Noise From Headliner ( Light Cables )

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Anyone else put up there head liner with those extra long clips that replace the originals ... but are impossible to remove once used ?
I hate them but I like the fact they hold up stuff !!
Just don’t like the permanence ..
anyhow I got a little frustrated with how long my van is taking to complete and I installed my head liner using these clips to hold up the two grey cover strips that separate the cab and the middle of the rear of the van . It’s tightly fitted so it’s up and not a lot I can do about it ... it looks good and functions ...
but the cables between my led lights are rattling with every bump in the road .. it’s horrible as I’ve spent so much time getting soundproofing and insulating etc etc only to cock things up right at the last minute and created my own personal hell on wheels ...
anyone either know how to get those clips out without destroying things or a way I can tame those pesky cables .. bearing in mind unless that ceiling comes down( probably causing damage )I’ve only got the 60mm holes of the led light fittings to work through

Last edited:
I hate rattles!!

I’ve just fitted a dashcam and the rear camera cable goes over the cab headlining. I managed to stick it down with gaffa tape to stop it tap tap tapping above my head (3 hand/finger cuts in the process!)

Would this be a fix via the light holes?

Ian

Anyone else put up there head liner with those extra long clips that replace the originals ... but are impossible to remove once used ?
I hate them but I like the fact they hold up stuff !!
Just don’t like the permanence ..
anyhow I got a little frustrated with how long my van is taking to complete and I installed my head liner using these clips to hold up the two grey cover strips that separate the cab and the middle of the rear of the van . It’s tightly fitted so it’s up and not a lot I can do about it ... it looks good and functions ...
but the cables between my led lights are rattling with every bump in the road .. it’s horrible as I’ve spent so much time getting soundproofing and insulating etc etc only to cock things up right at the last minute and created my own personal hell on wheels ...
anyone either know how to get those clips out without destroying things or a way I can tame those pesky cables .. bearing in mind unless that ceiling comes down( probably causing damage )I’ve only got the 60mm holes of the led light fittings to work through

I'm having the same issue! its noisy as hell since putting the ceiling panels up. Did you find a solution?

The solution is, new clips and tape to stop the wires rattling, ball ache but it's the only way...been there done that

I managed to re route and lift cables off the ply to stop any rattling also using automotive cable insulation wrapped around the cables illuminated the problem

The solution is, new clips and tape to stop the wires rattling, ball ache but it's the only way...been there done that
If I have to take those roof panels down again i think my head will explode! :laugh:
I managed to re route and lift cables off the ply to stop any rattling also using automotive cable insulation wrapped around the cables illuminated the problem
Nice one! May try pulling any excess cable through the holes and taping it tight but thanks for the tip about auto cable insulation! did you have to get the panels down or could you slip it on through the holes? can you link the stuff you used please? Thanks!

You grab the excess cable through the hole and put on the insulation . It makes a huge difference .

Does anyone know where you can buy fairly thin gauge foam from like that the door-speaker connector blocks are wrapped in (approx 5mm - like the stuff you get separating the tiers in a box of sockets) the only stuff I can find is about 100mm thick, or really dense like memory foam.

I ask as the cables below the ceiling cubby-hole rattle at certain frequencies.

Does anyone know where you can buy fairly thin gauge foam from like that the door-speaker connector blocks are wrapped in (approx 5mm - like the stuff you get separating the tiers in a box of sockets) the only stuff I can find is about 100mm thick, or really dense like memory foam.

I ask as the cables below the ceiling cubby-hole rattle at certain frequencies.
Search eBay for 'scrim foam' or Scrim Foam - Martrim Car Trimming Supplies or possibly find a local upholsterer. Another option may be a roll of sticky-back foam draft excluder if all you need to do is wrap a cable. For a more rigid foam, search eBay for 'neoprene foam'. If all you need is a small piece, a bit of online searching might bring you to a company that do free samples of scrim foam or neoprene.

Search eBay for 'scrim foam' or Scrim Foam - Martrim Car Trimming Supplies or possibly find a local upholsterer. Another option may be a roll of sticky-back foam draft excluder if all you need to do is wrap a cable. For a more rigid foam, search eBay for 'neoprene foam'. If all you need is a small piece, a bit of online searching might bring you to a company that do free samples of scrim foam or neoprene.
Bought some - will report back!

Back