Pop Top Wind Noise

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
My pop top installation has been fitted with rubber gutters above the doors to stop rain running in. Great idea except at 70mph on the motorway there is a lot of wind roar now.
Thinking of fitting Reimo Multirails both sides to do the job of gutter and also for the awning.
Anyone have good or bad experience with wind roar with the multirail?

Fititng another Reimo Rail seems to be a rather expensive way of tackling the problem!

It’s a Jerba Campervans pop top, which I am very happy with so far. To be fair it’s only 2 days old.
Good to hear that the Multirail doesn’t sound to bad for wind noise.
My van is a twin slider so a rail each side sort of makes sense, agreed that it’s a pretty expensive mod.
upload_2020-2-3_7-25-7.jpeg

The way I read you first post was that the rain gutter in question was something to do with you pop top but looking at your photo, I now realise what you are talking about. That's a bit worrying from my perspective as I have actually got one of those 'stick on' rubber things to fix to my camper once the weather has warmed up a bit. I'll still try it but if it generates any extra wind noise, it will come straight off. I also wonder how well it would work if it only went across the top of the door (ie. the same as the Reimo Rail) rather than all the way down the pillar as well. All that said, are you sure that it's the rain gutter that's making the wind noise and not the pop top?

Yeah sorry it’s not quite clear in my original post. I have taken another photo that shows the rubber trim. It sticks out into the wind quite a bit. The pop top is sealed up and doesn’t look like a problem. Although it’s not going to win any beauty contests I wanted the practicality.
Also at 70mph I think the rubber will bend out into the wind making things worse.
upload_2020-2-3_10-41-2.jpeg

As pop tops go, yours looks pretty good. That's look like the same rubber rain gutter that I have got but yet to fit (bought from Reimo). As I say, I'm a bit concerned about the potential for wind noise now and will have to think about it more when the times comes to put it on.

I’ve had those rubber gutters pretty much from new - work very well and can’t say I’ve noticed any additional wind noise from them - that said I do have a Fiamma sat on one side of the van which would be the first thing I’d look at if wind noise was a problem.

My guess would be that the biggest culprit for your wind noise is the pop-top - easy to prove by carefully pulling the rubber gutter off to see if the noise goes away before investing in anything else.

I’ve got a Reimo easyfit and I’ve proven that there is significant noise from the area directly behind the roof wind deflector. I temporarily secured pillows in that area and it reduced the wind noise.
I plan to modify the current quilted cover with thick foam.
I don’t have any gutters / awning rails.

Hi. I have a similar 'Pop-Top', wind noise question i'm hoping someone can help with? I have one of the stick on Rubber wind/weather seals running across the front between the top of the windscreen and front of the pop top, however.....as you can see from the pics below, this stops short either side prior to the roof channels, which i'm guessing lends itself to increase noise and the potential for rain to blow in when traveling under the gap between this channel and the roof seal, that may lead to damp etc...

I've been looking everywhere to buy a rubber blanking seal/strip (OEM or other) to fill this channel and get rid of the hole each side currently under the pop top seal. Any ideas?

T6.1 roof channel 1.jpg T6.1 roof channel 2.jpg

If you stop up that hole you'll stop the water being able to drain out from that channel when the roof is up or any that gets under there while the roof is down. Open cell foam might allow water to drain but will get clogged with dust and dirt in the process.
Have you stuffed something in temporarily to see if it makes any difference to the noise levels?
If you block the channel there you'll likely get water running over the door and into the van every time you open the doors when it's raining.

Yes fair points Grim! Did think of putting a small hole at the base of whatever i use to allow sufficient drainage, without defeating the object of noise reduction. I'm going to bung up first as you say to check for any difference. I'll update once i know more

Yes fair points Grim! Did think of putting a small hole at the base of whatever i use to allow sufficient drainage, without defeating the object of noise reduction. I'm going to bung up first as you say to check for any difference. I'll update once i know more
I’d look to fix something to the poptop behind the rubber seal, so that when the roof was down, the gap is closed, but when the roof is up, the new seal goes up with the roof. If that makes sense.

I’d look to fix something to the poptop behind the rubber seal, so that when the roof was down, the gap is closed, but when the roof is up, the new seal goes up with the roof. If that makes sense.
Hadn't thought of that . sounds like a great idea. I'll update soon

Not just a pretty face ;)

I ended up putting 20mm of self adhesive foam under the headliner and making a custom fit 40mm foam panel that fits in the opening to the pop top.
Much quieter for not much expense or work. Easier to refit the head liner with two people would be my advice.

Back