Options that cannot be retrofitted, and would be good to have for a sort-of camper

I just had a quick google and its a bit confusing, Pirelli say "...the obligation to use snow chains, fitted on the driving wheels, can be signalled at short notice..." so it sounds like you don't have to have them in the car but the Gendarme can turn you back in some places if you don't have them... I don't carry them and shan't be starting anytime soon...

Salty Spuds - In my opinion I would make sure you use the diff lock to check its working from time to time - my Haldex failed (while under warranty) and I would not have known if I hadn't got stuck in a ski resort. The dealer found it hard to prove it wasn't working back in the UK then changed a number of components including the centre diff (which I guess is the locking part). That was a T5.1 180bhp which had diff lock as standard, it became an option for the T6 and after.

I have only NEEDED the diff lock once, but I like to know it's there when in the alps in winter and will keep ticking that box in the options... that said you hardly ever see any French 4mo, they seem to use 2wd with winter tyres.

I've got snow-socks for all four wheels of the E63 which I'd hope would be usable on the T6, I'll look more deeply into whether all-season tyres would work/be acceptable in the winter months in the alps before making a final decision on that.

To be honest I'd expected to put a deposit down for this vehicle yesterday, but the chap at CJL has stopped responding.

I'm wondering whether my offer of a 4.5% discount on list in exchange for a deposit straight away has made him so cross he can't bring himself to respond!

For the base vehicle price - I appreciate you need it adapted - check out autoebid. They saved me 16% on a new Caravelle, with great service.

Thanks for the advice. TBH I'd rather get the whole thing from one place - easier to manage, more straightforward warranty process etc.

Thanks for the advice. TBH I'd rather get the whole thing from one place - easier to manage, more straightforward warranty process etc.
Less stress too, enough stress with the money you have to fork out.

Yes, exactly.

I'm going to call CJL tomorrow - before I do, have I committed a big faux pas in asking for a discount? Being new to this I'd assumed that the form was don't ask/don't get, but I've never tried to buy an in-demand custom camper before.

@Dammit I feel for you because it’s horrible when you think you might have a made a mistake. I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong….. he might not like it but it doesn’t mean it was wrong to try and get a discount. It is a hell of a lot of money after all! At the end of the day he shouldn’t take it as a snub but if he does then shame on him.

I spoke to them this morning - they don't discount their own work, but they're confirming the price of the van from VW (which has a very specific configuration based on what they consider the best setup to be) which may give some room - but may not.

Which means I may put the deposit down this week, pretty exciting - and intimidating frankly, as this is the most expensive thing (apart from my house) that I've ever bought.

I have finally had the pricing back from Volkswagen for your base vehicle.

This is the spec:

TRANSPORTER T32 LWB DIESEL 2.0 BiTDI 204 Highline Van 4MOTION DSG

• diff lock
  • Metallic paint
  • LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED tail lights
  • Power latching for passenger side sliding door
  • Power latching for driver side sliding door
  • Discover media navigation system including streaming and internet
  • Single front passenger seat
    Non height adjustable driver swivel seat and armrest
  • Non height adjustable front passenger swivel seat and armrest
  • Armrests for both cab seats
  • Heated driver and front passenger seats
  • Rubber floor covering in passenger/load compartment with loading edge protection in rear and step illumination
  • Tow bar preparation including trailer stabilisation
  • Power latching tailgate without window
  • Front and rear parking sensors with park assist
  • Rear view camera
  • Low rolling resistance tyres
  • Steel spare wheel with original equipment tyre

That^ looks pretty comprehensive to me, but I’m far from an expert. What do you all think?

They convert this panel van to the MTB camper spec.

I have finally had the pricing back from Volkswagen for your base vehicle.

This is the spec:

TRANSPORTER T32 LWB DIESEL 2.0 BiTDI 204 Highline Van 4MOTION DSG

• diff lock
  • Metallic paint
  • LED headlights with LED daytime running lights and LED tail lights
  • Power latching for passenger side sliding door
  • Power latching for driver side sliding door
  • Discover media navigation system including streaming and internet
  • Single front passenger seat
    Non height adjustable driver swivel seat and armrest
  • Non height adjustable front passenger swivel seat and armrest
  • Armrests for both cab seats
  • Heated driver and front passenger seats
  • Rubber floor covering in passenger/load compartment with loading edge protection in rear and step illumination
  • Tow bar preparation including trailer stabilisation
  • Power latching tailgate without window
  • Front and rear parking sensors with park assist
  • Rear view camera
  • Low rolling resistance tyres
  • Steel spare wheel with original equipment tyre

That^ looks pretty comprehensive to me, but I’m far from an expert. What do you all think?

They convert this panel van to the MTB camper spec.
Highlines come with AC as standard, don’t they?
Otherwise that sounds good. Lane Assist / BS / RCTA can be retrofitted as per Robert’s post.

Lane Assist / BS / RCTA can be retrofitted as per Robert’s post.
Hmmm... just to clarify - the post actually refers to T6 retrofit. T6.1 is electrically a different animal - still mostly uncharted. Also naming convention in T6.1 is slightly different - the T6.1 option "Side Assist" includes "Rear Traffic Alert". Then the "Lane Assist" takes everything a bit further - as it actively can control steering.

Interesting. I would quite like that as it sounds handy, but if it’s not available to order and we the community don’t (yet) understand how to retrofit it then I’ll just have to wait.

“My” van was ordered this morning by CJL, time to start biting my nails and putting money in a pot.

With regards to the wet-room/bike-store I would like to duct heat from the onboard diesel heater into it to dry the bikes and the kit- CJL said that they tried this with one of their first ones and without ventilation/de-humidification the water didn’t leave, it just got hotter.

Is there a van specific de-humidifier that could be used here? Or some sort of humidistat driven ventilation maybe?

Back