Newbie advice please

Avon1330

Hello all

I am about to enter the Transporter ‘Club’ and have decided to reinfuish my car in favour of a van and rhe transporter seems to be the go-to van.

The main reason for doing so is for mountain biking. Simply, we would like to be able to load our bikes into the van and get away from the faff of Thule towbar carriers plus keeping all our kit in it

We don’t want to sleep in it so not interested in a camper. We don’t need any more than the front seats so a Kombi won’t be required, and it needs to be SWB

On my wish list would be:- DSG, sat nav, LED lights, tailgate, air con, grey, spoiler etc

What would be the best engine? I hear a 204 is the one to have?

Ideally, I would like one a year old and have a budget of £40k

Can the forum offer any other recommendations?

Thanks

There isnt really a 'best engine' however i would probably only considered the 150 or 204, the 102 was just abit sluggish and was only a 5 speed box (appreciate you want DSG so doesnt matter.) the 204 will have loads of go but will be more expensive to buy and will be more thirsty. I have a 150 SWB combi and it has plenty of go when you need it, if you ever wanted more go you could get a remap done. If you have a panel van with only bikes in the back 150 will be plenty

Get twin seats (captains seats) as they are much better for the passenger, the bench can be abit uncomfortable on long journeys. To swap a bench at a later date will probably set you back about £900 and the passenger singles are hard to come by.

Definitely recommend the LED headlights they are brilliant. I have the standard ones and they are poor to say the least.

For me a Tailgate is also desirable as it acts as a rain cover and easier to walk round the van with the door open also in my opinion it looks much better.

Reactions: Ozi
Hi, depending on the precise style you are after, you might like to look at a panel van from Leighton Vans. I purchased my 150 Kombi from them and was impressed by their service and their product is attractive. They retro-fitted LED headlights to mine.

Last edited:
There isnt really a 'best engine' however i would probably only considered the 150 or 204, the 102 was just abit sluggish and was only a 5 speed box (appreciate you want DSG so doesnt matter.) the 204 will have loads of go but will be more expensive to buy and will be more thirsty. I have a 150 SWB combi and it has plenty of go when you need it, if you ever wanted more go you could get a remap done. If you have a panel van with only bikes in the back 150 will be plenty

Get twin seats (captains seats) as they are much better for the passenger, the bench can be abit uncomfortable on long journeys. To swap a bench at a later date will probably set you back about £900 and the passenger singles are hard to come by.

Definitely recommend the LED headlights they are brilliant. I have the standard ones and they are poor to say the least.

For me a Tailgate is also desirable as it acts as a rain cover and easier to walk round the van with the door open also in my opinion it looks much better.
That’s very sound advice and I’d agree completely.

power latching of the side door is a must. Not power closing but power latching Or the door is nigh impossible to close Because of the air pressure caught in the van.

Are you looking at ordering a new one ? If so, you maybe in for a shock/long wait.

Arh! I see you are looking for second hand. Well, the current prices will still shock you.

The 102 has the best MPG if that's of any concern.

There will still be a bit of faff fitting your mountain bikes inside of a panel van. Plus you will need to buy an internal bike rack of some description and then a cover to stop the inside of the van getting muddy etc.

When you spend 20k upwards there is a natural reluctance to start throwing muddy bikes in the back.

When looking for my van I found the best deals on the VW Commercial Used Website. I'd avoid the independent dealers that stick Sportline spoilers on 100k Startline vans. A standard panel van looks and drives a bit rubbish too. So consider your 40k as a down payment with a few more £££ to spend getting the van how you want it.

I'd really recommend hiring one for a week to see how you get on. At the end of the day they are still a van and drive like one no matter how much you spend or pretend otherwise.

You

There will still be a bit of faff fitting your mountain bikes inside of a panel van. Plus you will need to buy an internal bike rack of some description and then a cover to stop the inside of the van getting muddy etc.

When you spend 20k upwards there is a natural reluctance to start throwing muddy bikes in the back.

When looking for my van I found the best deals on the VW Commercial Used Website. I'd avoid the independent dealers that stick Sportline spoilers on 100k Startline vans. A standard panel van looks and drives a bit rubbish too. So consider your 40k as a down payment with a few more £££ to spend getting the van how you want it.

I'd really recommend hiring one for a week to see how you get on. At the end of the day they are still a van and drive like one no matter how much you spend or pretend otherwise.

You are absolutely right. I am under no illusion that the van will replace my car but to do away with the faff of towbar cycle racks is well worth it. I actually bought a 195bhp DSG 6.1 which only has a few thousand miles on the clock. At the same time as buying this, I have ordered a Sportline which will appear some time next Summer. The dealer has given me a buy back option on the used van so all being well a years van motoring won’t cost me too much

Back