Moving roof rack mounting points

Unclebob

Australian member
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'm planning on putting some roof racks and solar panels on my van. If I go a 3 bar setup (skipping the mid-back spot), I can ALMOST fit two 200w panels side by side between the largest gap, mounted to the underside of the bars so that I can still use the racks if I need to without removing the panels... But not quite. From the top, it looks like I could just use a couple of rivnuts a little further forward from the existing points - has anybody done this? Does anybody know if there's extra reinforcing or anything special about the existing mount points that I need to be aware of?

I'd want to look at an empty van (with no inside panels) to see where the Original Equipment Manufactures (OEM) place theirs.

I don't think placing a few rivnuts in the outer skin would leave the van water tight!

Thanks Dave, I'll probably have to pull the roof panel out and inspect myself, I was mainly hoping by posting here somebody may already have done this and could give me some pointers.

The existing mount points rely on a screw with a rubber washer to keep the water out. I don't see why a rivnut would leak with the same treatment, especially if I put some sikaflex in with the rivnut (and with the roof racks on, there's a rubber foot around the base which would help)

I'm now thinking I may move the middle bar to the center of the van and have the two panels sideways, one either side of the middle bars. That'd be more secure and safer for the panels if I'm carrying something

You could ask if anyone local to you has a blank van to look at. The Forum has two currently converting empty ex RAC vans.

I'm not sure how strong the outside skin on the van is. I'm hat for one or two to be ripped out, especially during transit, not to mention what state it would leave your roof in having ripped the rivnuts out of the skin.

Good luck. I need to reread your original post to see if I have any other ideas about how we can help you....
Added.
If you have not already bought a roof rack would you not have more flexibility with roof bars, running parallel to the van's sides, and then you have the flexibility to move the cross bars forward and backwards to fit your needs.

You could ask if anyone local to you has a blank van to look at. The Forum has two currently converting empty ex RAC vans.

I'm not sure how strong the outside skin on the van is. I'm hat for one or two to be ripped out, especially during transit, not to mention what state it would leave your roof in having ripped the rivnuts out of the skin.

Good luck. I need to reread your original post to see if I have any other ideas about how we can help you....
Added.
If you have not already bought a roof rack would you not have more flexibility with roof bars, running parallel to the van's sides, and then you have the flexibility to move the cross bars forward and backwards to fit your needs.
Thanks for the suggestions. I've figured out an alternative strategy so no longer need to move the location. The new plan is getting this 4 bar system Volkswagen Transporter T5 / T6 Roof Racks - KRS Australia which is the lowest I can find, then attaching 2 bars running front to back to the underside of the mounts. The panels I've selected have a gap on the underside just wider than the roof racks without their end caps, so I'll be able to have all 3 panels joined together and lower them over the roof racks to sit on the bars running front to back instead of on the roof racks. The front and back panel will sit over 2 bars each and the middle one will sit between the middle bars. This should result in an increase in height just barely greater than the roof racks themselves. I'll join all the panels together on the outside edges with some T section aluminum along the length of them, with the same between the panels. A couple of eye bolts either side and I'll be able to hook it to the roof in the garage and lift the whole thing off when I need to use the roof racks.

The main challenge now is finding a way to secure it which is easy enough to remove.

It's going to look a bit ridiculous, almost the entire roof will be panels :) I wonder if it'll actually help keep the car cooler since I'll basically be parking in the shade all the time :p

Back