Newbie question - how cold for up top?

hunta

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Forgive the newbie question. It's possibly one where we should just give it a go ourselves but nervous about the consequences if we get it wrong.

What kind of overnight temperature does it need to be to feel happy sticking the kids up in the pop top overnight with no heater? We can obviously layer up, take extra blankets etc.

We had a bad experience last year before we had the van when we camped and underestimated the cold, and the last thing I want is to put the little s0ds off for life having just shelled out on a van!

We’ve used ours down to about 4 degrees and not had the heating on. Kids are 8 and 11.

Forgive the newbie question. It's possibly one where we should just give it a go ourselves but nervous about the consequences if we get it wrong.

What kind of overnight temperature does it need to be to feel happy sticking the kids up in the pop top overnight with no heater? We can obviously layer up, take extra blankets etc.

We had a bad experience last year before we had the van when we camped and underestimated the cold, and the last thing I want is to put the little s0ds off for life having just shelled out on a van!
Get yourself an Aldi electric blanket, and a decent quilt/sleeping bag & they are good for anything that you’re going to encounter in the UK.

Get an insulating wrap for the pop top, will make a big difference.

Having the heater on downstairs doesn’t really make much of a difference to the temperature up top

Having the heater on downstairs doesn’t really make much of a difference to the temperature up top
Interesting, thats surprised me, i would have thought all the heat would end up there.

I guess it does eventually but it just can’t compete with a single later of canvas. The hole up into the roof when the bed is down is quite small. I went away with a mate who invited himself to sleep upstairs. It was -4 over night. He recond he was frozen all night. I was like toast. He got up in the night for a pee and couldn’t believe how warm it was downstairs. Served him right :cry:

I guess it does eventually but it just can’t compete with a single later of canvas. The hole up into the roof when the bed is down is quite small. I went away with a mate who invited himself to sleep upstairs. It was -4 over night. He recond he was frozen all night. I was like toast. He got up in the night for a pee and couldn’t believe how warm it was downstairs. Served him right :cry:
Yep makes sense, I forgot it would only be a small hole up to the roof.

Back