Any idea how my camper electrics work?

Garyf123

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I am having a van day today as it is the first time since i bought it last September that i have had a chance to really explore it! It has a PMS 240v - 12v system (Black box under seat with fuses in) with a leisure battery and a 60w solar deck. If i understand this correctly, the PMS unit is there to solely switch from 240v to 12v? The leisure battery is to run the lights and appliances when off grid and once that's flat, you need an electric hook up? I know i have a solar panel that will hopefully keep the leisure battery topped up but one of the things that puzzles me is how else does the LB charge? From reading other posts, i believe it is a myth that the LB charges whilst driving but does charge up when on EHU? If this is correct, does this mean that whilst on a site using EHU and using lights and appliances, the LB is still replenishing?
Apologies for my naivety but i am new to all this!

Thanks,

Gary.

Best not to let your leisure battery go flat, if there is an electric hook-up, use it. Once on a hook-up the battery should always remain fully charged, no matter what appliances are running.

Need more info on the PMS (Model, manufacturer etc.) before I would have any idea what it does. 60W of solar will give a trickle charge to the battery but won't be enough to run a fridge.

The leisure batteries should be set up to charge from the alternator, it would be a big omission if they don't.

Otherwise really need more info, photos etc.

Best not to let your leisure battery go flat, if there is an electric hook-up, use it. Once on a hook-up the battery should always remain fully charged, no matter what appliances are running.

Need more info on the PMS (Model, manufacturer etc.) before I would have any idea what it does. 60W of solar will give a trickle charge to the battery but won't be enough to run a fridge.

The leisure batteries should be set up to charge from the alternator, it would be a big omission if they don't.

Otherwise really need more info, photos etc.
Wow! Just been reading Dellmassive's article on DC-DC charging - completely over my head! I have attached photos of my PMS and solar controller thingy. I am planning weekends away but not always at campsites with EHU so would really like to be sure i am not going to be electrically embarrassed when wife plugs her straighteners in! Can anyone give me a simple description as to what i need above what i already have and also a recommendation on who can carry the work out within a reasonable distance and hopefully, approximate cost?

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.

Wow! Just been reading Dellmassive's article on DC-DC charging - completely over my head! I have attached photos of my PMS and solar controller thingy. I am planning weekends away but not always at campsites with EHU so would really like to be sure i am not going to be electrically embarrassed when wife plugs her straighteners in! Can anyone give me a simple description as to what i need above what i already have and also a recommendation on who can carry the work out within a reasonable distance and hopefully, approximate cost?

Many thanks in advance,

Gary.
Sorry, forgot to attach pics!

pms1.jpg

pms3.jpg

I posted earlier with some basic naive charging questions but although, other members were kind to me, I am still confused! Basically, I have a converted T6 camper with a PMS 3H management thingy, a solar panel - 60w and a 110ah leisure battery. I stupidly thought this was all I needed for a couple of nights without EHU! I did not realise that the starter battery did not charge the LB whilst running. So, if I understand correctly, I now need a DC-DC charger to allow my LB to be charged from my starter battery. Would this be the answer for a couple Of nights away using lights, fridge, chargers and maybe a tv?
what set up would you recommend and how easy/difficult is it to fit and what sort of cost?

Thanks in advance,

Gary.

98B023D6-CF11-4C31-9A5B-5CC374891B07.jpeg

E4DA88A4-D41A-4994-9A7E-FFA092090B1C.jpeg

5D6DE890-F9E8-49DE-9282-40CADC560440.jpeg

If wired correctly the vans alternator will charge the leisure battery when the engine is running but these units usually use a relay which is not ideal with a smart alternator (stop/start) as they will only ever charge your leisure battery to 80%, the same as the starter battery

In principle, fitting a DC-DC charger is straightforward. They are about £200, but there could be a fair bit of labour to route cables, and find a location for the charger.

A 110Ah battery like you have may struggle to last 2 full nights if you are running all the things you mention.

Also bear in mind that the type of leisure battery you have does not like to be run flat - it will be damaged if you do that.

Pete

In principle, fitting a DC-DC charger is straightforward. They are about £200, but there could be a fair bit of labour to route cables, and find a location for the charger.

A 110Ah battery like you have may struggle to last 2 full nights if you are running all the things you mention.

Also bear in mind that the type of leisure battery you have does not like to be run flat - it will be damaged if you do that.

Pete
Hi, thanks for advice. Can the dc-dc unit not be installed at side of starter battery and cables spliced there with appropriate circuit breaker? My LB is installed at back of van in kitchen cupboard.

Yes, but I seem to recall it is better to site the charger closer to the leisure battery. It’s the same amount of cable however you do it.
Also bear in mind that the charger will need to be waterproof if you mount it under the bonnet, which may restrict your choice.

Pete

Massive update! Look what i found under the drivers seat! Is this a gamechanger or is it not up to much?

sterling-power-battery-to-battery-12v-12v-charger-30a-alt-bb1230-4564-p.jpg

Back