Careful with the islands, opening up travel between them and the mainland isn't yet set in stone - it's being looked at. Clarification should come soon.
The snow on the hills is patchy now, but they look good like that.

Last edited:
Ben Nevis a must . For William downhill mountain bike course, silver sands of morar beach is stunning . Hopefully I spelled it correctly. Look on the 7staines website if you're into mountain bikes. These are just a couple of my favourite things. There are plenty of Munro's to do aswell I,m sure there's a million things to do.
I went here last year, will definitely be going back to morar and Nevis range.

Hi All,

Thinking about doing the NC500 first/second week of April and was wondering if anyone had worked out a good itinerary for it - campsites / wild camp park-ups, recommended restaurants and sites, etc.

Just trying to save myself some leg work. just in the process of browsing the forum posts on the subject.

Thanks in advance.

C
Did you get to do the NC500 ?

Did you get to do the NC500 ?
Hi @Gwyn I did not intentionally do the NC500 but travelling back to Kent from the Outer Hebrides I did the section from Ullapool to Fort William, this week. I did the NC500 back in 2017 and loved it, it had only just been advertised back then as a thing to do. Most nights we found ourselves on our own tucked into the back of a beach or atop a Munro in our van.

Having just done the west coast route again this week, it was rammed!!! Seriously, traffic was always heavy, every parking space was full of hired white boxes M/Homes, campers and sports cars lined up with tents.
Driving is fairly stressy as every 20mins there is a line of M3's, Audi RS4's and hired boxsters up your ass, trying to do an overtake and taking the apex (drive it like you stole it style!)

If you are thinking of doing it, wait till after September when I would think it may be quieter. I'm sure it's the "stay-cation" effect so as other countries open up it may also improve.

We were so shocked by the traffic and parking situation, we pushed on late into the night to reach a campsite in Fort William (Glenn Nevis) which was also busy but more civilized.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
IMG_20210625_093409-01.jpeg

Hi @Gwyn I did not intentionally do the NC500 but travelling back to Kent from the Outer Hebrides I did the section from Ullapool to Fort William, this week. I did the NC500 back in 2017 and loved it, it had only just been advertised back then as a thing to do. Most nights we found ourselves on our own tucked into the back of a beach or atop a Munro in our van.

Having just done the west coast route again this week, it was rammed!!! Seriously, traffic was always heavy, every parking space was full of hired white boxes M/Homes, campers and sports cars lined up with tents.
Driving is fairly stressy as every 20mins there is a line of M3's, Audi RS4's and hired boxsters up your ass, trying to do an overtake and taking the apex (drive it like you stole it style!)

If you are thinking of doing it, wait till after September when I would think it may be quieter. I'm sure it's the "stay-cation" effect so as other countries open up it may also improve.

We were so shocked by the traffic and parking situation, we pushed on late into the night to reach a campsite in Fort William (Glenn Nevis) which was also busy but more civilized.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
View attachment 121387
Thanks for the advice but sadly were limited to the school holidays ( wife's a teacher ) going to give it a go towards the end of July :cautious:

Thanks for the advice but sadly were limited to the school holidays ( wife's a teacher ) going to give it a go towards the end of July :cautious:
The scenery is stunning, shoot off down any small roads that appear to go nowhere and you find some peace and quiet. Please don't let me put you off, just wanted you to know the real picture that you won't be alone.
Make sure you post some pics. :thumbsup:

Its all very good.
We did anti clockwise in 2017;
Black Isle - Great
Dornoch - Great Gin at Hotel
Whalogoe Steps - Billy Connelly fame
JoG - bit shabby
Dunnet Head - lighthouse and gin distillery!
Durness and Smoo Cave
Ardmair point - great campsite on edge of water - firepit on sand
Sheldaig - great café/bakery/fresh fish
Kinlochewe
Gairloch/Big Sands - great beach
Applecross - very busy and pub landlord owns everything - they can't decide to shun visitors or welcome them! If you're
not eating at the pub then they're not overly friendly!!
"Pass of the Cattle" - fabulous drive, not unlike the Alp ski resorts without the snow! - weather dependent!
If you have time, Isle of Skye is fab.
The authorities are starting to frown on wild camping due to the lack of consideration of idle people!

ITS GREAT !!
Next years trip for me hopefully.

I may bump into you :cool: . I leave next Sunday from the T6 summer camp at the Brooke Meadows for 2 weeks. I did it last September but it wasn't good with all the COVID restrictions in place so i'm going back and adding in Skye for 3 days.

