New Member With T6 Caravelle Questions

Nolan

VIP Member
Hi there, I've just joined as I'm looking to buy a Caravelle in the not too distant future. I started looking at Transporter Kombis and I've slowly realised that the Caravelle is what I really want as it's more refined and has more flexible seating. I'll probably be using it to drive to work as well, at least in the winter as I have an Elise I tend to use in the summer.

My question is:
I'm looking at 3-5 year old vehicles which means either one of the first T6's or a T5.1
How much better is the T6? I can see the dash is much nicer and I like the idea of a Euro 6 engine (I'd probably be looking at the 140-150) models. Should I consider a T5.1 or just look at T6?

The only T6's in my price range seem to be SE's but if I looked at a T5.1 then there are a few with Executive trim. Can anyone comment on how much better this spec is? The SE sees pretty decent

The early T6s had euro 5 engines so check before you buy. Someone on here will confirm what date VW moved to euro 6 engines.

Passenger carriers (all caravelles/californias etc) were released with euro 6 engines in the T6 as the rules are different
Passenger carriers had to be euro 6 compliant a year before commercial vehicles so VW never released them as euro 5

Passenger carriers (all caravelles/californias etc) were released with euro 6 engines in the T6 as the rules are different
Passenger carriers had to be euro 6 compliant a year before commercial vehicles so VW never released them as euro 5

Now that is what you call product knowledge, kudos to you. :cool:

Though due to "potential deviations from emission standards in certain vehicles" some customers had to agree to receiving their passenger vehicle before conformity was determined, highlighted in the recent issue of vehicles not be delivered from the 29th November 2017.

VW UK Quote:

"Following investigations, it is possible that a software update for your vehicle might be offered to you at some point during 2018. That update, if implemented, might in some scenarios result in changes to your vehicle’s fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and taxation.

If that kind of software update for your vehicle is made available at a later stage, we will contact you again to let you know about it. The update would, of course, be carried out at the expense of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and carried out at an Authorised Repairer.

We realise that this is disappointing news, and we are very sorry for that. Of course, should you wish to do so, you can decide to cancel your order free of charge or switch to a different kind of vehicle".

Got Velle T6 EU6 engine in Sept 2016 + software upgrade one month ago. Haven't noticed anything , nor compared fuel consumption. Even if it changed for worse, i can't return the vehicle :)
I am aware VW engines pollutes and kills.

Got Velle T6 EU6 engine in Sept 2016 + software upgrade one month ago. Haven't noticed anything , nor compared fuel consumption. Even if it changed for worse, i can't return the vehicle :)
I am aware VW engines pollutes and kills.
Pollution possibilities aside, I'd be blòody annoyed buying a vehicle on certain criteria, i.e. performance and fuel consumption only to find it not being the case after an update necessary to correct an error is implemented.

Thanks for the information.

Am I correct in thinking a T6 will be a lot better? It's a big decision to make from a few test drives! I'm currctly leaning towards prioritising T6 over spec (not that any of the Caravelle specs appear particularly bad anyway).

Thanks for the information.

Am I correct in thinking a T6 will be a lot better? It's a big decision to make from a few test drives! I'm currctly leaning towards prioritising T6 over spec (not that any of the Caravelle specs appear particularly bad anyway).
If finances allow you'd be wise to go for a T6. I liked my T5.1 but the 6 is better.

100% T6, I don't think you need to worry too much about milage; as the T6 Vel is a lovely very well built vehicle.
Personally I would try for a DSG gear box, as it really suits the cruising characteristics of the Vel imo, but as manual gear boxes go, the VW one is very good.

Back