Insurance Opinion

rochepaul

Hi, I brought a new 6.1 Transporter van last September and have been doing some conversions myself over the last few months. I have fitted a deiseal heater (bolted to chassis under driver seat), leisure battery, battery to battery charger, ceiling lights, USB ports and power ports. In addition, I have built a removable box which incorporates a bed frame, which when we use it, it is strapped to the fixing points on the floor .
The van is currently insured as a van, and that is all we have used it for during the last 6 months (only done 200 miles).
A few questions -
1. Do I need to notify the insurance company about -
a. the permanent changes e.g. the deiseal heater, leisure battery etc
b. the box / bed attachment?
2. As the box / bed is not permanently fixed in the van is it classed as a campervan?
3. Is insurance cheaper for campervans or normal vans (assuming you do the same milage)?

Thanks for any taking the time to read

Im insured with Brentacre and they ask you to notify them of modifications to your van at no extra cost to premium, I’ve done and had quite a few mods to my van including pop top roof, diesel heater, Van King bed with sliding tray, swing out table to B pillar and much more, but DVLA will only class it as a 6 seater van with windows not a campervan.

John.

IMG_0617.png

Hi, I brought a new 6.1 Transporter van last September and have been doing some conversions myself over the last few months. I have fitted a deiseal heater (bolted to chassis under driver seat), leisure battery, battery to battery charger, ceiling lights, USB ports and power ports. In addition, I have built a removable box which incorporates a bed frame, which when we use it, it is strapped to the fixing points on the floor .
The van is currently insured as a van, and that is all we have used it for during the last 6 months (only done 200 miles).
A few questions -
1. Do I need to notify the insurance company about -
a. the permanent changes e.g. the deiseal heater, leisure battery etc
b. the box / bed attachment?
2. As the box / bed is not permanently fixed in the van is it classed as a campervan?
3. Is insurance cheaper for campervans or normal vans (assuming you do the same milage)?

Thanks for any taking the time to read

my previous van got bumped and ended up as a cat N. The loss adjuster from Direct Line said to me that if i convert the van be sure to list everything on the mods declaration. He had just declined a full right off claim to a van that had been converted but still insured as a van. I even informed DL that I had cut windows in which they were fine with and no extra premium

my previous van got bumped and ended up as a cat N. The loss adjuster from Direct Line said to me that if i convert the van be sure to list everything on the mods declaration. He had just declined a full right off claim to a van that had been converted but still insured as a van. I even informed DL that I had cut windows in which they were fine with and no extra premium
Thanks for taking the time to read and for the feedback. Paul

Back