I’ve got 2 weeks off work in September and was hoping to have bought a van and had it converted in time to spend the fortnight up there. Looks like it’s going to have to be 2021 now.:(

I ended up buying a ready converted van in the end so I did make it up there last September.
Had a great time and am going back up again this September.
I’m not going to bother with the east coast this time, going straight to the west/north coast and hoping to do some of the islands too this time.

We just completed the NC500 starting Loch Lomond as we live nearby! Great overall experience, see down below to see where it went a bit wrong

We went through:

Glencoe
Freecamped at Loch Lochy
Mam Ratagan Pass
(MUST)
Freecamped in Glenelg (MUST visit)- views Skye across the water
Plockton (stopped at Coral Beach) before you high Plockton (train station nearby)
(we swam out and a curious seal was just 20feet away and stayed for about 5 minutes)
Really enjoyed boating trip at Plockton
Freecamped at Loch Carron, over the Bealach na Ba to Applecross
Stopped at 2 beaches driving from Applecross to Torridon
Up to Victoria Falls on Loch Maree
Stopped at Firemore Beach by Poolewe (MUST visit)
Then through Laid to Mellon Udrigle Beach (so so beach, fairly busy)
Ardressie Falls
Then Falls of Measach to Ullapool for much needed stock up
Freecamped at Knockan Crag National Nature Reserve
Up to Ardvreck Castle and Falls
Then to Lochinver (nice but locals !!!)
Inchnadamph Falls
Achmelvich
Bay (MUST - No one was there)
Old Man of Stoer
Clashnessie Falls
(drought so no water)
Smoo Cave in Durness (drough so no waterfall)
(Laundry facility in carpark near Smoo Cave)
Freecamped at Kylesku
hit Castle Varrich
Strathy Beach (great)
Melvich Beach (even better - 5 other couples over about a mile of beach)

Freecamped on the road to Dunnet Head Lighthouse (several places but be early)
Headed to Scrabster then Orkney to see the various standing stones / Scarabrae / italian chapel and Kirkwall
(some shops in Kirkwall were not very welcoming to tourists - we established it wasnt us when talking to other campers in a nearby camp site)
Everything tourist wise in Kirkwall was really expensive. Sadly they have removed the TWATT sign due to traffic and twats wanting a photo!

When back on the mainland we went to John O Groats - recommend the seal tour around Stroma - was £50 for 2 adults and 2 kids - saw 100's of puffins, seals and other Scottish sea birds. The island was abandoned decades ago and the views are fab.

Checked out Duncansby Stack and light house
Visited Dunrobin Castle (well overpriced for what it was)
Then went through Aviemore and "freecamped" for £10 at Loch Eileen (MUST - fab views and walks)
Then headed home to Loch Lomond via Loch Tay

Took 15 days - missed out a few small things we did but google "things to do" in the highlighted places and see what takes your fancy.

Side note - anyone wanting to visit Loch Tay (stunning views) be sure to visit Fionn's Rock (also known as The Praying Hands). On the way to Fionn's Rock there are several places to Freecamp - we stayed at the Damn last time. Loads of places.

Spend nearly 100 days sleeping in the van on various trips. Love it! Except the wife always brings too much stuff.

Downside of our trip:

Mixed reception when far north. Consisted mainly of locals being awkward on passing places, dozens of "looks", staring and/or shaking their heads (hadn't done anything other than jump out of the van). We were outwardly spoken to and told by 3 different people to "go home". Called Covid Spreaders by 2 different folk and a few more times told that they didn't want us there. The minority of dirty campers have us all tarred with the same brush.

Wife is Scottish I am not. The worst 2 places for us were:

Lochinver - lots of signs saying NO CAMPERVANS and DO NOT PARK HERE which were non official signs. 2 locals approached us to tell us to go home. A lady and buggy with an old dear waited until we were in ear shot then started to loudly berate campervans and their dirty habbits. We own the road and are inconsiderate *****. Said this infront of my kids. The spar threw my change on the counter - no please or thank you and turned to talk to her friend and blanked me. We left after this.

Durness - The toilet cleaner was nice to talk to and as soon as he found out we were in a camper he just said "i wish all you folk would go home".
The campsite in Durness should be avoided in my opinion - poor cleanliness and real bad attitude from management.

We saw several layby's, small off road pieces and potential parking spots blocked off by rocks / wood dragged in place to prevent access. Accompanied by un official signs saying no parking. This was often near a few homes or the odd home. On the way to Dunnet Head 2 places had been blocked off with "no parking" crudely painted on a wooden sign. The council must be really low on funds!! ;)

You will see signs saying "go home" "stop the NC500" "stop spreading covid" and many anti English phrases inside toilets, in house windows and even some shops - I have taken pictures which when I sort through I will upload a few.

