New strut top mount bearing assemblies and drop links - Are genuine VW ones best?

qwertyuiop7

Fitting some new coilovers to the camper, going to replace the drop links and the strut top mount bearing assembly at the same time. For the top mounts is it best to just replace them with the genuine Volkswagen ones as fitted from new? Or are some of the 'uprated' ones from either Bilstein or Meyle a better bet?
Also do I need to replace all three bits of the top mount (bearing, rubber and cast mounting plate) or am I okay just doing the rubbers and the bearings as i can't see how the cast mounting plate can wear out ? or can it?
Same for drop links, are VW's best on a 60mm lowered van or are there better options?

Cost isn't really an issue for either I just want to fit the best and fit them once, but saying that i don't want to waste cash on bits i dont really need.

Thanks for your help

I went with Meyle HD for both.
Haven't done enough miles to prove whether they are any 'better'.

Fitting some new coilovers to the camper, going to replace the drop links and the strut top mount bearing assembly at the same time. For the top mounts is it best to just replace them with the genuine Volkswagen ones as fitted from new? Or are some of the 'uprated' ones from either Bilstein or Meyle a better bet?
Also do I need to replace all three bits of the top mount (bearing, rubber and cast mounting plate) or am I okay just doing the rubbers and the bearings as i can't see how the cast mounting plate can wear out ? or can it?
Same for drop links, are VW's best on a 60mm lowered van or are there better options?

Cost isn't really an issue for either I just want to fit the best and fit them once, but saying that i don't want to waste cash on bits i dont really need.

Thanks for your help
The only reason to replace the ally plate is if you have a T5 or T5.1. VW don’t supply these top bearings any more. , they supply the bearing, top mount, and plate as a T6 conversion , the bearing is much bigger and stronger. , we only use the genuine parts from VW. As they last better in our Opinion get some new rear spring rubbers you will need them , while you are busy do the drop links they are troublesome

Back