Oil temperature

Rick

Builder
T6 Pro
IMG_3647.JPG towed our 1500 kg caravan to Cornwall and our oil temperature reached 111 degrees C at some hills
Does anyone know if this is an acceptable reading and what is the highest it can get too without causing a problem
T6 kombi t32 lwb dsg 150 hp tow vehicle

Last edited:
I had the same climbing up the tracks in the Alps the other week, I saw 115 at one point.

...and I wasn't towing!

no problem calm, today's oils remain stable at 150 degrees ... what you need to control is the temperature of the water ...
Salutoni

Be careful. It depends on what oil grade you're using. 120degrees c would be the absolute limit id be happy with on a 40 grade oil like 5w40 or 0w40.
On my prelude I run an oil cooler and 10w60 oil. Anything over 120 degrees during track driving and I ease off.

Highest I have had the van was 111deg c on a motorway during fast driving then hitting heavy stop go traffic during a 26deg c day.

You're right, I did not mean that the oil temperature could go up smoothly during the march up to 150 degrees, I meant that from laboratory tests are the stable modern oils up to unthinkable temperatures until years ago .... I ran with motorcycle from track and motocross, and I can assure you that the engine oil temperatures went up very smoothly to mechanical parts ... so many years ago ...

View attachment 13197 towed our 1500 kg caravan to Cornwall and our oil temperature reached 111 degrees C at some hills
Does anyone know if this is an acceptable reading and what is the highest it can get too without causing a problem
T6 kombi t32 lwb dsg 150 hp tow vehicle
I've had the same problem going up hills I've reached 115. My gauge once it reaches 90 then it does not move up or down where has my digital read show the 115 up hills. I assume the digital would be more accurate. Has anyone had the same issue

I've had the same problem going up hills I've reached 115. My gauge once it reaches 90 then it does not move up or down where has my digital read show the 115 up hills. I assume the digital would be more accurate. Has anyone had the same issue
The gauge is 'weighted' to sit at 90..mine shows 90 anywhere from 75 to about 100 degrees on the OBC

The only gauge on the T6 is the coolant, normal operating temp being 90 Deg C.
Your digital gauge may be the oil temperature which runs at a higher temperature, see oil temperature on the MFD.

Back