Other comments i wish to share:

90% of public toilets are 20p 40p or 50p - bring lots of change as shops wont part with it
There are ALOT of boy racers (and old dudes) hammering their cars across the NC500 - drive with care
Some youngsters have hired large motorhomes and lack the confidence to manoeuvre their vehicle properly
All campsites we stayed at were expensive for laundry / drying - factor this in. Some were £1 per 15 min tumble drying
Most showers on campsites don't run well if they are all occupied - not enough pressure
Smidge DOESNT NOT WORK. SMIDGE DOES NOT WORK. DO NOT PAY £8 or £11 a bottle.

Midges are bad here on the west coast where I live and we use Citronella, Lavender and Tea tree essential oils mixed up in a bottle with hot water and shaken madly to mix. Good spray and you get peace for upto an hour. Just make up enough for your trip We ran out on day 5 and no where did we find more oils. Pine needles also work - grab a good bunch and crush them on your clothes to release the oils (may irritate skin). Wear long sleeves and trousers.

Also regular mosquito head nets are not midge proof. The little ****ers can get through the holes easily. You may well see a tourist or two violently pulling their midgy hat off whilst enacting out a seizure (I was one of them haha).

Just realised how much I have typed so if there are any typo's or gramma failures - I couldn't be bothered to go over it so there. Hope its food for thought for some folk and dont let it put you off going - just be prepared or avoid certain area's.

We just completed the NC500 starting Loch Lomond as we live nearby! Great overall experience, see down below to see where it went a bit wrong

We went through:

Glencoe
Freecamped at Loch Lochy
Mam Ratagan Pass
(MUST)
Plockton (stopped at Coral Beach) before you high Plockton (train station nearby)
(we swam out and a curious seal was just 20feet away and stayed for about 5 minutes)
Ardressie Falls
Inchnadamph Falls
Achmelvich
Old Man of Stoer
Clashnessie Falls
(drought so no water)
Freecamped at Kylesku
hit Castle Varrich
Strathy Beach (great)

Headed to Scrabster then Orkney to see the various standing stones / Scarabrae / italian chapel and Kirkwall
(some shops in Kirkwall were not very welcoming to tourists - we established it wasnt us when talking to other campers in a nearby camp site)
Everything tourist wise in Kirkwall was really expensive. Sadly they have removed the TWATT sign due to traffic and twats wanting a photo!

When back on the mainland we went to John O Groats - recommend the seal tour around Stroma - was £50 for 2 adults and 2 kids - saw 100's of puffins, seals and other Scottish sea birds. The island was abandoned decades ago and the views are fab.

Then went through Aviemore and "freecamped" for £10 at Loch Eileen (MUST - fab views and walks)

Took 15 days - missed out a few small things we did but google "things to do" in the highlighted places and see what takes your fancy.

Side note - anyone wanting to visit Loch Tay (stunning views) be sure to visit Fionn's Rock (also known as The Praying Hands). On the way to Fionn's Rock there are several places to Freecamp - we stayed at the Damn last time. Loads of places.

Spend nearly 100 days sleeping in the van on various trips. Love it! Except the wife always brings too much stuff.

Downside of our trip:

Mixed reception when far north. Consisted mainly of locals being awkward on passing places, dozens of "looks", staring and/or shaking their heads (hadn't done anything other than jump out of the van). We were outwardly spoken to and told by 3 different people to "go home". Called Covid Spreaders by 2 different folk and a few more times told that they didn't want us there. The minority of dirty campers have us all tarred with the same brush.

Lochinver - lots of signs saying NO CAMPERVANS and DO NOT PARK HERE which were non official signs. 2 locals approached us to tell us to go home. A lady and buggy with an old dear waited until we were in ear shot then started to loudly berate campervans and their dirty habbits. We own the road and are inconsiderate *****. Said this infront of my kids. The spar threw my change on the counter - no please or thank you and turned to talk to her friend and blanked me. We left after this.

Durness - The toilet cleaner was nice to talk to and as soon as he found out we were in a camper he just said "i wish all you folk would go home".
The campsite in Durness should be avoided in my opinion - poor cleanliness and real bad attitude from management.

We saw several layby's, small off road pieces and potential parking spots blocked off by rocks / wood dragged in place to prevent access. Accompanied by un official signs saying no parking. This was often near a few homes or the odd home. On the way to Dunnet Head 2 places had been blocked off with "no parking" crudely painted on a wooden sign. The council must be really low on funds!! ;)

You will see signs saying "go home" "stop the NC500" "stop spreading covid" and many anti English phrases inside toilets, in house windows and even some shops - I have taken pictures which when I sort through I will upload a few.

