Messed up window install T5

nik martin

Hi guys,
Totally new to this. I’m hoping someone can help me with the bit of a hash up I’ve made of installing the windows on my T5.
I’ll go through the basics of what I’ve done and the problem I’ve had.
First time of doing this (no chance of a rehearsal!). Started with the left back barn door window. Followed all the great videos on youtube as a guide of how to do it. Managed to cut the hole out fairly neatly.

Fitted the trim on the outside as I’m looking at carpeting the inside of the door. Did all the proper priming of glass and on the van.
Struggled to get the sealant to come out of the tube. Veins popping, hernia developing etc. Managed to get a fairly decent amount of the sealant around the glass and fitted it. Once dried I realised that the sealant hadn’t sat flat on the door and there are several gaps. Light shining through! Any ideas how to fix it?

Slightly late, I discovered that it’s a good idea to soak the sealant tube in warm water for a short while. This worked a treat. The left back barn door window went on perfect. Smashed it. (not literally). Now I’ve got the hang of this.

Went through all the same process with the sliding door window and all went well. Just a bit of sealant that squeezed out of the top of the bottom edging. No probs I can cover that with the curtains. Or, is it ok to trim it off nearly with a Stanley knife?

The next window was the sliding one on the driver side of the van where the sink and hob is going.

Went through all the same procedure as the other 2 that I did ok.

I’ve fitted the window that is a the sliding one on the driver side of the van where the sink and hob is going. But hadn’t realised that the area to put the sealant on was slightly different than the other door window. When I stuck the window onto the van, the right hand side as you look at it from inside the van, the sealant was on the inside of the edging. Completely missing the primed metal work of the van. I managed to smooth it down with no gaps. But as you look from the outside along the van and glass you can see the back of the edging. I’m guessing that may be a possible water leak problem. (?)

Any ideas as to how I may be able to fix it? Or are there any auto glazing companies that you know of that could maybe remove the glass and re attach correctly?

I’ve fitted kittens and a refurbed several properties over the last few years so I’m fairly competent at using power tools and thinking out of the box. So I didn’t jump into this without thinking how it was done. But man, this is a flipping learning curve. One chance lol.

Help, any advice would be most grateful.

Hi and welcome,

post some pics and hopefully someone can give you some advice.

good luck.

cz.

Hi guys,
Totally new to this. I’m hoping someone can help me with the bit of a hash up I’ve made of installing the windows on my T5.
I’ll go through the basics of what I’ve done and the problem I’ve had.
First time of doing this (no chance of a rehearsal!). Started with the left back barn door window. Followed all the great videos on youtube as a guide of how to do it. Managed to cut the hole out fairly neatly.

Fitted the trim on the outside as I’m looking at carpeting the inside of the door. Did all the proper priming of glass and on the van.
Struggled to get the sealant to come out of the tube. Veins popping, hernia developing etc. Managed to get a fairly decent amount of the sealant around the glass and fitted it. Once dried I realised that the sealant hadn’t sat flat on the door and there are several gaps. Light shining through! Any ideas how to fix it?

Slightly late, I discovered that it’s a good idea to soak the sealant tube in warm water for a short while. This worked a treat. The left back barn door window went on perfect. Smashed it. (not literally). Now I’ve got the hang of this.

Went through all the same process with the sliding door window and all went well. Just a bit of sealant that squeezed out of the top of the bottom edging. No probs I can cover that with the curtains. Or, is it ok to trim it off nearly with a Stanley knife?

The next window was the sliding one on the driver side of the van where the sink and hob is going.

Went through all the same procedure as the other 2 that I did ok.

I’ve fitted the window that is a the sliding one on the driver side of the van where the sink and hob is going. But hadn’t realised that the area to put the sealant on was slightly different than the other door window. When I stuck the window onto the van, the right hand side as you look at it from inside the van, the sealant was on the inside of the edging. Completely missing the primed metal work of the van. I managed to smooth it down with no gaps. But as you look from the outside along the van and glass you can see the back of the edging. I’m guessing that may be a possible water leak problem. (?)

Any ideas as to how I may be able to fix it? Or are there any auto glazing companies that you know of that could maybe remove the glass and re attach correctly?

