Difficulty selecting gears

Twindub

VIP Member
Hi everyone, a bit of a newby here , so all help gratefully received ! I have a manual T6 2016 which has suddenly developed a problem selecting gears. I was pulling away from the Cornwall / Devon toll booth and suddenly lost the ability to select 3rd. I have actually lost reverse, 1st and 5th so managed to limp home in 4th and 2nd. I had a quick look and feel of the actuator arm on the gear box and it seems ok on the spline. I think I am selecting gears there so I am guessing its one of the two cables has come out of adjustment. is there a recommended youtube video for checking the adjustment at the gear stick end ? Am i right in thinking that one lifts the selector at the gear box to select reverse, 3 & 5 and the other rotates the arm to select 2&4 ? Many thanks in advance for any guidance with this.

I have an issue changing gears , I could select 2nd + 4th so took of the cab plastics to reveal the cables. One of the cables had come out of the plastic moulding that holds everything together. It has popped a spring clip which can be seen on the other cable. I cant find the clip , I'm guessing its buried under the carpet somewhere. Would anyone know where I can get a replacement / part number. Many thanks. IMG_0538.JPEGIMG_0539.JPEGIMG_0541.JPEG

Do you think it may have come out because of misalignment further down the cables?
I found that further down the cables where they contact the van floor they is quite a lot of force acting on them before they go through the floor rubber seal. So much force so that VW have put some silicone guards on the cables. On my van these were worn away, 55000 miles use.

D018179A-7671-4905-9A92-45D886C6CA1B.jpeg

98D2D15F-8A12-4C63-A9B6-AB75A47BB06E.jpeg

Interesting .. yes its possible, mines done around 60k , I dont think the silicone guards look too bad , but I will take closer look.

Back