Steels and Rust

Paynewright

VIP Member
T6 Legend
It seems that all steels suffer from rust eventually, either on the face or emanating from the joint between the centre and rim, which are two parts welded together.

Just wondering if there is any solution (other than buying alloys!) ?

Current thoughts….

Would powder coating from new help? The OEM finish seems to be painted?

Seal the join gap inside and out?

Is a particular colour better at hiding the onset eg bronze?

I know there are many steel fans on here so wondered what you approach is?

I kinda regret selling my winter 17s now - doh!

Ian

Would powder coating from new help? The OEM finish seems to be painted?
I suspect that the factory preparation from new isn’t perfect before painting, it’s a commercial vehicle.
With the expense of sand blasting and powder coating only for the tyre fitter to damage the powder coating you may as well buy some secondhand alloys with tyres for less than the price of a set of tyres.
There is always a market for individual steels as spare wheels.

I've recently considered some steels for Winter. Regardless of used or new, I'd have them acid dipped and powder coated for far better durability before new tyres being fitted. I've had many alloys powdercoated and the tyre fitter will need to be pretty hamfisted to damage the finish. But I always politely call out the unmarked new finish when anyone is fitting tyres, so as any damage is their issue and not mine.

Also, City Wheel Refurbishment in Birmingham are £35 per wheel for steels (£30 for alloys up to 18”) cash only!

I’ve also noticed that the punched holes have a sharpish edge so the paint is thin and prone to rusting.

For refurbing I was thinking of using a de-burring tool to give them a chamfer?

Also, any recommendations for powder coaters - while City WR in brum are good value for the finish they are high volume whereas I want someone with attention to detail. I.e. get some good coverage in the join between rim and centre.

Also, City Wheel Refurbishment in Birmingham are £35 per wheel for steels (£30 for alloys up to 18”) cash only!
Fxxk sake Ian I think I better send you my Amarok steels down. It’s a bit more expensive up my Area.think it’s £60 a wheel.

Back