Another Insurance question

Aggers

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have had the joy of owning my van for 11 months now and just had the call from A Plan to renew my insurance. At A Plan it is insured as a commercial vehicle with social and domestic as well. Last year I had zero no claims due to not having had a commercial vehicle before. This year I have declared one year of no claims.

Since my ownership, I have made various alterations and mods to the van (see swamper build@The Van Cave ).

A Plan is aware of all the changes and adjusts the quote accordingly. As a result, the section to renew has come in at £1,250.

I have just been online and got a quote from LV. Interestingly LV have the van down as 2021 T32 199 4motion Kombi (still a commercial vehicle by virtue it's a T32 and used for social, domestic and work) but do not ask the vehicle's value, which A Plan does.

I also filled in the section on mods to include driving lights, suspension changes, added seats, and nonstandard alloys. I also ticked camper conversion as there was nowhere to add external hook up, increased leisure battery, power sockets inside, roof rack and roof box tent. I think these or similar results are standard on any camper conversion, i.e. pop top = roof box tent.

LV have quoted £575 fully comp.

The questions are, have I declared enough, or am I missing something completely, and as a sole trader, the van was purchased through my business but does it need specific commercial insurance as LV cover work as well?

The reason LV don't ask the value of the van is because, in the event of a total loss, they will use the van's market value to determine your pay-out. If your van is worth significantly more than market value, I recommend you find an insurer that will offer you an agreed value policy. You will pay a higher premium, but you won't be left out of pocket should the worst happen.

The reason LV don't ask the value of the van is because, in the event of a total loss, they will use the van's market value to determine your pay-out. If your van is worth significantly more than market value, I recommend you find an insurer that will offer you an agreed value policy. You will pay a higher premium, but you won't be left out of pocket should the worst happen.
I’m with LV have a list of mods and an agreed value am also a sole trader so commercial use and pleasure also hooked the Mrs’s car in as multi policy and we’re much cheaper than the next best quote

I’m with LV have a list of mods and an agreed value am also a sole trader so commercial use and pleasure also hooked the Mrs’s car in as multi policy and we’re much cheaper than the next best quote
Fair enough, but if the OP didn't provide a value, then it aint an agreed value policy he's being offered.

Think i will call them tomorrow and go through the online quote. Thanks for the info

Think i will call them tomorrow and go through the online quote. Thanks for the info
Yes definitely worth the phone call! I know it’s a pain in the ass but phone call every time for me to make sure everything is agreed and I’m happy

I just spoke with LV. They were very accommodating. I ran through exactly what the van gets used for, i.e. the same as my car or motorbike for getting to and from places of work when needed and occasionally popping to suppliers if items are required for employment. Also listed what alterations have been made and how the roof box tent works (they had to check with their supervisors on the roof box tent), and the result is that they have classified the van as a VWmotorcaravan, with lots of changes from manufacturers standard spec listed and business use as well. More than happy with what they have suggested as the van is not used as a builders van or delivery vehicle which A Plan was listed as due to it being a commercial vehicle (T32) by DVLA description.

Glad you got it sorted! At least with the phone call you can specify your needs and uses for the van plus extras the online stuff won’t allow

I just spoke with LV. They were very accommodating. I ran through exactly what the van gets used for, i.e. the same as my car or motorbike for getting to and from places of work when needed and occasionally popping to suppliers if items are required for employment. Also listed what alterations have been made and how the roof box tent works (they had to check with their supervisors on the roof box tent), and the result is that they have classified the van as a VWmotorcaravan, with lots of changes from manufacturers standard spec listed and business use as well. More than happy with what they have suggested as the van is not used as a builders van or delivery vehicle which A Plan was listed as due to it being a commercial vehicle (T32) by DVLA description.
Did you get an agreed value?

Don’t know if this help…..Year on year my insurance value is reduced helps to get a better quote….but since having the van I took out a one payment GAP insurance policy ( 5 year cover ) …As with new or nearly new vans it’s a big investment and the risks get higher every year….they do tailor risks for older vans/mileage…..Insurers are businesses and want to turn a profit…but if you can spread your costs it sometimes works out cheaper for you

Don’t know if this help…..Year on year my insurance value is reduced helps to get a better quote….but since having the van I took out a one payment GAP insurance policy ( 5 year cover ) …As with new or nearly new vans it’s a big investment and the risks get higher every year….they do tailor risks for older vans/mileage…..Insurers are businesses and want to turn a profit…but if you can spread your costs it sometimes works out cheaper for you
GAP insurance is an option, but there can be drawbacks...

Quick update. After reading a few more threads on here I call Brentacre. In the end went with them. Price was the same as LV but LV was market value in the event of a total loss claim, but I need to install a tracker. Now this may be an issue for some, but I have one on my bike and was considering getting one anyway. So including the tracker and subscription it is still 100’s cheaper than A Plan with an agreed value of £60K with all my mods listed and approved. Next year i won’t have to by the tracker so it should be down to normal prices.

thanks @Bav and @Chippie1 and @VanDamMan for help and input.

Back