MOT Failed - Help / Advice needed :(

Parvus

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi,

I have a 2018 T6 Highline and today it failed it's MOT relating to the front suspension. I'm no expert, so trying to find the best path to solve the problem and hoping people can advise. To my knowledge and experience, the van was absolutely fine and I never noticed any strange driving characteristics or issues.

The MOT was completed by VW Van Centre and they confirmed the front driver side nut and plate was missing in the strut assembly. The van was converted and updated with Stance+ suspension by the converter. VW cannot replace non-approved parts so have provided me two options:
1) Replace 2 Std front suspension, shocks and coilovers @£1200 - makes no sense as likely raise the front and not a matching rear.
2) Replace whole suspension with Eibach coilovers (lowered 30mm) @£1800

I'm wondering can I find someone to replace my Stance+ setup, no idea what I need assume 1 x front. OR do I take this moment to update all suspension to an alternative. Not really the expense I intended from the MOT.

Anyone can help advise, possible suggestions?

Matt
(gutted, van off the road until resolved)

Is an issue with the converters workmanship, if you are still under warranty they should be the first port of call.

Your not committed to just use vw you can take vehicle away repair yourself or arrange this and then get retested, although this has probably gone down as a major so if you wanted to take away you’ll have to get it recovered

@ChrisR is just a hop down the road for you though I think he is suffering restrictions due to lockdown (not deemed an “essential business”, can you believe it?!!)

Thanks all for the prompt responses. I've phoned my local VW converters (BigVKamper) and they've agreed to investigate for me, just need to find out how to get it there. Also contacting the converter to better understand the original install.

Perfect time to get rid of the Stance setup and install something the van is worthy of having.
If the van is in your control now take it somewhere else.

I would take it elsewhere and get some better suspension fitted. However with an MOT failure you can’t drive the vehicle unless directly home or to another repair centre.

Can the original converter not help?

Alternatively You could bring it to us. We are an essential business. We can sort, then re-MOT. And lend you a vehicle whilst it’s done. Our prices are a better than what you’ve been quoted and there are other better suspension options.

PS I don’t think stance sell anything individually, but we don’t really get involved with them.

I hope you get it sorted soon - VW main dealers aren’t the most helpful most of the time!

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations both @T6Paul and @JOG . I am closed due to lockdown restrictions for workshop modification customers, but I'm pretty sure I could make an exception for essential maintenance/rectification work like this. I have a few points to consider though.

1. Would I trust the original converter to try and put this right when it sounds like perhaps a serious oversight has occurred on their part? No I wouldn't, but they would be the first people I contacted to discuss it with.

2. I wouldn't get VW to carry out the replacements, you're paying over the odds by using them, whether it's for the lowered coil overs, or for standard struts.

3. I would replace all of the stance with something of a higher quality, if you have the budget to do so. What I would recommend fitting varies depending on your van variant and what you want to achieve, so that's a whole new conversation.

4. I'm not able to re-MOT the vehicle myself, so using me may not actually be the best option. As Oli @BognorMotors has pointed out in his post above, he can fit various different options of replacements and re-MOT the van all in one place, so if you can get to him, perhaps he's a better option this time.

I too hope you get this sorted as quickly as possible and get your van back on the road, but I would love to hear what the original converters have to say about the issue, but without seeing the problem myself, or having more detail of exactly what has occurred it's impossible to say more on the subject.

All the best, Chris.

Last edited:
Hi all, thanks for all your messages and offers to help - appreciated.

I have contacted to original converters and trust the workmanship and reputation, and they have tried to help, offer advice. Geographically it’s not really an option.

I’ve attached the failure and it does seem to be related to the nut/plate missing, not secured as ‘grim reaper’ highlighted. So odd I’ve not noticed anything when driving, and must have been loose or failed.

I have the local conversion company taking a look Friday and will let me know how I got on. Ideally it can be fixed without a huge expense. If it does require more work and £400+ then I’ll definitely be in the market for something better - I’d rather use the money for something else. I always keep an eye on suspensions threads so welcome any advice. Overall I’m super happy with the van and setup/stance, shame this has happened with something as simple as a loose fitting.

FE435DDA-C17E-4AAB-9B93-20BAB6A4A3B1.jpeg

Hi all, thanks for all your messages and offers to help - appreciated.

I have contacted to original converters and trust the workmanship and reputation, and they have tried to help, offer advice. Geographically it’s not really an option.

I’ve attached the failure and it does seem to be related to the nut/plate missing, not secured as ‘grim reaper’ highlighted. So odd I’ve not noticed anything when driving, and must have been loose or failed.

I have the local conversion company taking a look Friday and will let me know how I got on. Ideally it can be fixed without a huge expense. If it does require more work and £400+ then I’ll definitely be in the market for something better - I’d rather use the money for something else. I always keep an eye on suspensions threads so welcome any advice. Overall I’m super happy with the van and setup/stance, shame this has happened with something as simple as a loose fitting.

View attachment 104245

So to be that looks like a top bearing failure and nut missing or loose. This is how the wording comes across. And I can’t see why the van centre can’t sort it - some do seem scared of any modified vehicles.

Best of luck sorting and glad the converter is helping.

Is it just me wondering why anyone would be under the bonnet on an MOT to even see that??

I'm thinking back to various MOTs and don't recollect any MOT places going under the bonnet.?

Unless there was an obvious mechanical knock or something when loading the van on the ramps?...to make them look out of interest?

They even get out of doing a proper job if you have a flimsy plastic lower engine covers.... saying "unable to check due to covers" something like that.

Though I am a firm believer that MOTs are very important and need to be done thoroughly for all Road users safety.

So game on to them for finding it..... but I'd like to see a pic of that they are referring too.?

Are we just saying that they have identified mechanical play in the upper shock when doing the loaded suspension checks?

Is it just me wondering why anyone would be under the bonnet on an MOT to even see that??

I'm thinking back to various MOTs and don't recollect any MOT places going under the bonnet.?

Unless there was an obvious mechanical knock or something when loading the van on the ramps?...to make them look out of interest?

They even get out of doing a proper job if you have a flimsy plastic lower engine covers.... saying "unable to check due to covers" something like that.

Though I am a firm believer that MOTs are very important and need to be done thoroughly for all Road users safety.

So game on to them for finding it..... but I'd like to see a pic of that they are referring too.?

Are we just saying that they have identified mechanical play in the upper shock when doing the loaded suspension checks?
I might be a few decades out of date but the MOT requires the battery to be securely held, they'd have to lift the bonnet to check that.

Back