Newbie Qu: can I reattach a drive away awning on my own?

Greylag80

So, I’m thinking of being brave and taking the kids away on my tod.

How easily can I reattach our vela v drive away on my own?

Looked online, and it seems possible-

Thoughts?

There is only one way to find out, everybody's different, give it a go and refine as you go. Practice makes perfect.

I have just done ours on my own. Been doing it for years though.
Try a practice run.

Pete

I go away with the family all the time, yet its alway me doing the reattaching.... :D

You'll be fine! Just remember to mark the ground next to your wheels so you know where you need to reverse to and everything should line up fine. (Ps I'm assuming you have the kadar strip which makes this all possible?)

First time took me nearly an hour. Height and /or long arms help. ;)
Don't peg down too hard at the door of the van or rear, you'll need that flexibility to do the re-threading, Kador strip is essential. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve done my Kela solo with no problem with and without a kador but you only need to use that if you plan on driving the van away and then reattaching the awning. As someone else suggested, try to do a dry run somewhere.

I find slackening the guy lines on the opposite side helps when reattaching to give the awning an extra bit of movement
Then retention after attaching

I find slackening the guy lines on the opposite side helps when reattaching to give the awning an extra bit of movement
Then retention after attaching
Plus I find it a lot easier now the figure of 8 is all one length

Quick tip ….using awning stops …..stops the Kadar moving….and if possible use the longer fig 8 rather than the short lengths for easier fitting

IMG_2094.jpeg
ps …we did use awning tents but went for stand alone bell tent….:)

I have been solo camping for some time now and have got the hang of reattaching. Before departing I look at where the passenger wing mirror is in relation to the tent sitting in the drivers seat. I did buy a flag pole and found by accident that if I stake that in front of the wing mirror I am bang on. Only complication is if i chock the Van, in which case I go back to a visual on the wing mirror as the flag pole prevents me going forward to reverse onto the chocks.

Ps never knew the material strip was called a kados strip. Always learning

Back