MB Vito Tourer

dubber36

In a place that few understand
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Sorry lads and lasses, but I've got this Vito Tourer, like a Shuttle, to drive for a couple of weeks. Despite its looks and interior that shows its commercial roots, it drives so much better than my Caravelle. It's badged a 114, which I believe means 1 (tonne payload) 14(0PS)

The ride is so much better, it's quieter and today has done 45mpg, where my T6 would have been in the low 30's. I've been a serial VW buyer for over 20 years, but next time, I'm not so sure. It might not be Mercedes, but there are other vehicles once you take the vdub goggles off.

IMG-20210517-WA0001.jpegIMG_20210518_161940.jpg

I've got this Vito Tourer, like a Shuttle, to drive for a couple of weeks. Despite its looks and interior that shows its commercial roots, it drives so much better than my Caravelle. It's badged a 114, which I believe means 1 (tonne payload) 14(0PS)

The ride is so much better, it's quieter and today has done 45mpg, where my T6 would have been in the low 30's. I've been a serial VW buyer for over 20 years, but next time, I'm not so sure. It might not be Mercedes, but there are other vehicles once you take the vdub goggles off.

View attachment 116600View attachment 116601
No need to apologise for making an honest assessment!
I love my T6 but it's a long way from perfect and I'd certainly consider other brands when the time comes.

Hi.. TheTransporter was too many a vehicle of many faces….it was born the people’s vehicle …but the crown is slipping VW have for years rested on there laurel‘s…but others have learnt …you can’t stand still…my wife’s Skoda is fantastic and where a joke a few years back…But would I change. NO!…..( but electric is coming the world for all will change :cry: )

but as said a fair assessment :)

funny you say that . . .

a work mate has just moved from 5yrs with the Merc Vito and moved to the T6....

his only complaint was the upright driving position that comes with the solid bulkhead. . . . ( he has the panel van version)

I test drove a Vito a few years back and it didn't impress me, dashboard design felt a generation behind the exterior styling and everything inside creaked and rattled. It was the 190bhp with 7 speed auto and felt OK but nothing special the only thing I would prefer is the RWD. While transporters aren't perfect the aftermarket is there to make them so and I doubt that'd be the case for the Merc.

I considered a merc, but given I wanted a camper it’s the ecosystem of camper fittings/kit for VW that swung it for me rather than the base van.

TT tonight and it went in between the first and second row of seats easy peasy. Being the long wheelbase, it would probably take 4 bikes crossways behind the third row, in the boot. It's got really dark tinted glass too, so good for changing in.

Being the Vito, it's all rubber flooring and hard plastics. The radio looks like it's 15 years old and as others have said, it rattles. Perhaps the V Class is better?

It's a shame my Velle doesn't ride as well and drink as little fuel.

That's the South drive. If I move the Polo back a bit further it will fit, however I normally park it on the West drive. Plenty of space there.

I’ve just changed from a Vito sport crew van to a T6.1 kombi and definitely prefer the VW. I had the Vito from new and it was 8 years old with 190 thousand on the clock when I changed it- it was a good van but the Transporter definitely has the edge for me.

You'd also have to put up with Mercedes' legendary customer service! While VW's may be nothing to write home about, I believe Merc's is on another level

Back