New owner, no idea.....

watsonm13

VIP Member
Hi, new owner of a 2016 Transporter, bought from a car dealers so no support there. Is there a way to test the electric hook up is actually working? There only seems to be the one battery under the bonnet - is this normal or should there be a second battery somewhere else on the van (I can't find one in any of the cupboards).

Thanks in advance

Thank you, solved the first issue... under the drivers seat...

1692962071853986160861372587969.jpgis this the control panel you mean?

16929621430785035819155091499230.jpg

The red light on the circuit breaker box doesn't light up when it's plugged in to a hook up...

After you've tried what @Salty Spuds suggests there is a chance that it's a polarity checker.

So if the sockets seem live but no red light it's worth checking your hookup cable has line to line and ground to ground correct.

Everything appears to work if the mains polarity is wrong but the switches will be in the wrong side, which means if a fault happens the wiring in the van (and anything it might be accidentally touching) would still be live and able to give a shock with the switches apparently off - not great so many installs have an indicator.

After you've tried what @Salty Spuds suggests there is a chance that it's a polarity checker.

So if the sockets seem live but no red light it's worth checking your hookup cable has line to line and ground to ground correct.

Everything appears to work if the mains polarity is wrong but the switches will be in the wrong side, which means if a fault happens the wiring in the van (and anything it might be accidentally touching) would still be live and able to give a shock with the switches apparently off - not great so many installs have an indicator.
How do I check that? It's a standard 10m cable from go outdoors.

Do you have a multimeter?

It's a neon indicator by the looks of it and those do fade over time. Now you know things work try really shading the indicator to see if it's on - the ones on our narrowboat at 20 years old we can really only see at night, but I doubt your van is that old.

How do I check that? It's a standard 10m cable from go outdoors.
Are you sure the light isn't on? it will only be a dim neon & will come on when the ehu is plugged in & on. Get someone to plug/un-plug the cable whilst you watch the indicator

Are you sure the light isn't on? it will only be a dim neon & will come on when the ehu is plugged in & on. Get someone to plug/un-plug the cable whilst you watch the indicator
I will get this tried asap, unfortunately weekend night shifts are going to keep me away from it til Monday :cry:

A cable from a reputable vendor like Go Outdoors (stop sniggering at the back!) is unlikely to have a fault - so I suspect just a dim neon.

If you want to check then pins on the 16 amp plugs/sockets should be:
N - neutral - BLUE conductor
L1 - Line 1 - BROWN conductor
PE - Protective Earth - YELLOW/GREEN conductor

The diagram is for the socket - obviously the plug will have the position or N/L1 reversed when looked at the same way

800px-CEE_16A_230V_Wandsteckdose_Pinning.png

I was going to suggest a socket tester but I find them most useful once you're confident there is no fault in your own kit, then you know any oddness they find is in the site wiring.

I'd suggest the Toolstation one, or one without the buzzer, then you can just leave it in one of the sockets where it's a good reminder. Easier than fixing a dim neon if it turns out to be that.

Be aware that the basic testers are just doing clever things with diodes. The main caveat is they can't detect a swap of Earth/Neutral, usually this is fine as an RCD would trip in this situation. The other reason I like the Toolstation one is it does remind you of this caveat right on the front of it. I wouldn't wholly believe the fault diagnosis, beyond a prompt to check things out.

@watsonm13 connect your EHU and plug one of these in to sockets in van i check outlets on site with one just in case
Get one of these anyway. We keep it in the socket so when plugging in on site you can see you have power for starters and secondly that everything is ok. It would still show if anything’s wrong with your setup even at home

Back