New Paint has bubbled

Jimmy007

T6 Pro
I recently had new front and rear bumpers colour coded on my van, I bought them from Vw and they're factory-primed, they were painted about three weeks ago, but I’ve noticed a few tiny bubbles appearing only on the flat part of the bumper where the bottom of the door line is, it was done by a well-known paint shop, anyone know why this could happen, about two weeks after it was painted it went in to have a small part inside the barn doors Colour coded the only thing we can think is the oven has caused it? Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently had new front and rear bumpers colour coded on my van, I bought them from Vw and there factory primed, they been painted about three weeks ago, but I’ve noticed a few tiny bubbles appearing only on the flat part of bumper where bottom of the door line is, it was done by a well known paint shop, anyone know why this could happen, about two weeks after it was painted it went in to have a small part inside the barn doors Colour coded the only thing we can think is the oven has caused it? Cheers
I had this on a plastic part I had sprayed. I asked @RattyMcClelland and he said it could be paint moisture trapped when paint wasn't dried properly before it was was lacquered over. A respray sorted it for me.

I recently had new front and rear bumpers colour coded on my van, I bought them from Vw and there factory primed, they been painted about three weeks ago, but I’ve noticed a few tiny bubbles appearing only on the flat part of bumper where bottom of the door line is, it was done by a well known paint shop, anyone know why this could happen, about two weeks after it was painted it went in to have a small part inside the barn doors Colour coded the only thing we can think is the oven has caused it? Cheers
I'd talk to the company that carried out the work, they'd probably want an opportunity to put it right.

I'd talk to the company that carried out the work, they'd probably want an opportunity to put it right.
There going to put it right for sure, I was just curious on what the cause is, fair play to the body shop they are coming to my house later to look at it, the guy is on hols from today so can’t do anything for the next two weeks.

I’m no paint expert but I bought an aftermarket bumper and it had a warning tag that the moulding release agent needed cleaning off.
Just a thought, silicone is a nightmare to clean off, it might look like it’s gone but there will be a very fine film.

There going to put it right for sure, I was just curious on what the cause is, fair play to the body shop they are coming to my house later to look at it, the guy is on hols from today so can’t do anything for the next two weeks.
I hope they'll be able and willing to tell you what caused it, like you, I'd be curious as to what caused it. I'm glad they want to put it right.

I hope they'll be able and willing to tell you what caused it, like you, I'd be curious as to what caused it. I'm glad they want to put it right.
Yeah the shop was distraught when I told them, worst thing is that the people who done my original black textured bumpers didn’t use plastic primer so it bubbled bad front and rear so I spent a fortune on original Vw high line bumpers and gloss grills and yeah it’s a different place I used and it’s happened on a brand new factory primed bumper, I think I want to cry

The last paint repair I had done was made with water based paint, the bodyshop mentioned that it’s much harder to work with than the old solvent based.
That said they should have got the hang of it by now.
Results will only be as good as the preparation, all it takes is one greasy finger. (that ones for @JOG )

It will be paint moisture from improper drying - at a guess, if water based was used.
Solvent based has its issues too.

The last paint repair I had done was made with water based paint, the bodyshop mentioned that it’s much harder to work with than the old solvent based.
That said they should have got the hang of it by now.
Results will only be as good as the preparation, all it takes is one greasy finger. (that ones for @JOG )
Is that like when KFC changed the “secret recipe” and it wasn’t so “finger licking good”?

*asking for a friend!!!

Back