New Van With Dealer As First Owner??

Bobbych

T6.1, Highline 150 DSG in conversion
T6 Pro
I am looking to buy a brand new T6.1 Panel Van and convert it to a Camper myself. I plan to try and sell it afterwards however if it will not sell (I understnd why it may not sell) I will keep it for many years. I am an aircraft engineer, qualified plumer and electrician. I also have great carpentry skills. So im expecting to do a decent job. My query is that there is a well known online dealer who buys vans in bulk and pre regiters them so whn I get the van I will be the 2nd owner. I do not mind that but I was wondering what potential buyers would think down the line? would it put buyers off.

I buy pre Reg all the time if I can. Not had a problem selling, I think consumers are well aware that it’s just a finance wheeze.

problems arise though if you had 4 or 5 owners ...

First thing to consider is price. Is the price of the 'nearly new' van sufficiently far away enough from that of a brand new model? Because for the sake of a couple or three grand you may be able top get into a brand new one.

The main problem you'll face is the fact the the next owner would be the 3rd in the log book. That's fine if the vehicle is around 10 years of age but, if you sell it after a couple of years it isn't going to be as desirable on the used market as a one owner vehicle and the used price would reflect that. It wouldn't be a massive amount, up to a grand maybe, but it would take longer to sell as a result. Also consider the price differential of a T6 and T6.1 registered at the same time. It's likely that you've been quoted for the T6 (I'm assuming so) and this means that used values will take a hit when the two models appear on the used market for the first time. Buyers will always gravitate towards the newer model.

Like I said, make sure the price is far away enough from the cost of a new model. If there isn't a big enough value-for-money gap, hang out for a new one. Also, go and get a quote for a new one, rather than just looking at the list price (there's always a discount available). That way you'll be able to get a better sense of the value-for-money this current dealer is offering you.

I used to buy van like this but the v5 was on retention for 6 months so you didn’t have it . After that it would be sent to you in your name . Ok if you are keeping it for more than 6 months. If it like this ask who’s is the first owner as it could be a company or fleet name that could drop the price . If it is put in your name at purchase then you will be fine .

Thanks for all the replies. It is Definitely a 6.1 150 Highline DSG with a host of options. 23% discount due to bulk purchasing power of the company. The first register keeper in the company and the V5 is held for 11 months. If I was intending to definitely keep it this would not be an issue. Much to think about.

Thanks for all the replies. It is Definitely a 6.1 150 Highline DSG with a host of options. 23% discount due to bulk purchasing power of the company. The first register keeper in the company and the V5 is held for 11 months. If I was intending to definitely keep it this would not be an issue. Much to think about.

How does them retaining the v5 for 11 months work with you taxing the vehicle, thought ved was now non transferable after sale and new purchaser has to tax from date of purchase.

I’d be careful - the seller is the legal owner until the 11 months is up. I’d be uncomfortable parting with 20+ big ones without having legal ownership.

Are you able to lease it for 11 months and knock the payments off the balance?

It will be a cash purchase. But I have decided to avoid it. As I am hoping to sell it as soon as conversion is complete I cant wait 11 months and dont want the extra owner. Thanks for all your comments. It has helped me make my mind up.

Back