Name your best and worst van related purchases.

Samro

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Renogy 170Ah Lifepo4 battery is performing amazingly and I have found this battery so reliable. No frills...... Just an internal BMS which does what it says on the tin:

Something that has performed worse than I had expected and I don't consider good value for money.

Renogy 170Ah Lifepo4 battery is performing amazingly and I have found this battery so reliable. No frills...... Just an internal BMS which does what it says on the tin:

Something that has performed worse than I had expected and I don't consider good value for money.
What's your issues with the Orion?

Best - Renogy DCC50S charger
Worst - twin seat swivel - huge design flaws (many of them)

What's your issues with the Orion?
It gets way too hot for my liking.
It is not well integrated into the Victron product range due to its lack of VE network capability.
I have felt the need to install a cooling fan due to the fact it struggles to run at full capacity:

It gets way too hot for my liking.
It is not well integrated into the Victron product range due to its lack of VE network capability.
I have felt the need to install a cooling fan due to the fact it struggles to run at full capacity:
I was going to change my Ctek D250SE to one but on second thoughts I think I'll stick with it

Can you lay the renogy on its side under a single seat? I’m looking for something low profile as I’m using lower seat bases from Jennings seats to allow for a sportscraft swivel without raising the seat height. The renogy looks like it would be 155mm “high” when on its side, which might work (175mm seems standard but is too high for my bases) but I’m not sure how much space that leaves for other stuff typical in a 12v leisure install.

Do you have any pictures of your install you can share?

Love this thread idea.

Thanks in advance!

Can you lay the renogy on its side under a single seat? I’m looking for something low profile as I’m using lower seat bases from Jennings seats to allow for a sportscraft swivel without raising the seat height. The renogy looks like it would be 155mm “high” when on its side, which might work (175mm seems standard but is too high for my bases) but I’m not sure how much space that leaves for other stuff typical in a 12v leisure install.

Do you have any pictures of your install you can share?

Love this thread idea.

Thanks in advance!
It needs to lay down as it occupies most of the seat space.
Ironically this photo shows my best purchase and worst purchases all under one drivers seat base!
1675435194047.jpeg

Here's the passenger side for completeness:
1675435336117.jpeg

I have Sportcraft swivels over these seat bases.
Sportcraft have 2 types.

My passenger side has the type of base with the big nut on the bottom (which allows seat to be about as low as a swivel seat will allow).
The drivers swivel is the type with the big nut on the top, which allows room for the battery underneath. This makes the seat slightly higher but it is ok. (And I am fussy about driving position.)
The Sportcraft swivels are very good, rattle free with minimal "rock".

Thanks so much for both of these pictures! Useful to see how much extra you packed in there. I have a sub/amp single unit under the other seat, so will require some planning to fit everything in future.

I have the lowest version of the sportscraft swivel but still needed the lower base. It was a combination of having a freakishly long back but also think the van sunroof affected the cab headlining height. On the lowest setting pre-swivel my head was almost touching the headlining, so I had no room for adding any height with the swivel at all.

I think the lower seat base gives me ~145mm of height from the rubber floor, so I might still need to cut it away and the 155m renogy might just fit.

Thanks so much for both of these pictures! Useful to see how much extra you packed in there. I have a sub/amp single unit under the other seat, so will require some planning to fit everything in future.

I have the lowest version of the sportscraft swivel but still needed the lower base. It was a combination of having a freakishly long back but also think the van sunroof affected the cab headlining height. On the lowest setting pre-swivel my head was almost touching the headlining, so I had no room for adding any height with the swivel at all.

I think the lower seat base gives me ~145mm of height from the rubber floor, so I might still need to cut it away and the 155m renogy might just fit.
It will certainly be tight with a deduced height seat base.

The below image is a better angle for you to get an idea of the height when the battery was just positioned under the seat base:
1675527021522.jpeg

It will certainly be tight with a deduced height seat base.

The below image is a better angle for you to get an idea of the height when the battery was just positioned under the seat base:
View attachment 186953
Thanks Samro! That’s a really useful angle.

I have serious envy at all the kit in the picture. My 12v setup was installed for me when I bought the van and I’m just starting to learn enough to consider changes. Looking forward to tweaking it to have it suit my needs more and support potential growth with solar.

Back