Drive away awning am I doing it right?

Chris_t6.1

T6 Pro
I’m having some teething issue with my drive away awning using a kadar strip and want to make sure I’m doing it right and not missing something simple. I have the following issues:

1. Alignment: the kadar only gives about an extra inch of alignment meaning you need to line up pretty much perfectly to get the awning in and not been drooping/sagging. Is that really the design? If so is it not just easier not to use the kadar and one person just thread through the awning directly onto the rail whilst the other drives slowly forward.
2. The plastic figure 8 adapters seem pretty weak. 2 have already broken. Is there a stronger replacement, was thinking metal but worried about the paintwork.
3. Drips: as the figures of 8 can only be butted up to each other naturally water drips through. Is there a solution to stop this? When not using the drive away adapter there isn’t any leakage.

Any help much appreciated.

3. You can get a one piece fig8 strip. To stop the dripping from the joins.

I got on a while back.

But it's a pain in the butt to transport as it's 3meters long.

Last edited:

Personally, I setup the drive away awning first...

Then after the fact line the Van up after, it might take a few goes, but you will get they on the end.

Then attach the fig 8.

I look at the fig 8 as sacrificial parts... as a buffer between the metal c rail on the Van, and the drive away awning..... so any issues the cheapest part will fail.

As for a saying tunnel section..... to stop water , rain pooling..

I've started putting up a king pole with a cap on top to push up the middle of the tunnel so that rain runs off.

As for a saying tunnel section..... to stop water , rain pooling..

I've started putting up a king pole with a cap on top to push up the middle of the tunnel so that rain runs off.
There's a thread about where folks used some tarp grips and spare guylines/bungie to form a dip at the edge of the tunnel to tighten it and be a drain.

Post in thread 'Vango Galli 3 - Water pooling on tunnel' Vango Galli 3 - Water pooling on tunnel

I’m having some teething issue with my drive away awning using a kadar strip and want to make sure I’m doing it right and not missing something simple. I have the following issues:

1. Alignment: the kadar only gives about an extra inch of alignment meaning you need to line up pretty much perfectly to get the awning in and not been drooping/sagging. Is that really the design? If so is it not just easier not to use the kadar and one person just thread through the awning directly onto the rail whilst the other drives slowly forward.
2. The plastic figure 8 adapters seem pretty weak. 2 have already broken. Is there a stronger replacement, was thinking metal but worried about the paintwork.
3. Drips: as the figures of 8 can only be butted up to each other naturally water drips through. Is there a solution to stop this? When not using the drive away adapter there isn’t any leakage.

Any help much appreciated.
I pitch the awning pulling it from the van and tensioning using the pegs and guys to ensure a nice tight tunnel ( :p ). Then when I want to move I put an old webbing guy line along the ground an inch or so from the drivers side wheel (easier to see it if it’s an inch away plus you can get the pegs in without damaging the wheel!), pegging it in at the centre of each wheel. Then when parking up you align the van to the guy line on the ground not the awning, remove the tension from all the guy lines, connect up and retension.

I’ve put loads of tension on the tunnel and never broken the figure of 8 poles, if you loosen the guys and have one person feeding the awning and one holding aligned it should be ok.

I don’t see how not using the kador would help as you would still have the same issue lining it up but if you get it wrong when feeding it on directly you will just damage the awning.

All of what @cgtmiles said is what we do plus use a 2.4mt figure of 8 channel.
To make life a bit easier getting the kador strip in I've put 2 small eyelets in it and a loop of para-cord so you can pull it along with one finger and also agree you can't beat a nice tight tunnel;)

Back