My T6 is pulling to the left (RHD)

Have the original steel wheels with trims (mines a Trendline model). Not had laser tracking yet - that's the next thing to do. I'm just a bit miffed I've spend a load of money on a 12 month old vehicle and it doesn't go in a straight line. Just like to know is it a VW thing, or just mine (I'd like to think it is just mine, so laser tracking should solve the issue). Would be nice if the dealer paid for it...
I'm so glad (not glad) that someone else is experiencing this. I'm constantly driving with a slight turn on the wheel to the right. As soon as I straighten it, it'll vear off to the left. I've only had the van since end of January. Until now after reading this I actually thought it was the Norfolk roads with a left camber for drainage but, it even happens if I'm on a motorway! Hopefully my maintenance payments will cover getting the wheels aligned.

@Jonny I expect the dealership will try and claim that you've dropped a front wheel in a pothole :thumbsdown:. Another one from the VW Dealer Handbook of Cop Out Lines :cry:.
Great! Well, I pay hefty maintenance fee each month on my lease so I'm just going to try and book it in and see what's said. I'll report back ASAP.

You should not have to put a noticeable steering input on ANY vehicle to maintain your course in a straight line, this can be constituted as defective steering if it's REALLY bad!

You should not have to put a noticeable steering input on ANY vehicle to maintain your course in a straight line, this can be constituted as defective steering if it's REALLY bad!
I keep my "straight line" steering position roughly 10 degrees to the right. Is that too much?

if i take my hands off the steering wheel whilst driving , i know i shouldn't , it will definitely end up in the kerb. Does that count ?

Last edited by a moderator:
if i take my hands off the steering wheel whilst driving , i know i shouldn't , it will definitely end up in the kerb. Does that count ?
Yes, that counts! - You need wheel alignment but if your van is less than 6 months old take it back under warranty. Otherwise, you have to pay but be careful. I'm now finding out about "steering sensors". Anyone heard of them or understand? Mine still pulls left after two visits for tracking and VW have been rubbish in dealing with it. They seem to think it's OK to pull left and "within tolerance" (but won't say what they are so they can make it up on the spot!) My van was 11 months old and done 12,000 miles when purchased so I think it's back to the supplying dealer for a refund if they don't sort it. Shame, love the van.

Yes, that counts! - You need wheel alignment but if your van is less than 6 months old take it back under warranty. Otherwise, you have to pay but be careful. I'm now finding out about "steering sensors". Anyone heard of them or understand? Mine still pulls left after two visits for tracking and VW have been rubbish in dealing with it. They seem to think it's OK to pull left and "within tolerance" (but won't say what they are so they can make it up on the spot!) My van was 11 months old and done 12,000 miles when purchased so I think it's back to the supplying dealer for a refund if they don't sort it. Shame, love the van.
I can't believe there is any such thing as "within tolerance" for pulling to one side. Yes there are 'tolerances' for the wheel alignment (recently had mine aligned and the non-VW company said fronts were in tolerance, said I didn't care, I was paying so wanted everything lined up bang on) but for the vehicle to steer itself?? Really?
Have you taken it anywhere other than a stealer? Might be interesting to seek a second opinion if you haven't already.

currently on trip through europe, and mine AWD DSG pulls to left in UK but has been straight as you can get this week on the lovely euro roads!

currently on trip through europe, and mine AWD DSG pulls to left in UK but has been straight as you can get this week on the lovely euro roads!
Started reading that and thought it was going to end with "now pulling to the right".
Surely the camber on UK roads isn't that severe?

As both LHD & RHD vehicles are made on the same lines it is almost inevitable that a few RHDs will have the steering set up as though for the continent. I guess this is what may have happened with @Woody438's van.

I can't believe there is any such thing as "within tolerance" for pulling to one side. Yes there are 'tolerances' for the wheel alignment (recently had mine aligned and the non-VW company said fronts were in tolerance, said I didn't care, I was paying so wanted everything lined up bang on) but for the vehicle to steer itself?? Really?
Have you taken it anywhere other than a stealer? Might be interesting to seek a second opinion if you haven't already.
VW are contacting me this week to arrange a "2nd opinion". Been to two tyre garages for tracking but neither could sort it out, although admitted there was a problem. Hence my concern with a "steering sensor". Let's see what happens this week.

Could be worth measuring bottom balljoint to rear suspension arm in a diagonal on both sides and comparing.. This is done underneath using a tape to give a rough check that the suspension arms are equal and is square.. Might be a damaged arm?

Could be worth measuring bottom balljoint to rear suspension arm in a diagonal on both sides and comparing.. This is done underneath using a tape to give a rough check that the suspension arms are equal and is square.. Might be a damaged arm?
Yes, I had considered this issue. Garage confirmed all 'looked' OK but no measuring was carried out. Now (still) waiting for VW to take another look so I will ask them again to check all suspension. I have to say VW after sales has been very poor. Onwards...

Back