MOT Failed - Help / Advice needed :(

To me thats a 10min job to sort out and get a pass - looks like the lower nut needs checking for tightness too.

That said I think you dodged a bullet with that one:eek:

When you fit the Stance coilovers you use the original nut off the stock VW coilovers, they will be in the parts bin. I bought new ones when I fitted some Stance coilovers. The nuts were about £2!!!

I think buy a nut and go with your mechanic to recover it. Bunch of jobsworths! An indy would have just called you and fixed it.

Received an image from VW this morning. Amazed they’re not prepared to put a bolt on it so I can drive it to be repaired.

View attachment 104270
Was it knocking/clunking when you drove it? That would be seriously noisey driving like that? You'd 100% notice the noise!!

Makes me wonder if the nut fell off at VW...

Reactions: JOG
Received an image from VW this morning. Amazed they’re not prepared to put a bolt on it so I can drive it to be repaired.

View attachment 104270
I'm amazed that the VW van centre refused to carry out the remedial work in this situation! All that is required is to place the plate back in the correct position and fit a new top nut. They're trying to con you out of over £1000 worth of new suspension when all it needs is a new top nut! The thread on the strut shaft looks OK in that picture, but the only way I can see even the slightest reason not to carry out the work is if the thread is damaged on that shaft.

Surely, adding the nut is the repair!
No can’t - too much of a major to PRS

Not at Liberty during an mot to repair anything and as a dealer they can’t say there is no damage to the shock or thread so they will always go for a high repair, if they stuck a nut on it and it collapsed who would be to blame ?

Nope never heard or experienced any driving issues. I'm in the mild OCD camp so a knocking, a rattle or a squeak I would notice. I would expect some feedback when steering but all has been fine.

VW responded to my request this morning to install a nut, even a temporary measure to get to the independent garage. They confirmed the tread is damaged and cannot be repaired, also would be liable so will not make any changes.

Nope never heard or experienced any driving issues. I'm in the mild OCD camp so a knocking, a rattle or a squeak I would notice. I would expect some feedback when steering but all has been fine.

VW responded to my request this morning to install a nut, even a temporary measure to get to the independent garage. They confirmed the tread is damaged and cannot be repaired, also would be liable so will not make any changes.
Ah, so if the thread on the shaft is damaged it might be worth getting onto Stance and seeing if they can supply you with one front strut. Why the damage though? Was the nut cross threaded when the strut was installed perhaps?

Reactions: JOG
Shite workmanship by the installer these don’t ever just come undone such a long thread too, it’s just been spun on with fingers to hold it in place to attach to hub and forgotten about

Ah, so if the thread on the shaft is damaged it might be worth getting onto Stance and seeing if they can supply you with one front strut. Why the damage though? Was the nut cross threaded when the strut was installed perhaps?
Clonking about I would think

Shite workmanship by the installer these don’t ever just come undone such a long thread too, it’s just been spun on with fingers to hold it in place to attach to hub and forgotten about
Yep! A “Friday afternoon” job! I doubt the thread would be damaged all the way down either

Clonking about I would think
yeah, if the installer has forgotten to tighten that nut then the thread would easily be damaged as it knocked about. OP hasn't reported any knocking noises though. Anyway, I think I would be discussing this with the installer, if they warrant their workmanship there might be an opportunity to recover costs, even if they don't do the remedial work.

That threaded part of the shaft takes minimal load - it simply holds the shock unit in place and most of the time the weight of the van holds it in place (as you have found) If you went over a severe bump or got airborne the nut would stop the shock falling out.

I’d be happy cleaning up the thread and putting a nut on it.

That threaded part of the shaft takes minimal load - it simply holds the shock unit in place and most of the time the weight of the van holds it in place (as you have found) If you went over a severe bump or got airborne the nut would stop the shock falling out.

Agreed. It's not going to fall out but it would be noisey when driving which makes me question how legitimate it is... To the OP I'd pick your van up and drive it round the corner and then get it recovered somewhere else.

Is it just me wondering why anyone would be under the bonnet on an MOT to even see that??

I'm thinking back to various MOTs and don't recollect any MOT places going under the bonnet.?

Unless there was an obvious mechanical knock or something when loading the van on the ramps?...to make them look out of interest?

They even get out of doing a proper job if you have a flimsy plastic lower engine covers.... saying "unable to check due to covers" something like that.

Though I am a firm believer that MOTs are very important and need to be done thoroughly for all Road users safety.

So game on to them for finding it..... but I'd like to see a pic of that they are referring too.?

Are we just saying that they have identified mechanical play in the upper shock when doing the loaded suspension checks?
I doubt the MOT tester would pull the wipers and scuttle panel off as that is not a requirement for MOT, I suspect they could see there were issues by looking up into the wheel arch.
Looks like poor workmanship from initial installation, best check the other side as well.
If the nut and plate is missing it’s amazing that it was classed as a Major and not a Dangerous requiring immediate repair.

View attachment 104270
Mate, from the images and details you give this appears not to be a fault of the suspension but rather the incorrect installation of a product. This could have happened on any coil over kit of any quality. Mistakes happen so before the converter gets a bashing (they deserve so here nfortunately), errors can be made in all walks of life, we like to think they don’t but they do unfortunately. This one is a basic mistake of not refitting correctly, and really should have been picked up during the tracking and test drive stages.

You can go to TPS and get a nut for peanuts and fit yourself, the old nut may also be there if it has rolled around in that compartment. If the excessive play was due to this (probably) that will resolve the problem. If it is in the suspension top mount, you can replace these from VW also but you will need the assembly removed from the van to fit a new one.

You do not need to replace the coil overs just a repair to what is already there, unless they are faulty.

If you are not confident to do yourself, it depends on your location but take to a reputable repair centre who can repair and MOT, Oil in Bognor for example or us in Yeovil Somerset. Advice will be given accordingly and a retest done when the repair is complete.

Main dealers do not always give the best service unfortunately.

All the best,
Ian

Yep exactly. The thread may be recoverable. Worst case you fit a new strut in that corner

Back