New engine time - Caravelle 2016 77k

Surf_star

Had the Caravelle (2016) 11 months, have done 7k in her but have been suffering from high oil consumption for 6 months.
Taken it to Worthing VW commercial to look at and have been under an oil consumption test for the last two weeks. Fresh news in today (which I already knew was coming as did they) that officially it's a new engine needed! Im waiting for a write up as to what the actual cause is, but its been acknowledged as a know issue, which I have read in the forum I'm not alone.
The total mileage in the van is 77K and it burns 7ltrs every 450 miles, no leaks, no blue smoke just burns inside somewhere magical. It's taken this long to truly pinpoint as I do low mileage, engine oil hardly gets over 100 degrees, no long runs. Once I did a few long trips it drinks the oil.

Costs are still to be finalised but are looking like this:
Engine and fitting £10.5k
VW have said they would contribute 70% of the parts cost.
Final bill I have to pay is around £4k
Warranty may cover £2k (I expect a blood out of a stone scenario)

Merry Christmas.

Some might park it in a ford and suck water up the intake, then claim off the insurance. Not that I'm suggesting you should do that.

Had the Caravelle (2016) 11 months, have done 7k in her but have been suffering from high oil consumption for 6 months.
Taken it to Worthing VW commercial to look at and have been under an oil consumption test for the last two weeks. Fresh news in today (which I already knew was coming as did they) that officially it's a new engine needed! Im waiting for a write up as to what the actual cause is, but its been acknowledged as a know issue, which I have read in the forum I'm not alone.
The total mileage in the van is 77K and it burns 7ltrs every 450 miles, no leaks, no blue smoke just burns inside somewhere magical. It's taken this long to truly pinpoint as I do low mileage, engine oil hardly gets over 100 degrees, no long runs. Once I did a few long trips it drinks the oil.

Merry Christmas.
Bad news, which engine code is it?

Sorry to hear that. It’s really not good enough with a vehicle of five years old…. what are VW doing? And they say it’s a ‘known issue’? They should be contributing 100% of the parts cost!

I give up!

I’d want to ensure it is a new crate engine rather than a reconditioned item.

Don’t forget to change the engine number with DVLA - might be prudent to put a copy of the receipt in when you send the V5 off as proof its been changed by official motor engineers.

Whilst any bill for a known fault is not ideal, £2K is a whole lot better than £10k+

VWs contribution of 70% is probably their mark up so its a cost item I'm guessing. No idea what engine code it is as its not with me now. Im happy to be out of pocket a few ££££ for a new shiny engine, as I don't plan on selling it for a long time as its my dream vehicle. The same model, year and mileage vehicles are going for £3-5k more than I paid for it a year ago

Engine code is on a sticker on the cam cover.
If that's not legible, then there should be a build data sticker under the driver's seat on the frame, or on the closure panel next to the pedals. It's also inside the front cover of the service booklet, or the owner's manual.

Merry Christmas.
I'm really sorry to read about your situation.
Out of curiosity could you let us know how good (or not) the service history is prior to you buying the van?

Just out of interest why is it a new engine and not a rebuild - back in my younger days (quite a while ago now!) unless there was a rod thro’ the side you would just rebuild it.

Reactions: DXX
The engine is model CXEB013318
Final costs are in:

VW contribution £6,304
Cost for me to pay - £5,852

£12,156 total which is ridiculous.

Im waiting for a write up as to what the actual cause is, but its been acknowledged as a know issue, which I have read in the forum I'm not alone.
So what was the VW explanation for actual cause.
You mention ‘limited service history’, if somebody has used the wrong spec‘ oil on a TDI it’s probably worse than not changing the oil

So what was the VW explanation for actual cause.
You mention ‘limited service history’, if somebody has used the wrong spec‘ oil on a TDI it’s probably worse than not changing the oil
Their quote does not provide a diagnosis other than saying it's using too much oil, and here is the long expensive list of parts to fix it. I've asked them to elaborate as the warranty company will want more info

Back