Mounting points above internal rear wheel arch

Transporters

Hi all, some advice on what to do please. I have a carpeted (not done by myself) Kombi van that I am going to fit a forty winks bed into. There are mounting points in the rear of the van above each wheel arch (just off centre) to secure the bed frame. I believe that the screw size is 7/16, as expected two bolts came supplied with the bed. However, after piercing the carpet and finding the mounting holes there is no threaded insert on either side.
Has anybody else encountered this? And secondly, are there any threaded inserts available that I could use. Thanks in advance.

They’re the seatbelt bolts that you are meant to use there, bit strange they’re missing.

You could pop a M10 rivnut in instead and use an M10 bolt rather than their 7/16 UNF one.

Hi all, some advice on what to do please. I have a carpeted (not done by myself) Kombi van that I am going to fit a forty winks bed into. There are mounting points in the rear of the van above each wheel arch (just off centre) to secure the bed frame. I believe that the screw size is 7/16, as expected two bolts came supplied with the bed. However, after piercing the carpet and finding the mounting holes there is no threaded insert on either side.
Has anybody else encountered this? And secondly, are there any threaded inserts available that I could use. Thanks in advance.
Any pics of where you are trying to put the bolts?

i think there are nuts welded to the back side of the metal, have you checked far enough through to find the threads?

@Transporters , are you definitely in the correct spot? If I recall, there are also blank holes around the arch for the panel fasteners.

Here's a picture of my van, pre-carpet. You can see the threaded insert here, just below a blank hole.
inCollage_20220202_215251616.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all. Thank you all for your input, I really do appreciate your advice and comments.

I've checked the holes again and there clearly is no thread there to attach the bed to (see pic). I think what I'm going to do as WinFreak suggested is to use a M10 Rivnut. Thanks again all. Have a good weekend.

20220203_163111.jpg

20220203_163111.jpg

wow, so strange. Rivnuts it is then. All the best with it.

By the way, reluctant as I am to buy new tools for one-off single job, I found a good video the other day showing how to install rivnuts without a special tool. This was news to me and maybe it'll save someone else some money too -

Where are you located?

Maybe someone on here can help you out?

If you’re near me I’d be happy to pop some in. Would have to check whether my set has M10 ones in though!

Thanks for taking the time to find the instructions Bobbybasic, thats very much appreciated!!

WinFreak, I'm based in North Gloucestershire but typically I bumped into an pal today who has a Transporter. I mentioned my issue and what I wanted to do with the rivet nut...low and behold he has the tools. Thanks so much for the offer though!!

Thanks again all for your advice and help!!

Have a great weekend

Hi all,

Seemed appropriate to post here. I have received my underslung gas tank today and I am going to fit this myself. One thing I’ve overlooked is I thought I could nut and bolt the tank frame to the van but the fitting kit has included 4 M10 nut inserts. Rather than fabricating a make shift device I would like to install these with the correct tools and I’d like the tank to remain fitted to the van and not fly off somewhere!

I am based in Southampton, Hampshire and am asking if there is anyone on here local to me that has an M10 nut insert tool I could borrow? It would be a tool that I would purchase for a 1 time use so thought I’d reach out first.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me :thumbsup:

wow, so strange. Rivnuts it is then. All the best with it.

By the way, reluctant as I am to buy new tools for one-off single job, I found a good video the other day showing how to install rivnuts without a special tool. This was news to me and maybe it'll save someone else some money too -
Great link - like that solution!

Hi all,

Seemed appropriate to post here. I have received my underslung gas tank today and I am going to fit this myself. One thing I’ve overlooked is I thought I could nut and bolt the tank frame to the van but the fitting kit has included 4 M10 nut inserts. Rather than fabricating a make shift device I would like to install these with the correct tools and I’d like the tank to remain fitted to the van and not fly off somewhere!

I am based in Southampton, Hampshire and am asking if there is anyone on here local to me that has an M10 nut insert tool I could borrow? It would be a tool that I would purchase for a 1 time use so thought I’d reach out first.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me :thumbsup:
I ended up borrowing a tool from a friend, if I was closer to you I could have possibly borrowed it again to help but I'm far away in North Gloucestershire. Good luck though

I ended up borrowing a tool from a friend, if I was closer to you I could have possibly borrowed it again to help but I'm far away in North Gloucestershire. Good luck though
Thanks @Transporters - im going to give the video link a go, it looks a good solution and definitely a good alternative to not having the purpose built tool.

Back