Noisy pop-top

Olly787

Just had test drive of a T6. There was a lot of aerodynamic noise from this pop-top above about 50mph.

Is this normal? What do you think of the gap between seal and pop top here? Any fix ideas?

Really appreciate any advice as the van seems great otherwise.

067EC817-711A-4B6D-B357-F72EBF871F9B.jpeg

Never seen a setup like that before. That looks to me like the pop-top has been replaced, and the original seal kept in place / not changed.

I get wind noise from mine above 50mph, always assumed normal but I could be wrong

I get wind noise from mine above 50mph, always assumed normal but I could be wrong
Really? Interesting...I get zero noise from mine at any speed. You'll see (sort of) from this image that the seal and the start of the roof are much closer than in the image that @Olly787 shared.

1668438708792.png

Agree that every brand will be different...but I would have expected the seal to be close(r) to the lid itself. I'm no expert btw ;) ...but I'm unsure why there'd be the need for such a gap if the seal and pop-top were fitted at the same time. My layman understanding of aerodynamics would lead me to think the air would flow over the top of the seal and then 'get at' the lip of the pop-top. Which is what I'm assuming is the cause of the noise here.

I’d check that the pop-top is flush/seated all the way round as sometimes if the canvas has trapped or you’ve got something in the roof space stopping it from dropping properly it can also cause wind noise.

I have had a similar set up as the OP

86E8C644-352E-4AE6-BA07-9D2D6F710152.jpeg

I glued some hard foam 2”x 3/4” in the roof channels under where the pop top sits. It made a huge difference and no I didn’t have any problem with water drainage as the bit under the pop top didn’t ever get very wet. Perhaps just check and clean out when using

Go and try to drive a few others for comparison. The rubber spoiler on mine is directly in front of the roof but I'm not sure how much it really contributes to keeping the noise down having had one come unstuck and driven for a 1000 odd miles without it. I do get a little bit of wind noise but a hatch cover (ie. covering the gap between the bed board and front of pop top 'cut out') helps keep it to a minimum and after a few minutes, we don't notice it even a much higher speeds. One thing I've learnt after a lot of years buying cars is if you've got any doubts just walk away, there's always another one down the road.

There’s always going to be a bit of noise from a pop top but that does look like a big gap so maybe causing more than normal. Mine (a Reimo roof) is much closer to the spoiler as shown below. Maybe yours is fully back on the mounts or has slipped back, but even then I doubt there’s that much adjustment. What does it look like at the back? Pic of mine for ref.

If everything is good with the van, and you’re happy with the roof except the spoiler, then maybe you could reposition it closer to the roof.

4B2E5E88-325D-4DBE-ACE7-FF4D5E1407EA.jpeg

B8914317-1FB8-424A-8092-9A93CAFD004B.jpeg

Mine is similar to ginkster's, just a small space between rubber and pop top shell.

Another discussion on the same subject.
IMO it’s going to be noisier than the original roof and it’s right next to your ears, add acoustic foam.

On a related subject, I get a lot of squeaking that seems to come from the pop-top rubber interface or strut. It's a 2018 T6 conversion with a West Dubs top. Any effective solutions out there? Lubes, spacers etc. Cheers.

@RedPete66. FWIW, I've never had any squeaks or creaks from my roof but I do check all the hinge bolts a couple of times a year and spray all the pivot point on the hinges / struts and rubber with silicone at the same time. I've idea whether that regime keeps the noises at bay or the roof just doesn't make any though. It might be asking the obvious but how tight are you doing the straps?

Silicon spray makes good sense, I'll try that for sure. Sounds more like either the rubber seal or the aluminium strips though and straps are pulled as tight as possible.

@RedPete66. Sorry if I'm being thicker than usual but what 'aluminium strips' are you talking about? FWIW, I keep a can of WD40 Silicone spray in the van - this stuff:
It's more expensive than a lot of others out there but it lasts a long time and to me it's worth the extra because the trigger mechanism make it easier to control and the little tube also folds neatly out of the way for storage and doesn't get lost.

On a related subject, I get a lot of squeaking that seems to come from the pop-top rubber interface or strut. It's a 2018 T6 conversion with a West Dubs top. Any effective solutions out there? Lubes, spacers etc. Cheers.
Try Gummi Pflege Stift for the rubber seals. Designed specifically for the job. Silicone impregnates the paint and causes issues if you ever need to respray the area.

Also, check the roof alignment and tightness of the hinge bolts. Mine had shifted slightly and was offset a bit at the front and creaked like mad. Straightened it up, tightened all the bolts and put some Gummi on the seal it is now silent.

@ginkster. Genuine question: Is that statement about silicone made out of technical knowledge or something that you have read? I ask as I did a bit of research on it years ago and also had a fairly recent conversation with a spray shop owner who has a good reputation and does a lot of work on classic cars (and is also a neighbour). As far as I can recall the consensus was that silicone was not an issue on clear coated auto paintwork unless it was very fresh or had to resprayed and wasn't prepared properly before the respray. Please don't think I'm trying to start an argument on this issue as I'm genuinely interested and have no professional expertise in the subject whatsoever!

@Ayjay it was something I’d read and heard about rather than through any specific technical knowledge. As you say it may be an issue only in certain circumstances rather than every time. I got put onto Gummi through owning a car with frameless front windows that needed to drop slightly for the door to open/close. Great idea until they froze in winter and jammed! Gummi solved it completely and is designed for automotive use.

Back