New steels, paint or powder coat?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Got some new steel wheels coming, was going to run them as is but think I may go for a colour change. These are brand new so won't need much work.
So what's the general consensus on what is the best coating, paint or powder coat. How durable will paint be?
Both are coming in at a similar price locally. These are supposed to be a cheapish (if there is such a thing) set of wheels so not looking to get too carried away....

The original paint is a bit thin, so I would powder coat.

I had ours powered coated.

IMG_3656.jpegIMG_3829.jpeg

Last edited:
As mentioned original paint isn't great, I had mine powdercoated at £50 a wheel and the finish is great.

I paid £25 a wheel for powdercoat in Birmingham. Tyre removal / refitting is a tenner more.

Powdercoat is better but is a lot harder so can chip.

Ian

What is it about the T32 steels - they just look so good and if you accidentally curb one they are readily and cheaply available.

Ian

A lot of fans of powder coating! I have a set I hope to “mess around” with over the Xmas break. I will paint as colour changes are easier and cheaper! If I like a colour, I might go down the powder coating route!

There's a set of 17 s on Facebook marketplace with delivery mileage tyre's for £250 I think which is decent Manchester area I,LL let you guys know . .

There's a set of 17 s on Facebook marketplace with delivery mileage tyre's for £250 I think which is decent Manchester area I,LL let you guys know . .
Argh! Just bought a used/scratched bare set for £100

Cheap that for gp's with new tyres. Buy em,sell the tyres and get jamie to band em..winner winner chicken dinner.

• Love
Reactions: JOG
Place in Sandwell West Mids has a few sets on Gumtree, and a lot of stock! Slightly over priced for rims IMHO but look mint condition. NTDWM!

9F09495D-2BB0-487D-A444-84E99AFB6218.png

D09E79C4-4377-4628-93F3-13FAE263C238.png

Powder coat seems to be the winner then :)
Was thinking paint may be easier to change colour and not prone to chipping?
Just need to decide on colour. Love the chrome on my GP's but thinking may get these done darker.
Anyone matched their sidebars to the same colour as their wheels? Or a bit naff?

:thumbsup:

Reactions: JOG
Back