90% of public toilets are 20p 40p or 50p - bring lots of change as shops wont part with it
There are ALOT of boy racers (and old dudes) hammering their cars across the NC500 - drive with care
Some youngsters have hired large motorhomes and lack the confidence to manoeuvre their vehicle properly
All campsites we stayed at were expensive for laundry / drying - factor this in. Some were £1 per 15 min tumble drying
Most showers on campsites don't run well if they are all occupied - not enough pressure

Midges are bad here on the west coast where I live and we use Citronella, Lavender and Tea tree essential oils mixed up in a bottle with hot water and shaken madly to mix. Good spray and you get peace for upto an hour. Just make up enough for your trip We ran out on day 5 and no where did we find more oils. Pine needles also work - grab a good bunch and crush them on your clothes to release the oils (may irritate skin). Wear long sleeves and trousers.

Also regular mosquito head nets are not midge proof. The little ****ers can get through the holes easily. You may well see a tourist or two violently pulling their midgy hat off whilst enacting out a seizure (I was one of them haha).

Just realised how much I have typed so if there are any typo's or gramma failures - I couldn't be bothered to go over it so there. Hope its food for thought for some folk and dont let it put you off going - just be prepared or avoid certain area's.

That’s great info, thanks very much.

I don’t know about the NC500 in general but in my experience Orkney folk are usually super friendly so if even they aren’t too welcoming at the moment then I suspect no one really wants camper vans and motorhomes at the moment. Given the way covid numbers are heading, I can understand their concerns.

Tensions between fear of a virus and dirty wild camping. Plus there are those who retired there for the peace and quiet and the campervans, motorcycles and boy racers are disturbing their tranquillity. Easy to see both sides.

I passed probably upwards of 80 motorbikes and not one of them was speeding or acting anti socially. I wonder if they were getting grief too?

Tensions between fear of a virus and dirty wild camping. Plus there are those who retired there for the peace and quiet and the campervans, motorcycles and boy racers are disturbing their tranquillity. Easy to see both sides.

I passed probably upwards of 80 motorbikes and not one of them was speeding or acting anti socially. I wonder if they were getting grief too?

Yeah, I do think the NC500 has been a victim of its own success in some ways. Tensions this year higher than usual I suppose for obvious reasons.

Reactions: KR.
A few points on the above from someone who lives in the Highlands

I can’t speak for all areas but I haven’t seen any of the hostility from locals. i might just not be going to those areas. The problem is that last year was really grim. For example a couple of areas round us were rendered unusable by huge amounts human s**t and rubbish including broken glass left behind

Smidge - in our experience, and everyone we know, it is actually the only thing that Is effective against the midge. It is also pretty effective against tics which are becoming a bigger problem by the year everywhere in the UK

Midge nets. Get a midge net, not a mosquito net. Having said that, the midgies on the west coast are not so bad this year although that could be because it has generally been quite windy

We went through:

Glencoe
Freecamped at Loch Lochy
Mam Ratagan Pass
(MUST)
Ardressie Falls
Inchnadamph Falls
Achmelvich
Old Man of Stoer
Clashnessie Falls
(drought so no water)
Freecamped at Kylesku
hit Castle Varrich
Strathy Beach (great)

Downside of our trip:

This was a very timely post. I'm off tomorrow for 12 days and will be looking at some of them wild camp spots. I did it last year but in a hurry. The locals were generally very friendly except in one place and I just ignored them.

My mam is from Thurso so I went too have a look at her and grans birthplaces. Once the locals found out what I was doing they fetched a 95 year old lady who remembered my mam and family from 1943 when they left. She wanted chapter and verse on what happened to them all. Offered me her drive for the night in the van but i was already in a campsite. Great cup of tea & a piece of cake:Ed my dog was spoilt. She also introduced me to some cousins.

This was a very timely post. I'm off tomorrow for 12 days and will be looking at some of them wild camp spots. I did it last year but in a hurry. The locals were generally very friendly except in one place and I just ignored them.

My mam is from Thurso so I went too have a look at her and grans birthplaces. Once the locals found out what I was doing they fetched a 95 year old lady who remembered my mam and family from 1943 when they left. She wanted chapter and verse on what happened to them all. Offered me her drive for the night in the van but i was already in a campsite. Great cup of tea & a piece of cake:Ed my dog was spoilt. She also introduced me to some cousins.
How did the trip go @Mick? I ask as I’m off there in a few weeks - Bonar Bridge way. Not for the NC500 per se, but will inevitably take in some parts of it.

How did the trip go @Mick? I ask as I’m off there in a few weeks - Bonar Bridge way. Not for the NC500 per se, but will inevitably take in some parts of it.
I've only just seen this. It went great wild sampled for 4 nights 2 showers nights in campsites.

Back