used the van in? what heater do you have and how do you run it

We’ve used it for winter mountaineering day trips, but overnights just a bit frosty rather than deep cold. I have a Veevor diesel heater externally mounted (under drivers seat), fed from the vehicle fuel tank. We run it full chat for about 30 minutes, then it’s really toasty inside. Overnight I usually have it turned off, and have a big duvet or sleeping bag. Pop top down for sleeping in the cold, as I don’t have an insulated cover for it.

IMG_9107.jpeg

Back