Notchy 2nd gear

Abbot

Hi all
I am after some advise from anyone with a manual 6 speed gear box on their t6.

I have a euro 5, 140, 16 plate. I have had this from new. Coming from a smaller vw caddy van I have found that going from 1st to 2nd gear can feel a bit notchy on my T6.

I have already mentioned it to dealership soon after delivery and they had a quick look or adjust of something; which quite honestly had made no difference.

At the time it had only done a few of hundred miles and not wanting them to pull it apart I thought i would leave it hoping it would losen up over time.

Now having done 10,ooo miles it still isn't what I'd hoped for upon buying a new T6. Its going back into vw dealer next week to be looked at. Love everything else about it apart from this niggle.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem or is it just part and parcel of a bigger van? I would appreciate anyone's opinion.

Hi all
I am after some advise from anyone with a manual 6 speed gear box on their t6.

I have a euro 5, 140, 16 plate. I have had this from new. Coming from a smaller vw caddy van I have found that going from 1st to 2nd gear can feel a bit notchy on my T6.

I have already mentioned it to dealership soon after delivery and they had a quick look or adjust of something; which quite honestly had made no difference.

At the time it had only done a few of hundred miles and not wanting them to pull it apart I thought i would leave it hoping it would losen up over time.

Now having done 10,ooo miles it still isn't what I'd hoped for upon buying a new T6. Its going back into vw dealer next week to be looked at. Love everything else about it apart from this niggle.

Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar problem or is it just part and parcel of a bigger van? I would appreciate anyone's opinion.

Me too Abbot......mentioned it to the dealer and they said it was fine? I find that it's a smoother change when a few more RPM are dialled in. I always strive for a smooth change, but you're right, it ain't the smoothest change in the world.

My 61plate T5.1 6 speed box was like that with only 35k on the clock. I heard it was an inherent problem. I only had it 6 weeks before I placed my deposit down for a T6 DSG.

In 2005 my T5 had to have a new (warrantee) 6 speed gear box, because 2nd gear synchro failed. There where loads of T5's made in 2004 that had this problem, anyway new gear box and 160,000miles later no problems at all.
Surely not a similar problem from the past..........

Thanks for your replies , it will be interesting to see what the dealer reckons when it's in on Tuesday, I thought it would be interesting to know if you guys think the gear changes on your van are smooth & have a Good gearbox ! don't get me wrong it has always gone into second But you can't be in a rush or I would feel I would be crunching the gears , which I feel it shouldn't be like this from new , As mopardave(thanks)suggests I have tried driving in higher revs in first gear before the change to second , but doesn't really help nor does it get any better when the engine hot, disappointed!

Thanks for your replies , it will be interesting to see what the dealer reckons when it's in on Tuesday, I thought it would be interesting to know if you guys think the gear changes on your van are smooth & have a Good gearbox ! don't get me wrong it has always gone into second But you can't be in a rush or I would feel I would be crunching the gears , which I feel it shouldn't be like this from new , As mopardave(thanks)suggests I have tried driving in higher revs in first gear before the change to second , but doesn't really help nor does it get any better when the engine hot, disappointed!

Good luck Abbot.....but unless it's really bad, I think they'll say it's within tolerances. It's a funny thing, but some days I think my clutch control and gear changes are legendary and almost imperceptibly smooth......and other days it's like I've slipped on a pair of diving boots by mistake!:)

Thanks mopardave I think your right Vw will say it's probably within tolerance, that's why I thought I would ask other owners if they have the same problem & opinions weather I have to just accept it or have people tell me the box change is smooth & never a problem! My luck

Thanks mopardave I think your right Vw will say it's probably within tolerance, that's why I thought I would ask other owners if they have the same problem & opinions weather I have to just accept it or have people tell me the box change is smooth & never a problem! My luck
Abbot......it's hard to say anything constructive or of any value because I haven't driven yours......but I'm pretty sure a notchy first to second gear change is a characteristic of the 6 speed box. It can be ironed out to a degree (with driving style) but I have to make a conscious effort to do this. It's not great, I agree......and there are great gear boxes out there......my god, my daughters mini was a sublime gear change. I'm probably going to get slated now, but it could be that as these vehicles are commercials, we have to accept that the gear boxes are a little on the agricultural side! Rightly or wrongly, I've accepted it now (9000 miles on my 150 kombi)......like I said, some days I'm a legend (in my own mind;)).....other days I'm not, but every day......I love my Kombi......warts an' all! I came from a sublimely silky smooth 6 cyl auto petrol BMW......would I go back........nah! Enjoy bruv!!! :thumbsup:

I'm getting a vibration through the gear knob sometimes when I pop it in neutral , if I move the gear stick slightly it stops ? haven't been to dealer yet but its next thing on my list.

Hi superfly I haven't had any problems with vibrations in neutral, as yet, How does yours go into second gear? striaght away or do you have to wait moment or two for it to be able to drop in?

My last van had a notchy change in to second gear from new (2012, 140). The dealer offered to look at it, which would involve removing and stripping the box. I didnt want that with a new van, so decided to live with it. Over a long period of time it did improve.

My reluctance to allow their "technicians" strip the box goes back to my first T5 (2004 174) which developed a fault- they had that box in bits twice, their second repair wrecked the box, so in the end they did replace it. Its worth noting though, that even though it was under warranty, the replacement box was a reconditioned job, not brand new.

That was another reason why i decided to live with it, if the box did get changed,you could end up with one which is older than your van!

Hi superfly I haven't had any problems with vibrations in neutral, as yet, How does yours go into second gear? striaght away or do you have to wait moment or two for it to be able to drop in?
Its fine going into 2nd gear, its just the issue I mentioned that is intermittent.

Well my van has been back to the dealership today & they said all done! They have adjusted the linkage cables and for the drive home in traffic it seems it may be better, I'll give it a week or so before I comment further.

16 plate 140 4Motion with 6 speed manual and all gears are very smooth. If you have to wait to put it into gear it's a synchromesh problem rather than linkages.

Is this a constant issue or something that you have for the first five minutes of driving and then improves? Different gearbox oil can help with those symptoms.

Thanks mooncat its is only second gear only since they have adjusted it it seems better, may be I'm expecting too much as one of the technicians said they are a commercial vehicle & aren't going to be as smooth as some cars , I will see how it goes over the few weeks

I've been paying particular attention to my 1 - 2 gear change in the last couple of days and I can't fault it. If you're not 100% happy after a couple of weeks, go back to the VW dealer and take a test drive in their demo or a similar used vehicle for a comparison.

@Mooncat thanks second isn't any better So I've taken your advice and test drove the dealers demo 6 speed t6 & second gear didn't once hesitate to go in ! So my van is booked to go back in to the workshop next week . See what they do next

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too Abbot......mentioned it to the dealer and they said it was fine? I find that it's a smoother change when a few more RPM are dialled in. I always strive for a smooth change, but you're right, it ain't the smoothest change in the world.

Just did a google search for same issue and this thread came up, my vans now done 1,600 miles (T6, T32, 204) and have noticed mine feels notchy from 1st to 2nd, wasn't impressed really as the Caddy was silky smooth but think i've been too light on the accelerator as tonight I tried a little more gas and it seemed more comfortable doing the change so hopefully my driving style was to blame

I have the same problem with mine,been like it from new,dealer has fobbed me off too,12000 miles in & still the same.
its going back in though..... i cant stand it anymore.

Back