How to use a drive away awning?

@TrevorK. Thanks for that, IIRC the Faros is a smaller than my Kela but given your comments, I might well get one the next time I'm driving past a Go Outdoors.

@MLR. Good idea using the zip ties. When you find a way to stop the rail leaking, please let us all know.
@TrevorK. That looks brilliant if it's big enough - what awning are you using its with please?
@Ayjay I'm thinking something like this might work. This is just a mock up with gaffer tape but if it works then I'll try to source some rubberised material in a similar colour to the figure of 8.866DC1F5-A7C6-4728-B6D7-2E099F355ACD.jpeg

695C4276-97AA-45A8-A9AE-F82E8F79B357.jpeg

@MLR. TBH, I'd stay with the gaffer tape (or a clear waterproof tape like 3M) if it worked and I wish you luck with it. That said, I had the same idea but then threw it out on the basis the rain water would simply flow down the upper side of the kador strip into the figure 8 and out of the bottom of it. Let us know how you get on.

Reactions: MLR
i have found a 3m long figure of 8 and its great. easy to store in the lwb - should be fine in a swb too no?

Reactions: MLR
i have found a 3m long figure of 8 and its great. easy to store in the lwb - should be fine in a swb too no?
I used the long figure of 8 last weekend and worked a treat as no leakage over the door when raining. I have a SWB Kombi and slid it down the passenger side of the van to carry. It did pass thru to the side of the front passenger seat so guess it could get damaged if you stepped on it.

We're using a 2.4M length of Figure 8 as I type (for the first time) BUT the weather has been good thus far and not even a sign of rain. Lets hope it stays like it.

That's good that the longer section worked well. I haven't had a chance to test my modifications yet as covid cancelled our Easter getaway. We have all recovered now so hopefully we will manage to make another trip soon.

The awnings are universal fit, for a range of vehicles and a range of heights. Our “tunnel” is a bit loose, and the sliding door catches it when open, but you just have to be careful.

Pete
Re: this comment and other similar ones about having to be careful...

It's reassurring to hear that others are struggling too and it isn't just us and our rubbish pitching!

But...what about when you're 'closing up for the night' and shutting the sliding door from the inside?

We're finding it impossible at times to close the door without the awning tunnel catching. It's worse now that we've had a rail fitted to our van, ironically it was a better fit when we had to use those pesky straps!

Our only solution is for one of us (not me!) to close the sliding door from the outside and then get back in through the driver's door...not ideal

Do other people resort to this?

S.

Re: this comment and other similar ones about having to be careful...

It's reassurring to hear that others are struggling too and it isn't just us and our rubbish pitching!

But...what about when you're 'closing up for the night' and shutting the sliding door from the inside?

We're finding it impossible at times to close the door without the awning tunnel catching. It's worse now that we've had a rail fitted to our van, ironically it was a better fit when we had to use those pesky straps!

Our only solution is for one of us (not me!) to close the sliding door from the outside and then get back in through the driver's door...not ideal

Do other people resort to this?

S.
We tend to reach out and hold the awning tunnel up from the inside of the van while we slide the door closed. Once the door gets far enough forward it slips under the edge of the kador strip and lets the door close fully.

I have I tailgate awning that just links to the rear with some cunning guy arrangements. I like to have a side awning out too but can’t have the extra height of a fixed roller type. So I’ve fixed a Reimo Multirail between the bottom of the pop top and the top of the windows. Then I just slide the beading of the awning which is a Palm Beech type, along the channel of the Multirail. I can, with assistance to help it slide out, drive away and with help again to feed it back in, return to it still erected. Stock picture. Not my van.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 00.42.59.png

We tend to reach out and hold the awning tunnel up from the inside of the van while we slide the door closed. Once the door gets far enough forward it slips under the edge of the kador strip and lets the door close fully.
That used to work when we had to use straps but it all just hangs too low now!

I have I tailgate awning that just links to the rear with some cunning guy arrangements. I like to have a side awning out too but can’t have the extra height of a fixed roller type. So I’ve fixed a Reimo Multirail between the bottom of the pop top and the top of the windows. Then I just slide the beading of the awning which is a Palm Beech type, along the channel of the Multirail. I can, with assistance to help it slide out, drive away and with help again to feed it back in, return to it still erected. Stock picture. Not my van.

View attachment 167089
Is a Reimo one of those that can accommodate a pull out canopy?

We just have a rail to attach an awning.

I should have insisted on a Fiamma rail n awning, when we had our conversion, but I'd already won too many arguments! I feel that those rails may be useful in pulling out the awning connection point just that little bit further.

Is a Reimo one of those that can accommodate a pull out canopy?

We just have a rail to attach an awning.

I should have insisted on a Fiamma rail n awning, when we had our conversion, but I'd already won too many arguments! I feel that those rails may be useful in pulling out the awning connection point just that little bit further.
The Palm Beech awning just has rope piping along the attachment side. I guess it’s meant for caravans as I believe older ones had a channel built on to the side. The Reimo Multirail, which cost an arm and a leg, not only works as a very efficient rain water gutter but the channel is perfect for this type of awning attachment. It’s also taut enough to not be a problem when using the sliding door.

Screenshot 2022-07-30 at 11.20.24.png

Ah right...so is that to stop the figure of 8 thingy from drooping down and therefore catching on the door?
Yep, that's the plan. It lifts it up just enough to keep it away from the top of the sliding door. Here's my other attempt that velcros onto the straps on the awning

ABE32DE0-1C3C-4107-B2AB-B5D6B8AF08AB.jpeg

A5D5895F-D788-41D6-854C-8AFE5AF12A65.jpeg

That looks like a good idea! Will look into something next time we’re setup. Our door runs on the tunnel when opening, I’m more worried about ripping or rubbing the paint away though TBH.
That's my concern too, either damaging the door paintwork or ripping the awning

Yep, that's the plan. It lifts it up just enough to keep it away from the top of the sliding door. Here's my other attempt that velcros onto the straps on the awning

View attachment 167146

View attachment 167147
Looks like a good idea...we've just ripped our awning (a Khyam that we've had for a few years so didn't feel too bad about it...and then the whole flippin awning somehow twisted itself up somewhere between us packing it away and then unpacking it when we got home yesterday. Time for a new awning we've decided).

Why can't the awning manufacturers sort out this, seemingly, very common problem???

Last edited:
You need to remember that manufacturer’s have ideal environments to test and set up…..they don’t have wind issues that caused ours to rub the paint…uneven ground doesn’t help …so in the end we only use a canopy on the van and went with a stand alone Tent…
there are other devices that help stop the Kador from moving in the rail and keep it true….D9F288C1-779A-466B-A1B8-29AFFDD630A6.jpeg

but the guys that have the wind out awnings have the best ideas…you simply attach one to the other and tention

Besides it’s great entertainment to watch others setting up……don’t forget we’ve all been there …:thumbsup:

Back