New Kombi To Camper Insurance Query

Ian28

T6 Guru
I’m collecting my new Kombi later this month from the dealer and driving it straight to the conversion company for its transformation to a campervan. I’ll get the V5c changed once conversion is completed.

Do I need to insure as a commercial van initially and then alter the policy once converted (obv choosing a company who offer this) or is there a ‘temporary’ cover I can get for the single drive it makes as a commercial van and then get it insured as a motor caravan/camper once the work is all done and it’s ready to drive as a camper?

We had a policy that covered the van to camper conversion with A-plan (thatcham branch). Just told them when the conversion was completed along with v5 proof, no problems

I’m collecting my new Kombi later this month from the dealer and driving it straight to the conversion company for its transformation to a campervan. I’ll get the V5c changed once conversion is completed.

Do I need to insure as a commercial van initially and then alter the policy once converted (obv choosing a company who offer this) or is there a ‘temporary’ cover I can get for the single drive it makes as a commercial van and then get it insured as a motor caravan/camper once the work is all done and it’s ready to drive as a camper?

Hi Ian

If you are getting it from a VW dealer - they do a free 5 day driveaway insurance. Just did it myself for exactly the same reason. Ask at the dealership.

Rusty

Last edited:
Hi Rusty,

Thanks for that. I’m getting from a VW dealer so will get that sorted.

Ian

Just thinking out loud but if you do that and the 5 day insurance expires then won’t it will show up on dvla as uninsured unless you then sorn it as well?

Hi

Mine is under the conversion company’s insurance while being kitted out and then I will be insuring it properly from the day I pick it up.

Not sure about other conversion companies though.

Rusty

Just thinking out loud but if you do that and the 5 day insurance expires then won’t it will show up on dvla as uninsured unless you then sorn it as well?

Hi Sjacko20, I’m not sure to be honest, I assumed that as long as it was taxed it didn’t to be declared SORN - as long as it’s not driven until insured. Good point.

Does anyone know if you can get the value of your van increased to reflect the added value you put into it when you convert it to camper/day van etc? I've mine valued at 20K unconverted but am going to spend probably 2K+ converting it to a day/bike van.

Just Kampers (Adrian Flux) do a conversion policy that allows you a year to do conversion work. You then send or email them some photographs and a description of your modifications. Pay 15 quid admin fee and they will agree a new valuation with you.

The last conversion that I did (this is number five) my present insurance company didn't query the conversion process simply covered the vehicle and required that I had the V5C changed to show 'Motor Home' at renewal time. This was on a new vehicle and ended up with them agreeing to a valuation of £46,000 on completion of the conversion. The vehicle, now a LWB high roof camper was on the road all of the time during conversion.

Back