Newbie - Looking At Buying A Kombi

evanglis

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the transporters and I'm about to buy a van from a local garage. I'm hoping someone can explain to me the adblue situation on the Transporters.

I have a 2016 touareg with adblue so I now how it works. I've took a T6 T30 kombi for a testdrive at the weekend, I had a good look around it.
I noticed below the diesel nozzle, it was rubbed off (No adblue filler cap) So my question is :- Does this van have an adblue tank? or is it somewhere else.

Cheers
Evs.

45297288.jpg

It's a Diesel, and just the pre adblue version Euro5 engine.

From memory, I think the Euro6 started late 2016 but could be wrong.

So the van is a 5.1. can u guys confirm that the styling is factory, or it that to hard to tell?
If that’s a T5.1, then it’s had a T6 front end transplant.

The age would indicate it’s a T6 (or a late-registration T5 - do they still allow that?).

Assuming it is a T6, then the sliding windows look genuine, but the gloss black front grilles, the Sportline splitter and the lower gloss-black splitter are additions. As are the wheels, gloss mirror caps and likely the side-bars and roof-bars.

The front splitter and roof-bars could have been factory spec’d, but most seem to be additions later on in life.
As long as the wheels and tyres are load-rated, the bolts for the roof-bars have been sealed and the splitters are plastic and not fibreglass (and the gloss paintwork is good) then you’re fine - I’m my opinion, anyway.

I have a 2016 t6 without adblue, it's the 180bhp euro 5 engine. Fine for me but might cost you more in London low emission zones if that's a consideration for you?.. (euro 6 is the cleaner engine with adblue)

I have a 2016 t6 without adblue, it's the 180bhp euro 5 engine. Fine for me but might cost you more in London low emission zones if that's a consideration for you?.. (euro 6 is the cleaner engine with adblue)
Thanks Buchanan, London isn't an issue, from NE england (Visited london once in the 90's - that was enough)

So the van is a 5.1. can u guys confirm that the styling is factory, or it that to hard to tell?

No - don't equate T5 and T6 with Euro5 and Euro6. The first is the model, the second is the engine type (defined by European emissions standards).

A T5 will always be Euro5 (or lower Euro standard) (unless someone wants to tell I am wrong).

A T6 could be Euro5 or Euro6. Euro6 came after Euro5.

Pete

No - don't equate T5 and T6 with Euro5 and Euro6. The first is the model, the second is the engine type (defined by European emissions standards).

A T5 will always be Euro5 (or lower Euro standard) (unless someone wants to tell I am wrong).

A T6 could be Euro5 or Euro6. Euro6 came after Euro5.

Pete
Hi Pete, So what everyone is saying that its an early T6 with a euro 5.1 engine. Does the styling of the van match T6 standards? trying to figure out if its been modified by factory or by 1st owner for insurance purposes and I'm very new to the world of Vans. any help appreciated.

Evs.

Hi Pete, So what everyone is saying that its an early T6 with a euro 5.1 engine. Does the styling of the van match T6 standards? trying to figure out if its been modified by factory or by 1st owner for insurance purposes and I'm very new to the world of Vans. any help appreciated.

Evs.

Yes, definitely a T6, with a Euro5 engine (like mine).

I think Ads_Essex has summarised any modifications above very well. Basically T5's and T6's get modified, and this one has been. Not massively though.
As the wheels are after market, then their load rating needs checking (and the tyres). The garage should be able to do that for you, but read a few threads on here about load rating, and also perhaps ask the question in the relevant forum section what wheels those are - someone will know.

The van looks fine as a T6, so you also need to focus on mileage, service history, does it drive OK etc.

Pete

Cheers Pete,
Took it for a quick spin at the weekend. 31k miles, dsg gearbox oil service just done. very clean, just stumped me with no adblue cap.
The van is only going to get used to carrier my mountain bikes and the occasional weekend tenting. I've no plans todo a conversion, maybe throw a bed in it at the most.
Do you know if these models have start/stop as standard?

wheels are: 20" - tyres are : 275/40/zr20 (Cannot see brand)

Last edited:
Back