Modular work van/camper

joff48

Finally decided to adapt the work van into a dual purpose van ! Still used as a work van so had to try come up with something that could swap roles quickly and not too difficult.

First off was the power unit, basically a box containing everything, battery, consumer unit, 240 hookup, inverter, mains charger, and solar controller. Then basically just 2 units one for a hob and storage the other for a sink. Then a pull out bed. I’d love to build a full camper and get another van but just not quite there yet.

Learnt alot and was quite good fun to be honest and can switch roles in just over an hour, so not too bad. Any ideas how to make it more comfortable, practical I’d love to hear them. Thanks

8E01CC92-9FA5-4DA3-94CE-2C9E24A4D60E.jpeg

64A07F69-0441-44FD-9F4C-3D655CFB3945.jpeg

865FFC60-7426-4DC7-AC9B-0D5CB478BCA0.jpeg

F37C01E4-AF95-4E8F-BD64-D6FC514D585D.jpeg

04851AC7-F6F3-482A-B85C-DD2FBFD0C606.jpeg

314EC847-536B-40DF-BB0A-F187D21FCE55.jpeg

579872ED-5E18-41A4-AD9E-96286C8CAFAF.jpeg

60BAD767-00B4-4463-94CC-6FA3135EA3FB.jpeg

Very nice.

Cotek and Victron, you have some nice kit there.

Solar next?

Then lithium?

Nice work

Could you explain your side window? The penultimate pic makes it look like a normal Kombi window whereas in the 4th pic it looks like it has a much longer opening

Very nice.

Cotek and Victron, you have some nice kit there.

Solar next?

Then lithium?
Thank you !! I have a portable fold up solar panel 150w a tronix….. if my maths serve me correct which may not I am a builder after all haha it should put out enough to power everything i have, Alpicool cooler box, lighting, and inverter with the tv…. I will know by middle of next week as I’m totally off grid for a weeks fishing. I did wonder about lithium batteries, just they worry me a little as they can be fire hazards I’ve heard… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nice work

Could you explain your side window? The penultimate pic makes it look like a normal Kombi window whereas in the 4th pic it looks like it has a much longer opening
Thanks !! Umm it is a genuine vw window, unsure what model… maybe you’re not seeing the curtains . Not sure

Thank you !! I have a portable fold up solar panel 150w a tronix….. if my maths serve me correct which may not I am a builder after all haha it should put out enough to power everything i have, Alpicool cooler box, lighting, and inverter with the tv…. I will know by middle of next week as I’m totally off grid for a weeks fishing. I did wonder about lithium batteries, just they worry me a little as they can be fire hazards I’ve heard… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The LiFePO4 batteries used for leisure vehicles are much safer than Lion batteries used in phones, chargers etc.

Very low chance of thermal runaway. They can still vent, but unlikely to explode or catch fire.

Looking good! Maybe a swivel passenger seat and a table ?

Yes a table would be nice, not sure where I could mount it ? Do you know of any options ?

Swivel seat would be amazing but the raise them up too high unfortunately my partner and people I have in the van are all tall and would be hitting the roof haha. Is there any lower swivel seats ? Thanks

The LiFePO4 batteries used for leisure vehicles are much safer than Lion batteries used in phones, chargers etc.

Very low chance of thermal runaway. They can still vent, but unlikely to explode or catch fire.
Thanks for that information, will take a look into them, would love to keep the weight down ! She’s a Tweeked TSI so less weight would be great for the twisties !

Reactions: CAB
Nice work

The 4th pic is the hole they’ve cut out to put the window in place

Back