I’ve fitted kittens and a refurbed several properties over the last few years so I’m fairly competent at using power tools and thinking out of the box. So I didn’t jump into this without thinking how it was done. But man, this is a flipping learning curve. One chance lol.

Help, any advice would be most grateful.
If I was you I would look for a company local to you who can remove the windows and reinstall them for you. The last thing you want is water coming in from poorly fitted windows. It would definitely be worth paying to have them done professionally for peace of mind if anything else (and resale if this is a consideration).

Hi CZ and thanks for the quick reply. I've taken a couple of pics but its a little hard to see the main problem. The worst bit is where its missed the van bodywork all together. So there won't be a seal on the left side as you look from the outside. Not a lot of room to get anything in there. Is it possible for an auto glazing company to remove it without breaking the window and replacing it properly?

left barn door gap.jpg

sliding door window over spill.jpg

sliding window fitting problem.jpg

If I was you I would look for a company local to you who can remove the windows and reinstall them for you. The last thing you want is water coming in from poorly fitted windows. It would definitely be worth paying to have them done professionally for peace of mind if anything else (and resale if this is a consideration).
Hi and thanks. Yes I'm kind of resigned to the fact I think they need refitting. Is this something that can be done? Or will the glass get broken in the process?

Not sure, but as this is a learning curve I would consider as mentioned above and get some pro’s to sort it out!

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. So this is something that can be done? As in they can remove the glass and refit with the proper tools? If so, does anyone know of any companies in my Scarborough area that may be able to do it? Thanks

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. So this is something that can be done? As in they can remove the glass and refit with the proper tools? If so, does anyone know of any companies in my Scarborough area that may be able to do it? Thanks
Yes the windows can be removed without breaking them and be refitted. Not sure of any businesses in your area but I'm sure someone on here will.

Thanks, that's good to hear. As long as I know its a process that can be done. I'll just have to search for someone that can do it. Every day is a school day!

Thanks, that's good to hear. As long as I know its a process that can be done. I'll just have to search for someone that can do it. Every day is a school day!
Just did a quick Google and Yorvik windscreens look like just the ticket, if I were you I'd give them a call.

awesome thanks for that. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Just for info, I cocked one of my side windows up. Plenty of sealant went on but there must have been a small gap, as it leaked quite badly.
Took it to Lancashire Windscreens in Blackburn and they removed it with cheese wire, then refit it. Absolutely fantastic service, cost me £40.
I know it's not near you but it can be done and the guys had no concerns about possible breakage.

Hopefully if I can find someone near me to do that it will great. At that price its defo worth me doing it. I thought it was gonna be a lot more. Thanks to everyone that has commented on my problem. I'm sure I'll be posting a few more of my slight hiccups as I go along and asking for advice. I guess I'm not the only one that has done this with a window install and no doubt I won't be the last.

I was converting a Sprinter for my daughter and had the same problem with the adhesive being impossible to get out the tube. No mention of warming it. Inevitably I needed to remove and replace one of them. Called a local windscreen fitter. He came round with a tool that was a series of pulleys, a big handle and square profile piano wire. Had the window off in a jiffy. Cleaned up the area put his adhesive on and job done. I think it was about £45.

Managed to find a local guy to come and sort my windows. He worked for a nationwide auto window fitting company and came and sorted them on his way back from work. What a total pro. He got the windows out. Cleaned them all off, refitted them properly and managed to cover up the mess I'd made trying to fill the gaps in. Having seen how the pros do it, I'm not sure if I'd bother tackling fitting my own again. I thought it was gonna cost me a few quid to put them right but he gave me a real good price. Would defo us him again.

Managed to find a local guy to come and sort my windows. He worked for a nationwide auto window fitting company and came and sorted them on his way back from work. What a total pro. He got the windows out. Cleaned them all off, refitted them properly and managed to cover up the mess I'd made trying to fill the gaps in. Having seen how the pros do it, I'm not sure if I'd bother tackling fitting my own again. I thought it was gonna cost me a few quid to put them right but he gave me a real good price. Would defo us him again.
Glad you got it sorted, I bet you feel a lot better now, i know i did once mine was corrected.

Back