Not All Lubes Are Equal....who Knew?

mopardave

150 Kombi Manual
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Right gents.....on the back of a recent thread re: wheels seizing on the hubs, of which I've had personal experience.....it turns out that not all lubes are the same! I never cease to be enlightened/amazed/terrified by the knowledgeable people on this forum and long may that continue.....it turns out, I've been using copper grease on my hubs when I shouldn't have been! I'm all about preventative maintenance.....more frequent oil changes etc and I also like to spray a bit of lube around all over the place whenever I get chance! So, it seems copper lube is "out" on hubs. What lubes do you use and where.....and in particular, where should you not use them (brake discs before anyone says it!:laugh:)?
Cheers gents!:thumbsup:
(and if you get smutty with your suggestions for the application of lube.....I'll grass you up to @Pauly and the mods......not!!:laugh:)

I've always been a copper grease on hubs kind of guy, struggling to find it here it southern Italy and about to change wheels, so what is the right stuff to use?

I'm the same always copper greased my wheels for years with no problems, but always happy to learn new tricks

I've always been a copper grease on hubs kind of guy, struggling to find it here it southern Italy and about to change wheels, so what is the right stuff to use?
Those that know are saying we shouldn't be using copper grease.....which is why I've started this thread. There's obviously some confusion out there.....to which I'm certainly holding up my hand!:thumbsup:

I believe that the copper content can encourage corrosion when used with certain metals hence I've stopped using copper grease on the back & sides of the brake pads on my motorbikes, and in numerous other places such as the hub to wheel mating surfaces of our beloved vans.
In it's place I use a dedicated "metal free" brake grease from Mintex called Ceratec anti brake squeal lubricant. Allthough it is primarily intended for brake systems, I also use it to prevent my wheels seizing onto the hub.

Granville Ceramic Brake Grease?

Product Description: Granville Ceramic Brake Grease is an exceptionally high quality grease that is non- conductive and non-melting. It is highly water resistant and ideal for vehicles with ABS braking systems. Ceramic Brake Grease is free from copper additives and is suitable for use with aluminium brake components.

Product Benefits: * Electrically non-conductive * Non-melting * Highly water resistant * Copper-free Product Usage This product is formulated for lubrication of automotive brake callipers, specifically those using electronic ABS braking systems requiring a non-conductive grease. Additional uses include high temperature anti-seize and mould release applications.

Granville | Product Information

https://www.granvilleoil.com/techData/pdfTechData?ptdID=498

@DaveyB....No, stop it.....Just stop it! You should know better! I'm gonna report you to the mods.....er, hang on a mo....oh b*ggar! :p

Cooper & ally don't mix it causes corrosion, must admit I neved put anything on mine but then I have never touched them. Molly grease should be ok but like copper grease it gets everywhere :confused:

... but I prefer to remove the wheels from time to time, clean the hubs and rims and use a little vaseline technique, never had problems .. but also the pork belly is fine .... hahaha

I promise I'm not being smutty, I genuinely just use a smear of vaseline on the hub and wheel. I've never had a wheel seize on on any of my car's alloy wheels. I've never had steel wheels so can't comment on them.

I think it's time I ditched the copper slip. Presumably, it's still ok when used on similar metals....steel against steel etc? Does anyone have a view on using silicone sprays.....or anything else for that matter on suspension components....bushes etc? It's probably my ocd but if I've got my van jacked up for any reason....changing wheels etc, I tend to spray a bit of silicone spray around the suspension bushes. Any thoughts.....other than probably pointless? :thumbsup:

I tend to spray a bit of silicone spray around the suspension bushes. Any thoughts.....other than probably pointless? :thumbsup:
I do the same... if it stops them drying out they will last longer..

I do the same... if it stops them drying out they will last longer..
Ah…..so I'm not alone @Loz.....do you have a particular favourite that you'd recommend? I did wonder if it was a pointless exercise? Am I right in saying only silicone sprays are safe on rubber components?:thumbsup:

Back