Notchy 2nd gear

I have the same problem with mine,been like it from new,dealer has fobbed me off too,12000 miles in & still the same.
its going back in though..... i cant stand it anymore.
The last time my van went back to the dealer the head mechanic/fitter reconed the gear change felt tight so they put new linkage cables in. I was hopefull but after a week I realised it is still the same .That was 6 months ago now I’m at 19,000 miles of driving my van I think I’ve come to the conclusion that this is how these gearbox’s are ( not going to be smooth as my old caddy van of 12 years) but transporter has cable linkages & I think partically going first to second can’t be rushed & pushed striaght in quick like I could with my old van but saying that it’s never not gone in gear. After all I’ve decided to live with it as I have drove two other six speed demo vans from the dealers to compare mine with both where almost brand new vans One seemed better than mine & one the same characteristics so I think some may be better than others! May all get better with more mileage perhaps!

Well,being a skilled mechanic,I am 100% sure it's a syncro problem....
I have changed gear cables literally 100s of times on HGVs ,I know how problems start with them.
This is a internal issue,it would appear when you start digging that syncro issues are quite common.
Going to start an email chain too so as & when it does outside of warranty I will have evidence.
TBH if ford did a 4x4 I would of got a transit.

Hi all, anybody got a guide on how to adjust the gear linkage cable? I ask as sometime mine hates first and reverse but very occasional and no other issues besides this

I've just stumbled across this so apologies for a late reply @J88arv
My 2016 Euro 5 140 is occasionally difficult to get into 1st gear. It seems to have 2 stages to the gearstick movement and doesn't always go fully home resulting in a crunch when I attempt to pull away.
The one constant in all of this appears to be engine temp as it is always fine after a decent run. To that end I am convinced that it is an oil based problem and intend to change the gearbox oil when I do the annual service later in the year. FYI I'm on 103000 miles (and probably the original oil...).

I’ve just bought a T6 2019 T32 Shuttle - manual 102. There’s been metallic clacking noise from underneath the van when in low gears (1-3).

Took it back to the dealer and was told today that it’s a known issue “a cosmetic noise on the synchro” there is a TPI on this from VW which the showroom has now ordered parts for.

Only supposed to affect the low gears and is related to the tolerance of the parts - parts are manufactured in different places so I guess they get a bad batch sometimes that slip through quality control. Anyway, hope this helps!

I’ve just bought a T6 2019 T32 Shuttle - manual 102. There’s been metallic clacking noise from underneath the van when in low gears (1-3).

Took it back to the dealer and was told today that it’s a known issue “a cosmetic noise on the synchro” there is a TPI on this from VW which the showroom has now ordered parts for.

Only supposed to affect the low gears and is related to the tolerance of the parts - parts are manufactured in different places so I guess they get a bad batch sometimes that slip through quality control. Anyway, hope this helps!
TPI??

It’ll be fixed under my warranty (3 yrs).

No, not a recall. TDI’s aren’t shared with general public...More like anyone that reports this issue and it’s checked by a VW Commercial Showroom it’ll be identified against the TDI and will require new parts and labour.
Not sure what will be done if you’re out of warranty though...

It’ll be fixed under my warranty (3 yrs).

No, not a recall. TDI’s aren’t shared with general public...More like anyone that reports this issue and it’s checked by a VW Commercial Showroom it’ll be identified against the TDI and will require new parts and labour.
Not sure what will be done if you’re out of warranty though...
Mines a 16 plate so defo out of warranty

Hi everyone. New to the forum.. just had interim service at n my T6, owned from new, and serviced at main dealer, extended warranty, 2016 model, 150k on here now, Iv just asked them when the Manual gear box oil is due for changing, and they said they don’t have it on a service schedule, and doesn’t need doing, “(I knew this). Iv changed the oil 3 times now since I’ve owned it, and it did need changing, money well spent in my eyes. All gears work as they should, no problems changing from 1st to 2nd, although it was a bit tight when I bought it at 1st. VW say it’s oil for life!! Life of what, the gearbox. The was was not good when I drained it. Only advice I could give anyone, before drain them oil, make sure you can unscrew the fill plug, as that can get corroded in. It’s a 15 minute job. Just under 3 litres of oil, and you will notice a difference when you have done it, especially for f it has never been done, and it’s done 50k or so.

Hi everyone. New to the forum.. just had interim service at n my T6, owned from new, and serviced at main dealer, extended warranty, 2016 model, 150k on here now, Iv just asked them when the Manual gear box oil is due for changing, and they said they don’t have it on a service schedule, and doesn’t need doing, “(I knew this). Iv changed the oil 3 times now since I’ve owned it, and it did need changing, money well spent in my eyes. All gears work as they should, no problems changing from 1st to 2nd, although it was a bit tight when I bought it at 1st. VW say it’s oil for life!! Life of what, the gearbox. The was was not good when I drained it. Only advice I could give anyone, before drain them oil, make sure you can unscrew the fill plug, as that can get corroded in. It’s a 15 minute job. Just under 3 litres of oil, and you will notice a difference when you have done it, especially for f it has never been done, and it’s done 50k or so.
Anyone local to look at mine

Out of interest,did you use standard spec oil or a fully synthetic oil? the reason i ask is speaking with a friend who had some issues with a subaru, he refreshed with fully synthetic & cured the problem. Now mine is out of warranty,i may do the same

I mentioned to my dealer that my box felt notchy going into second . They gave it a test drive and said it needed a new gearbox which they replaced under warranty at 25,000 miles . Well even with the new box gear changes are still the same.
Other cars i have owned, including VWs with Manuel boxes have all been smooth and a pleasure to drive. I am left wondering why I bought a T6. Poor built quality, not very reliable and not an engaging drive, and not cheap. You pull up at a roundabout wondering if it will stall if you try and rush off the line . Guess I fell for the VW badge. Not sure I would buy another Transporter .

I bought a 2016 MY 6 speed at 24K miles and I found the gearbox very notchy, now at approx 45K one of us has broken in. Hard to say who won.

Back