Looking to buy LHD T6.... what would you do?

jayrobert

I'm looking to buy a new (2nd hand) T6 LHD probably from Germany (maybe Wolfsburg) to get between events across Europe in comfort and luxury.

I'm at the start of the purchase journey again and hoping some of you have experience that'll help me firm things up in my mind.

I have two questions that'll help get me going:-

Q.1 where would you look to get warmed up apart from eBay? It's a few years since I bought magazines but they always seemed a good source of genuine sellers albeit short on space for detailed info. Are there any specific dealers or platforms that you guys would trawl? If I can see something that fits the bill I'll be half way there. I bought my last bus from a forum like this but got lucky with spotting what the seller was offering.

Q.2 I can buy in Europe and probably should as I want a left hooker - has anyone experience of buying abroad? Especially around places like Wolfsburg, Niedersachsen, Hannover or Braunschweig for example.

Configuration wise I'm not after a full on tourer for long overnight stays, but the occasional weekend away to race events and the ability to break out the chairs and enjoy a brew. I'd like a largeish fridge to chill a slab in. I want to be able to put a couple of mountain bikes in the rear. They'll be space either side of a pair of bikes for kit bags etc. Dual electric slider doors would be desirable which limits any centre section 'fit out'. I was thinking a side slide unit in the rear may be the best place for any integrated storage, water or hob if such a unit exists. I prefer an open upwards rear tailgate rather than barn doors.

I think I'll need to consider a LWB to get a pair of bikes in and a 2nd row seat. My current swb is great but you rest your arms on the bike wheels.

Last week at an event I saw a nice 4motion with what looked like a bulkhead separator which must have been custom fitted separating the dirty end from the cabin/chill zone. Driver wasn't about to chat unfortunately.

Half of me thinks it's going to have to be the custom route and I need to buy smart and expect to spend a little with a decent customiser. The other half of me wonders if I look in the right places I'll come across what I'm looking for.

Any input appreciated guys.

JR

I’d start with MTB mates in Germany and see what a chat with them throws up

Does anyone know of decent converters in Europe that have earned their badge and could help me out? Just wondering if there are any firms of repute that members might know of?

Or are there any van conversion awards in Europe that'd give me a steer towards firms that take pride in their work and keen to grow?

TIA guys

Last edited:
Back