New T6 owner with a few questions

Kevstar

I picked up a T6 T32 Kombi 204 DSG on Saturday which is my first Transporter. The forum was really useful to help understand all the options through the search process, but now I have the van I have a few questions:

Brakes - The van appears to have red brembo calipers, are these standard, an option or aftermarket? What would be the go to pads for these?

Sound deadening and insulation - I've had a look behind the side and tailgate panels and trying to understand what has been done. The side looks to have some relatively thin black panels and what appears to be loose carpet underlay. The tailgate has a small area covered but nothing else. It feels like I could definitely improve the sound deadening, what are the best options here or am I not going to see benefit over what is there? I may occasionally sleep in the van but I'm more focused on noise than insulation.

Thanks
Kev

20210322_152824.jpg

20210321_162801.jpg

20210323_175634.jpg

Hi @Kevstar .... Sorry to give the bad news ..your red brakes look like standard big brakes that come with large engines and have a Brembo transfer stuck on ....regarding sound/insulation lots of good advice ..just use the search bar ...but a lots of members have brought stuff from the Sound deadening company :)

I picked up a T6 T32 Kombi 204 DSG on Saturday which is my first Transporter. The forum was really useful to help understand all the options through the search process, but now I have the van I have a few questions:

Brakes - The van appears to have red brembo calipers, are these standard, an option or aftermarket? What would be the go to pads for these?

Sound deadening and insulation - I've had a look behind the side and tailgate panels and trying to understand what has been done. The side looks to have some relatively thin black panels and what appears to be loose carpet underlay. The tailgate has a small area covered but nothing else. It feels like I could definitely improve the sound deadening, what are the best options here or am I not going to see benefit over what is there? I may occasionally sleep in the van but I'm more focused on noise than insulation.

Thanks
Kev

View attachment 109652

View attachment 109653

View attachment 109654
Ps ... I did my own sound deadening ( I was a total novice )

99F275E1-1482-4CD3-B7F7-67FBA531B61E.jpeg48197FF8-24FB-46C2-9BBC-47855EC5D67C.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum Kev - you've most certainly come to the right place to ask a few questions...

As @VanDamMan has said, those are the standard 17" chassis big brakes that take a 340mm disc. (Vw part number W7E0 615 301 F @ £101.85/1)
They have been painted red from standard and then a Brembo sticker has been applied.

These are what they look like without the sticker:

1616529531244.png

Standard Vw pads have a part number of W7E0 698 151 C and are £121.15 for the set, but Brembo pads are available from Euro Car Parts (Product code 10144186A) @ £107.99, with a 45% discount if you use the code MID60

@VanDamMan uses EBC yellowstuff pads and recommends them, but he has painted his calipers yellow as well!!

Enjoy the T6 journey - but I hope you have deep pockets, as there are guys on here who will advise on what you need to spend your money on with the next "must have" accessory!!

Thanks for the response, my immediate thought on the brakes was that they were painted and a sticker as I hadn't seen them on others but it doesn't look\feel like a transfer.

That looks like a tidy job :) I've looked through some of the advice but was more looking to understanding what I have and how much of improvement I'm likely to see. I hadn't come across that company, thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Kev - you've most certainly come to the right place to ask a few questions...

As @VanDamMan has said, those are the standard 17" chassis big brakes that take a 340mm disc. (Vw part number W7E0 615 301 F @ £101.85/1)
They have been painted red from standard and then a Brembo sticker has been applied.

View attachment 109656

Standard Vw pads have a part number of W7E0 698 151 C and are £121.15 for the set, but Brembo pads are available from Euro Car Parts (Product code 10144186A) @ £107.99, with a 45% discount if you use the code MID60

@VanDamMan uses EBC yellowstuff pads and recommends them, but he has painted his calipers yellow as well!!

Enjoy the T6 journey - but I hope you have deep pockets, as there are guys on here who will advise on what you need to spend your money on with the next "must have" accessory!!

Yellow!!!

Nothing wrong with yellow :laugh::laugh::laugh:

42940A03-67B4-4007-95B0-20EE3D7CF21D.jpeg

View attachment 109656

Brilliant, that's really helpful. I wouldn't say I was blown away with the brakes so I will try a different pad.

I hear you on the deep pockets, I've already invested in the bloxpod bike mount, INKA waterproof covers and it's having a ghost immobiliser fit this week. On the flip side I do plan to have for a long time and its exciting being able to make the van fit lifestyle.

Welcome! your brakes look nice than mine, we have the same but ours aren't painted. in terms of insulation and sound deadening, it looks like you could add quite a bit more. if you remove all the panels, start with some sound deadening sheets like this: Sound deadening and then once thats on go with some thermoliner: Thermoliner, next would be some insulation you can buy the dodo stuff but im using the dial version from B&Q: DODO or B&Q Insulation. The dodo has the advantage of being able to get some thinner stuff which is better for the top half of the van, final part is some bubble insulation and silver tape to stick it down. Silver Tape & Foil.

There are plenty of posts and guides on here and Youtube, its all easy to do!

Back