Incorrect front suspension installation?

Lux

VIP Member
Hi all,

Finally got my new shocks/struts and lifted springs installed. As the old strut mount bearings were on the way out and the front control arm bushes were stuffed they also got replaced.

However when I picked up the van the tech told me that one of the new bearings on the DHS had a bit of noise so it may have been faulty. As I supplied all the gear and the set I got wasn't a name brand or anything I thought that's ok I'll get a refund/replacement and sort it. Was half hour after closing time for the shop and I was chuffed it was done so headed off.

On the drive home the noise was a bit more of a ping than the original noise on the old bearings and pretty loud. Got home thought this is definitely not right, I've had a look at the top of the springs and it looks to me they have forgotten to reinstall the 'disc/plate' that goes between the bearing and the strut mount.

Just wanted to confirm with any members if this is the case before I head there in the morning.

IMG_20231218_200539879_AE~2.jpg

IMG_20231218_203114094_MF_PORTRAIT~3.jpg

Screenshot_20231218-204947~2.png

Do not drive that.
If it looks like I think it is then parts of the actual bearing assembly are missing.
@CRS Performance
@BognorMotors
Hopefully the above can confirm at the very least.
Yeh bit of a surprise, I watched a few YouTube installs and looks like they've done a decent job of not doing it properly. Looks like without that plate in there its only the rubber disc bearing and the rubber cone stopping it from shooting through.
Will find the pages from the workshop manual and print them for the installer, won't be a huge fix aslong as the new bearings aren't rooted now.
But it is a 45 minute drive away.

Last edited:
I still wouldn't drive it!
It's not designed to be loaded that way and the bearing probably isn't functioning with the missing plate.
The pings could well be the coils clicking around as they are twisted and the seat slips.
I would explain all of this to the garage and have them recover the van.

Do not drive that.
If it looks like I think it is then parts of the actual bearing assembly are missing.
@CRS Performance
@BognorMotors
Hopefully the above can confirm at the very least.
The top mounts are upside down , cant work like that and the bump stops are missing , that is a disaster if you hit a bad pot hole .

I dont think they took too much notice when dismantling the car or they left their white stick at home ??

I still wouldn't drive it!
It's not designed to be loaded that way and the bearing probably isn't functioning with the missing plate.
The pings could well be the coils clicking around as they are twisted and the seat slips.
I would explain all of this to the garage and have them recover the van.
It will make horrible noises and could damage the top bearings , but you could drive it to get it rectified . .

Back