Options that cannot be retrofitted, and would be good to have for a sort-of camper

Dammit

Hello everyone, I'm planning on getting a CJL Leisure mountain-biking van, which begin life as a panel van that is then converted.

The base vehicle is a 204PS 4Motion T32, to which CJL fit a pop-top, a second row of seats, and a fully sealed wet room at the back with mounting points for 4 bikes and an integrated jet-wash.

My impression is that many options can be retrofitted (although this may be wrong!), what I'm wondering is which options cannot be retro-fitted, or can but the price is insane.

For example - side assist looks good, and I'm umming and aahing over it, but if it can't be retro-fitted then that will probably make my mind up.

what I'm wondering is which options cannot be retro-fitted
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your plan sounds interesting - certainly not the norm.

Have a look at the retrofits @Robert has fitted - the list is (almost) endless

IMHO.

Start base van with these..

T weight
Engine
Gearbox.
4m.
AC.
LED headlights.

Other items after that can be retro fitted if you have deep pockets.

This is the current plan:

Base vehicle:

Volkswagen Transporter T32 T6.1 LWB Highline 204PS 7 speed DSG with single passenger and drivers seats, both heated, both swivel, LED main headlamps, parking sensors front and rear with park assist, sliding door power latching, rear view camera, starlight blue metallic, 18" Amarok steels in old English white. Dropped 30mm on Eibach springs.

Conversion: Pop-top with roof rails, second row of individual seats, solid bulkhead behind second row of seats creating fully sealed wet room with built in fixture points for 4 bikes, underslung water tank with high pressure wash, storage, hooks etc. Cooking module with 2 burner hob and sink, clean and dry water tanks (removable). 3.0m LWB awning with LED lighting. Webasto diesel heating system.

Leaving the outside and the cab stock (apart from the wheels and lowering it slightly).

I'm thinking about Side/Lane Assist, as the idea behind this van is to shuttle to Morzine and back with either bikes or skis in the back, and I imagine that lane keeping would be a good partner to the radar cruise for eating up the Autoroute.

This is the current plan:

Base vehicle:

Volkswagen Transporter T32 T6.1 LWB Highline 204PS 7 speed DSG with single passenger and drivers seats, both heated, both swivel, LED main headlamps, parking sensors front and rear with park assist, sliding door power latching, rear view camera, starlight blue metallic, 18" Amarok steels in old English white. Dropped 30mm on Eibach springs.

Conversion: Pop-top with roof rails, second row of individual seats, solid bulkhead behind second row of seats creating fully sealed wet room with built in fixture points for 4 bikes, underslung water tank with high pressure wash, storage, hooks etc. Cooking module with 2 burner hob and sink, clean and dry water tanks (removable). 3.0m LWB awning with LED lighting. Webasto diesel heating system.

Leaving the outside and the cab stock (apart from the wheels and lowering it slightly).

I'm thinking about Side/Lane Assist, as the idea behind this van is to shuttle to Morzine and back with either bikes or skis in the back, and I imagine that lane keeping would be a good partner to the radar cruise for eating up the Autoroute.
Can you get side assist on a LWB? when I ordered mine, it was only available on SWB

It was in the drop-down on the configuration site - is all I know. I'm assuming that meant it could be specified.

Side Assist wasn't available on T6 LWB from factory but it is retrofit-able option, 100% guaranteed.
But anyways forget Side Assist and go for Blind Spot Detection with integrated Rear Cross Trafic Alert.

• Love
Reactions: mmi
Well, I've made an offer on the whole build, which if accepted should mean that the van arrives before Christmas.

ff304829f568c3028804d8c5175b8943e2d10b38.png

Note you are looking at the winter tyres rather than all seasons?- I do the Morzine run summer and winter (with kids not bikes) and have the M&S rated All Seasons Goodyear Vector 4Seasons - no issues with getting upto the Ardent lift in any conditions I've encountered. I only ask as I heard that winters used all year round wear fast and may affect insurance?

I have a T6.1 4mo with the diff lock. In my opinion you should seriously consider the diff lock upgrade. Its my third 4mo Caravelle and on the first it was a standard fit.

I got stuck on the slope to the (snowbound) carpark at the top end of the Lake Mondrian - engaged diff-lock and drove straight out. Others on here have a different opinion but for me if you can find it/afford it you may as well have it

Ah, I missed off putting that in the sheet - it will have the diff-lock.

My E63 is on winters at the moment (SottoVoce) which I've not bothered to change to the summer P-Zero's because this summer keeps raining, and raining, and then raining some more so it doesn't seem worth it. My thinking was to leave the car on winters so that I don't need to worry about changing wheels for winter - but All Seasons are a good shout if they're legal for countries that specify winter capable tyres during certain months?

As I understand it a tyre marked with 'M&S" ie mud and snow qualify as 'winter' throughout Europe, although in some places in France you will also need to have at least two snow chains in the car. I was in a very cold and snowy Val Thorens a while ago and the Gendarme were checking cars and turning back any which didn't have them in the car.

All the 4season tyres I have used - Goodyear, Michelin & Bridgestone - have had the M&S rating and the 21 plate Caravelle I have now has factory fit Bridgestone Weather Control also has the higher 'Three-Peak' mountain certification whatever that means.

The Goodyears have proven to be really good, long lasting, quiet and brilliant on snow/ice. The Bridgestones are too new to know.

Winter tyres on an E63? that must enhance drift mode?

Hah, well - I've almost always got at least two bikes on the roof which tends to calm down the right foot. I have done fairly extensive high speed testing of Thule roof mounted bike racks though.

As I understand it a tyre marked with 'M&S" ie mud and snow qualify as 'winter' throughout Europe, although in some places in France you will also need to have at least two snow chains in the car. I was in a very cold and snowy Val Thorens a while ago and the Gendarme were checking cars and turning back any which didn't have them in the car.

All the 4season tyres I have used - Goodyear, Michelin & Bridgestone - have had the M&S rating and the 21 plate Caravelle I have now has factory fit Bridgestone Weather Control also has the higher 'Three-Peak' mountain certification whatever that means.

The Goodyears have proven to be really good, long lasting, quiet and brilliant on snow/ice. The Bridgestones are too new to know.

Winter tyres on an E63? that must enhance drift mode?
As I understand it (and could be wrong) If you have “3 peak” tyres & 4 mot, you don’t have to carry snow chains in the Alps. We have Pirelli Carrier All Season with the 3peak mark on our 4mot, & have never had to use diff lock in the Alps despite some hairy conditions. I do carry snow chains, just in case, but they’ve never been used in anger.

Back